Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any regrets?

Options
  • 17-05-2007 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Did any of you regret doing Transition Year this year??

I loved Transition Year but part of me regrets it because of not working. I'm going to be tossed into an angry bear pit in September with the work just thrown on top straight away and I'll probably have a breakdown :P

Also my friends will be doing their leaving cert.
    And that's just weird.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Awh, I'm sure it'll feel weird seeing your friends graduate before you, one of my best friends did TY and is watching all of us graduate next week, but I think she's just glad not to be doing exams in 3 weeks! I'm sure you'll be fine, just put the effort in from the start of the year and the teachers shouldn't be too hard on you! Seriously though, don't doss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I never noticed a lot of work after TY, maybe because I was grateful for some work or maybe because I just didn't do enough :D

Doing the leaving now, regret that I am not finishing my first year in college now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Phoebus

Nehpets wrote:
    I never noticed a lot of work after TY, maybe because I was grateful for some work or maybe because I just didn't do enough :D

Doing the leaving now, regret that I am not finishing my first year in college now!

The majority of my class including me are looking forward to getting work next year! We miss homework as amazing and unlikely as it sounds.. we just didn't get any work this year. Well we did but it was nothing. So we're looking forward to actually feeling motivated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah I got that towards the end... all the fourth year stuff was really useless and pointless. Though at the same time, it's a really bad attitude to think that just because something's not on the LC course that it's pointless. : ) But I just wanted to be done with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

maybe a few.. like uhm.. probably not getting as involved in school side stuff (prefects,etc) when i have the time to.. but then again, it means i dont get to go home at lunch.. so fk that.

overall i loved it, came to realise who i am and embrace it quite a bit more..(with a bit of help from someone... you know who you are!) had some fun, got to know classmates better(yay:rolleyes:), and who my real friends are

regrets? whats the point. you get one chance, thats it - now you gotta make do with it :) why dwell on the past when you can look to the future etc

but thats just me, eh? :)

CM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Don't regret it at all.. (even though we have to do it in my school) but it was a huge doss (even though we were told from the start that it wouldn't be) but it was worthwhile and beneficial. :) The one thing I might regret though is not getting involved in more things.

But it is getting boring right now. I don't miss homework, but I like to have something to work towards.

Bring on the summer though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I really regret it, I am so worried about fifth year now and a lot of my subjects have suffered, I did all the work we got this year and I was still sitting around doing nothing in school
    I wanted to get involved in lots of extra stuff this uear but there was nothing to really get involved with, my school didn't even try this year.

the only part I don't regret is my friends
    I've made 2 really close friends and I speak to everyone now

Honestly, don't worry about 5th year. Everyone will have a few problems with it, JC people and TY people, but once you settle into it it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i actually after a kinda shakey start (ok not to beat around the bush it was ****e) but it got way better and my year seems to get on a bit better now, except you know, the usual pricks :rolleyes: cant always win

I do on the other hand regret not getting more involved with various stuff, but hell i didnt do too bad, i got a gold fainne etc

Did you get a gold fáinne or did you EARN a gold fáinne? They're giving those things to just about anyone these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

no i earned it, i had an exam i had to get an A in it if i wanted a gold one.
    some people got silver ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i totally regret it, a total waste of a year!! it melted my brain n i almosted dropped outta school in 5th year caus all the work and pressure to totally different to anything in t.y.

sayin that i loved t.y. up until christmas, was real motivated, joined everything, gave everything my all but after awhile the spark just isnt there anymore.. work was going unrecognised, teachers were getting lazy so everyone lost interest..

maybe if u put all ur effort into higher level maths that year or languages it could provide a good base going into your leaving cert course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I regret not getting involved in more debates and not having planned things I was going to do and how to do them in advance, like more singing related stuff but I'm going to do plenty of that in the next year if all goes well. This summer I'm more busy than I was during TY me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Now that I have a job I realise how pointless TY was. We had to do it in our school but I still regret not taking the year out to work full time like my mate did. You forget everything you learned from the Junior (and lets face it, for me that wasn;t much) - you do no work, you get lazy with homework IF you are given it and it's SO boring. The only worthwhile bit is the work experience and even then you have to go to a place that will do more than tell you to get their coffee.

I did enjoy the trips, but they were pure fun not educational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

^^ I felt the exact same after I did TY.
    Didn't have the option to skip it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

I thought TY was good for experience outside of school like work experience and mini company, but i found i got so incredibly lazy when it came to do any homework that they gave us. Im gonna be shocked with what school work is in Septmeber...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It was a doss and it was great.

Real world? pfft... IMO you shoud postpone having responsibility for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

it was great fun great experience, something lyk once in a life,

but it was such a dos, did nuthing and am after gettin lazy n stuff

:( 5th yr going to b tough now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Ugh...

Fifth year. Not really looking forward to it now... though I was when I finished TY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Aurian-loh

I thought Ty was great craic. We got to do what we wanted but we didin't just sit around doing nothing. If we wanted to do something we got permission ourselves and we organised.

We arranged things depending on what people wanted to do after school like we made our own film because a few wanted to work in that area, A few wanted to work in marketing and business so our mini-company was good for that and so wanted to do interior design so we went through the practicalities of design a room including pricing evrything. The for fun we organised a trip to Delphi which was brilliant.

I really enjoyed it and found I was more responsible and knew how hard I needed to work the next year in order to work in the particular area I wanted to work in. I gave me a chance to relax after the pressure from JC (which seems like nothing now). :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It was a good laugh, but I regreted doing it as soon as I started fifth year, if I had skipped I'd be done with school now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DancingRainDrop

yes yes yes yes
    I regret TY so much such a waste of a year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have no regrets, not even driving myself to the point of exhaustion where I literally couldn´t get out of bed towards the end, the summer gave me a chance to relax and take it easy and face into 5th year with as much energy as I can muster! Having an extra year before the LC also gave me a chance to grow up a lot, I think I´ll be able to deal with 5th and 6th year much better than if I´d gone straight from 3rd to 5th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭X-Ecuti0ner

I'm using this as a chance to earn some money, I'm also gonna use this year to get to know the people in my school a little better!

I wouldn't mind doing 5th year but all the work you have to put in, there is too much i'm not ready for it yet... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Johnny88

Yeah I wish I had worked too, and that they had been a 'lil more choosy when they selected the year- they left every tom dick and scumbag into mine lol:)

Advertisement