Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Hell no.
    Exactly.
    I think honours maths just looks like a difficult subject from the outside until you start it....much like 3rd year maths looks to somebody who is in 6th class.Its just another step up representing no more of a leap than that between primary and secondary.Similarly 'college' maths looks very hard to some but its just another step.The thing to remember is that all of these jumps are based around the knowledge that you already have,so although it looks hard you CAN do it,its just that you haven't yet been shown how maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

lemansky wrote:
    Exactly.
    I think honours maths just looks like a difficult subject from the outside until you start it....much like 3rd year maths looks to somebody who is in 6th class.Its just another step up representing no more of a leap than that between primary and secondary.Similarly 'college' maths looks very hard to some but its just another step.The thing to remember is that all of these jumps are based around the knowledge that you already have,so although it looks hard you CAN do it,its just that you haven't yet been shown how maybe.

very true!!!

im also thinking in the same way OP, but i have heard different stories about honours maths for the leaving, i got 92in honours this year in the JC mocks so i reckon i should be ok!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I don't wanna cause any controversy here, but I think a lot of people don't do honours maths who could.

I agree with you there. For a lot of people in my year, they drop to pass to ensure passing the exam, and use it as their fall subject when in fact, if they made a bit of effort, they'd be able for honours maths. I don't think however that honours maths requires more work than other honours subjects though. I think it requires around the same.
    I got a B in honours maths in the Junior Cert, and am currently at a low C/D level in LC honours. Personally I think that's down to sheer laziness on my part, especially during TY and fifth year. So, we'll see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

I think a lot of people don't do honours maths who could. It's simply down to lazyness for some people. Honours maths requires more effort than other honours subjects.

i agree with that, its the same in my school.

i got a B in my Jc honours maths and 60 in my honours maths pre, maths not being my strongest subject..so i was happy enough. But, i have this revision book which imo is excellent, 'Essential Revision Guide to LC Maths'..it provides sol'ns to all the recent papers and is quite comprehensive. if i got it in 5th year it would have made this year soo much easier, so id advise anyone to get it:D

Advertisement