Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista/XP Wireless/Wired network

Options
  • 17-05-2007 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Help!!!

Just did a clean installation of Vista on my laptop.

Previously when I was running XP on it I had it connected wirelessly to a network along with my desktop (still XP) which was connected directly to my eircom broadband router.

I somehow got the network up and running again the other day but for the last day or so I could not access the desktop files from the laptop.

I tried to build the network again by using the wizard in XP along with my USB key but the wizard cannot complete the network setup.

The only options I see in Vista are for setting up a wireless network which will not work on my desktop as it is not wireless enabled.

So basically:
    how do I set up a home network made up of one PC running XP connected directly to the router and another one running Vista connected wirelessly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Manually configure your wireless on the VISTA machine, enter your SSID/Encryption etc. to match and then connect to your Access Point/Wireless Enabled Router. Leave it's TCPIP set to DHCP/Dynamically Assigned.
    On the Wired machine leave it set to DHCP/Dynamically assigned.
    Set the workgroup on both to match.
    For ease of use create identical local accounts on each machine.
    Add exceptions to your firewall to either allow everything from your local subnet or at least from each machine to the other.
    Run IPCONFIG /ALL from a command line on each PC. Verify they have the same Default Gateway and DHCP SERVER addresses (they should be the same address for both on each machine). PING that address. if that is successful ping from one machine to the other.
    If all of this is successful you have a working network.

Advertisement