Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800GTS or 2900XT?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

i want a new graphics card to go with my new core2duo rig , to play Crysis etc at 1680x1050 with as many bells and whistles as possible.

should i buy the 8800GTS now (185 pounds) or wait for the 2900XT to come down in price (from 270 pounds) ?

is there anything else i'm missing? i am a little bit flexible on budget but don't want to go really top end (like 2900XTX or 8800GTX) , i also don't want anything too noisy.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The 8800GTS is the safe bet.

The 2900XT is a gamble at this stage it has performance issues which may be corrected by drivers that would put it ahead of the 8800GTS but that still a big if, it also guzzles power and has a noisy fan the fan can be fixed with drivers but the power cannot.

Advertisement