Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Furnite

Options
  • 17-05-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Looking to paint an unfinished Monks Bench,
    thinking of spray painting to give an even finish.

What kind of paint should i use? Not looking for gloss finish.
    Any other tips
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

It will depend on the finish of the wood on the bench, if there are any rough patches on the wood spraying will show these up, also the type of sprayer you have, if it's an electric one wouldn't advise it on large flat surfaces.

My own experience is:
    Having moved into a second hand house where the kitchen was all pine and "her in doors" didn't like pine, I sprayed all the cabinet doors (some 20 odd) with cellulose paint in the colour and finish of her choice, not an easy job, had to be prep'ed & primed etc., and you do need somewhere to carry out the work (garage etc) because of overspray, but the result was fantastic, a very hard and durable finish, some time later she had the idea that she now wanted the cabinets to be the same colour as the doors !!! I now had a problem, can't spray indoors without major cover up of everything, so I opted for a satin finish oil based paint the same colour as the doors, I didn't want to brush this on as I thought of brush marks, so I opted to use a small "gloss" roller (the foam type), again had to pred & prime, it worked great, you had to look very very close at the two surfaces to know the difference and I think I am the only one that can see it.
    I have since painted kitchen chairs and the lower part of kitchen table with the roller and the results are great. I found that the best way with the roller was to loaded well and no pressure when applying, let the roller apply the paint for you.

Hope that helps in some way ?

Advertisement