Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening port with Irish Broadband HELP!!

Options
  • 17-05-2007 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hoping someone could tell me in basic english how to do this!
    Just got breeze 2MB installed but trying to download files from certain sites i keep seeing this thing about opening ports and id be afraid to go messing with it as im not all that clued up on all these terms:o
    I'm finding downloading certain things is nearly as slow as my old dial up and other than that speeds are fine.
    Am i even posting in the right forum or should i be in computers??
    Hope someone can help me out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Are you using a router or directly connected?
    Are you using a firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

www.portforward.com is your friend

All you need is the make/model of your router or modem/router
    and the name of the program you want to use.
    It'll give you a step by step guide .. even with pics ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Thanks for the replys folks.
    The router i have is the one for the talk package "netgear ta612vsp" on a google search i found portforward site but its not listed:confused:

Should i ring IBB and ask them?It seems a waste having broadband and not being able to get stuff fast.

No ideas on this so folks?Don't know how to do this!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well where is it being blocked?

Irish Broadband don't block ports and the firewall on the router isn't setup to block ports for P2P default AFAIK so it depends on your settings. It most likely is just the windows firewall (assuming your using windows firewall) blocking the port. Just add the program to the allow list in the windows firewall options in control panel.

brim4brim wrote:

Irish Broadband don't block ports

Used to think so but my (well seeded) torrents have been crawling recently, although my connection maxes out for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chaostik

Used to think so but my (well seeded) torrents have been crawling recently, although my connection maxes out for everything else.

Indeed, let me guess: for roughly the last two weeks? If I'm right, please please help by contributing to the other thread on this forum I started about IBB's packet loss issues:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095017

If you are able to try the packet capture I describe there it would help verify my hypothesis about there being packet loss on IBB atm.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

Chaostik have you ever heard of a fixed wireless provider that didn't lose packets. There is no such thing. Packet loss is unavoidable if you don't want it then get DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

That could be traffic shaping, which reduces speed on some ports to maximise BW for other ports. Not sure if IBB are doing it, but it's a possible reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

True. Those people that are losing packets could be sharing their transmission with a business on a 4:1 contention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We had this problem recently. I set the bittorrent ports to use port 80 instead and encrypted the connection. It works perfectly now.

Advertisement