Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who won the debate on RTE

Options
  • 17-05-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

So...try to leave your political partisan at the door and give an honest answer!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

Draw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

How do I add a poll again?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm tempted to say that they both lost, but Enda Kenny had the slight edge in a horribly dull affair. It wouldn't inspire me to vote for either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

ahern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Enda was unbelievably bad!!!! :eek:

My mind is made up!

Bring Bertie Back!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I thought Kenny was good. Didn't get as hyper as Bertie and had all his facts laid out well. Fair play to Miriam for going at Berties finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CK.1 wrote:
    Draw
    Ditto , so Kenny benefits more, seeing as FG are riding high in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Bertie. Enda was very poor I thought. Kept on repeating same meaningless statements and party mantras. Ahern was well prepared and got one over him I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Bertie shaded it. Had plenty of clever retorts to Enda's 'contract'. No killer punches from either side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Bertie, by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Started off well but quickly got very boring.

I reckon it was a draw too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Bertie won.
    Enda stafted where that eejit Noonan finished, criticising the opposition left, right and centre instead of selling himself. I dont want a leader thats goin to keep blaming everything on others. keep bertie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bertie, by a mile

Get real,it was 50/50 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yeah you should add a poll

Thought Berti came across better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Kenny stayed calm and didn't fold under pressure. Ahern lost imo, wasn't convincing about the governments track record, refused to answer questions on transport when he was pulled up on them, and couldn't show us anything about his plans for the next government that suggested movement forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

they were both sh*te. watered down bullplop, none of them went into any concrete detail on how they are going to provide the things they promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Enda came across as polite and made coherent points instead of just rambling on like Bertie, who was a bit of a bully and spent most of his time trying to set up straw man arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Boring draw, no knock-out punches from either side.

Kenny started off better, won health,
    Ahern improved, won economy
    After that stalemate.

Ahern was louder and more forceful which some people will say we won because of that
    Kenny came across more sincere and didn't resort to as much spin as Ahern, more statesmanlike

However, If it was Richard Bruton instead of Enda he would have destroyed Ahern

Satisfactory draw for Kenny, no disaster which is what matters for him

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

a draw i think, but I think Kenny will have attracted more admirers as a result of it, as he did come across as Taoiseach material, while Bertie's peformance was a tad below what he has shown he can deliver in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

health kenny, crime berti (which i was surprised at), transport edna, houseing berti, future plans berti....so thats 2:3 by my count

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Bertie shaded it in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

However, If it was Richard Bruton instead of Enda he would have destroyed Ahern

I think i agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

boring boring no score draw...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Enda came across as polite and made coherent points instead of just rambling on like Bertie, who was a bit of a bully and spent most of his time trying to set up straw man arguments.
    On the contrary, it was enda who kept on interrupting and was talking waffle for much of the debate. Bertie was calmer and made points with more substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Neither landed a killer blow, which is disapointing, there were a lot of things Enda could have laid the smack down with but didn't, they both played it very safe.

I feel overall Bertie won.

Enda allowed Bertie to talk over him too much
    Bertie had better body language and seemed more in control of the situation than Enda.

I wasn't inspired by either of them and I have no idea why they didn't look into the camera for the closing speeches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Kevin2006

Enda won. Bertie was rattled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

i think by dominating the debate and being more forcefull and direct bertie showed better taoiseach qualities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

enda lost the health completly.. he may have started strong as health is he strong point.. ended going round in circles..
    bertie came into his own in the ecomony round.. he knew his figures and it should... while enda looked through his sheets for help.
    end bertie looked much stronger confident and gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Marshy wrote:
    On the contrary, it was enda who kept on interrupting and was talking waffle for much of the debate. Bertie was calmer and made points with more substance.

they both interrupted when it suited them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Ah now Marshy... I'm not sure who won it, but I do know one fact as thus:

Bertie Ahern definitely interrupted far, far more.

One statement I will say I agree with is this:

"Kenny came across more sincere and didn't resort to as much spin as Ahern, more statesmanlike"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement