Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats The Diffrence Between W and WD Reg?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, what is the diffrence, my car is reg is 99 w 3936, could i get plates and put it as 99 wd 3936, as they are both from Waterford?

-VB-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

W is Waterford City
    WD is Waterford County

Same thing with L and LK.

Don't know about changing the plates though. I doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I didn't even know there was a W reg, is it the same story as L an LK? (city and county)

I can't imagine you being allowed to change it though

This another car VB? What did you get? any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I didn't know that, I knew about TS and TN. Strange that Dublin with yearly registrations numbering 100,000+ only has 1 reg, D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Onkle wrote:
    This another car VB? What did you get? any pics?

LOL no its my almera, one i've always had, picking up my 3rd carina tomorrow:D 171kmls, tb done @160. it's being repainted, puttin elec windows in, will post pics in due couse!!

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ah phuck, 'puter had a spaz there

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Volvoboy wrote:
    As the title suggests, what is the diffrence, my car is reg is 99 w 3936, could i get plates and put it as 99 wd 3936, as they are both from Waterford?

They're completely different registration offices. You'd end up with a number someone already has.

When the system came out in 1987 they assigned letters to the registration offices that already existed. So Tipp got two, for example, and Dublin got one. It might not make sense but does anything in this country?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

DonJose wrote:
    I didn't know that, I knew about TS and TN. Strange that Dublin with yearly registrations numbering 100,000+ only has 1 reg, D.

I remember some rumblings years ago about splitting the Dublin registrations between South Dublin, Dublin City and Fingal. But it obviously never materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think I read that on Wikipedia recently. Makes sense that the new reg system accomodated the counties with 2 offices. Why did Tipp not become T and TY though? Another anomaly I have spotted is that some cars spell the Irish of their county differently. The one I can think off the top of my head is Louth but I have definitely seen it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvoboy wrote:
    Ah phuck, 'puter had a spaz there

You can delete the duplicate post yourself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

The D

Someone had to to it.:D

I'll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Onkle wrote:
    I didn't even know there was a W reg,

Yeah down in the sunny South East there's the wonderful city of Waterford, look it up on the map, get familiar - you know yourself;)

Famous for it's Blaas, Crystal, Val Doonican, John O'Shea, Daryl Murphy, host of the tall ships, you know boy!

OP: W=City
    WD=County

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I think I read that on Wikipedia recently. Makes sense that the new reg system accomodated the counties with 2 offices. Why did Tipp not become T and TY though? Another anomaly I have spotted is that some cars spell the Irish of their county differently. The one I can think off the top of my head is Louth but I have definitely seen it elsewhere.

Tipperary is broken up into two governmental divisions, both have their own county councils. As Tipperary does not have a city its broken up geographicly into Tipperary North (TN) which includes towns like Nenagh and Thurles and Tipperary South (TS) which includes towns like Clonmel and Tipperary Town.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Tanabe wrote:
    Yeah down in the sunny South East there's the wonderful city of Waterford, look it up on the map, get familiar - you know yourself;)

Famous for it's Blaas, Crystal, Val Doonican, John O'Shea, Daryl Murphy, host of the tall ships, you know boy!

Yes I know there is a city called waterford, just wasn't aware that they had a seperate city and county reg plate. No need to try and be a smartass.
    And if John O'Shea was from my hometown I wouldn't be shouting about it

John O'shea Is From Waterford! John O'shea Is From Waterford!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just another example of iggerance of those from outside the Deise I'm afraid. ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

mike65 wrote:
    Just another example of iggerance of those from outside the Deise I'm afraid. ;)

Mike.

Iggerance??? Is that the Waterford word for Ignorance?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

It's all the immigants fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I find it amusing that my licence is issued by Dublin City Council and I pay my motor tax to DCC also although I do not live within it's constituency. Fingal Co Co being my local authority.

I remember people remarking that, if the FL reg was issued, some unfamiliar with the area would associate it with Finglas rather that Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The inconsistent registrations drive me potty.

Why can't each county have a unique two-letter reg? And Dublin should be split into its four constituent councils. Regs with 100000+ on them are not on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mealone42

Tanabe wrote:
    John O'shea Is From Waterford! John O'shea Is From Waterford!!
    His paternal linage is Kilkenny and he is from ferrybank Co Kilkenny ffs:)

mealone42 wrote:
    His paternal linage is Kilkenny and he is from ferrybank Co Kilkenny ffs:)

Ferrybank IS in Waterford ffs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Slow coach wrote:
    Why can't each county have a unique two-letter reg?
    Because they do? It's cities that get one letter. And the Tipp thing has already been discussed - that's the only exception really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mealone42

Strange I live in Co. Kilkenny and I am in Ferrybank!!! Belmont Heights is Co. Kilkenny, Abbeylands is KK, Rockshire Road is KK. Waterford Golf Club is in KK. Waterford Port is in KK. Next............ LMAO

Tanabe wrote: »
    Ferrybank IS in Waterford ffs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mealone42 wrote: »
    Strange I live in Co. Kilkenny and I am in Ferrybank!!! Belmont Heights is Co. Kilkenny, Abbeylands is KK, Rockshire Road is KK. Waterford Golf Club is in KK. Waterford Port is in KK. Next............ LMAO

Jesus, hope that post was worth all the digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We're just planting the area before the surprise takeover! :p
    Jesus, hope that post was worth all the digging.

edit - indeed!

In before the lock.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mealone42 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Kilkenny is North Waterford, isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Because they do? It's cities that get one letter. And the Tipp thing has already been discussed - that's the only exception really.
    Except Galway. But that's because the Co Council's offices, instead of being in Tuam where they should be, are in the City Coucil's area. How contradictory is that. And a snub to Tuam, which must really be a sh!thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

holy thread resurrection ...closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement