Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing Comp Science in DIT?

• 17-05-2007 10:28pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

whats it like? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

<---- 2nd year comp science. Hopefully 3rd year soon.

It's good, if you put in the work. It's dead easy to put in the work too, unless you're super lazy like me and start to slack. Once you start to slack there's a kind of snowball effect where you become more and more lazy and attend less and less of your lectures, because you've no motivation. The course co-ordinaters have a nasty habbit of giving sticking rogue classes on your timetable at 5:00 in the evening with a 4 hour break before hand.

Other than that, it's a good course. It's down to personal preference. Depends what you like. There's programming, to hardware, to program design, to the business end of things and law things.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Any idea what you're going to do afterwards?

And do you think you will do the Work Placement? or an optional module like Games development?

Im lazy, but its easy study stuff your interested in :)

Thanks

P.s You only needed 230 points to get in this year :o Why are the points so low?! lack of Interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's a good course, semesterization has helped it a lot, i prefer havin 1hr30min exams for 5 subjects rather than 5 for 3hours (i'm second year also).

1st year was a piece of piss, you could of seriously came in for about two weeks and passed the year.

they realised this and have made 1st more difficult - well not difficult but you do more subjects than what i did last year.

on the topic of lecturers you get good ones, you get bad ones and the few in between, at least they ain't all ignornant bastards though :D.

ohh don't go for work placement if you can't speak english ;):D.

the games module seems very interesting - to me anyways - but i could see it seriously hindering my prospects of getting a job in that area, as you have to be very exceptional at your work in that field.

i'm lazy too, but the main thing is to just attend classes, once you do that it shouldn't be too hard, with study only required during exam times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

conzymaher wrote:
    Any idea what you're going to do afterwards?

And do you think you will do the Work Placement? or an optional module like Games development?

Im lazy, but its easy study stuff your interested in :)

Thanks

P.s You only needed 230 points to get in this year :o Why are the points so low?! lack of Interest?
    I'm taking it year by year at the minute. I don't even know where I'll be next year in third year. If you're looking to see what job opertunities, check out Jobs.ie or something and look at the IT section.

As far as I know, yes, you can do work experience in third year, but I'm not entirely sure about that whole aspect of it all. We were briefed on it a while ago, but I was foolish enough to stay in bed that day. As you do. Give this thread a couple of days and you'll have a few people who have been through third year who can tell you more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks lads,

Is there affordable accomodation nearby? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

conzymaher wrote:
    Thanks lads,

Is there affordable accomodation nearby? :o
    look in the rathmines/harold's cross area, you should be able to find places circa €100 per week.

Advertisement