Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The HARD Maths Pop Quiz

Options
  • 17-05-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

Right, so here's the idea, works the same as any other pop quiz topic - someone asks a question and whoever answers it correctly first gets to ask another. Now, as you can see from the title, the subject is Maths(HL) and I've specified that it's hard, so please post only challenging questions, ie. hard part (c)s from exam papers, mock papers, other exams you may have been given, Maths books or even questions you make up yourself(so long as they're on the HL course).

Perhaps if this topic develops fast then after a while we can make a compilation of all the hard questions and use them for self testing.....

Anyway, to set the ball rolling, from 1998 Q3 (c):
    "Let z = cos(A) + isin(A)

Express 2/(1+z) in the form 1 - itan(kA) ; k E Q, z != -1"

(not so much hard as easy to go about the question in the wrong way, I guess. It just sticks in my mind as I, as well as a friend, struggled with it last week)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Derive TanX from first principles. In our maths class today our teacher asked "What are the first principles I've been asking you to watch out for...Sinx, Cosx and....?" To which my mate replied "Tanx".

I shall leave now. Mathsy folk never seem to understand humour. Or at least my humour.

/Gets coat and leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

cson wrote:
    Derive TanX from first principles. In our maths class today our teacher asked "What are the first principles I've been asking you to watch out for...Sinx, Cosx and....?" To which my mate replied "Tanx".

I shall leave now. Mathsy folk never seem to understand humour. Or at least my humour.

/Gets coat and leaves

Damn, I laughed..I'll get my coat too. Also will think about leaving honours Maths*

*obviously not serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Jrembin

f(x) = tanx
    f(x+h) = tan(x+h)
    [f(x+h)-f(x)] = [tan(x+h) - tanx]

=[sin(x+h)]/[cos(x+h)] - sinx/cosx

=[(sinxcosx+cosxsinh)cosx - sinx(cosxcosh-sinxsinh)]
    [(cosxcosh-sinxsinh)cosx]

I don't want to type this out but I multipled out the brackets and then changed cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) to 1 and ended up with

sinh/(cos^2(x)cosh-sinxsinhcosx)

[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h

= [sinh/(cos^2(x)cosh-sinxsinhcosx)]/h

=(sinh/h)*1/(cos^2(x)cosh-sinxsinhcosx)

=(sinh/h)*1/[cosx(cosxcosh-sinxsinh)]

=(sinh/h)*1/[cosxcos(x+h)]

lim h > 0 =

1 * 1/(cosxcos[x+0])

= 1/cos^2(x)

= sec^2(x)

Nobody answered JC's question so I won't ask one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

sigh, spose i may as well give JC's Q a go...

2/[1+cosA + isinA] = 2[1+cosA - isinA]/[(1+cosa)^2 +sin^2A]
    =2[1+cos-A + isin-A]/[2(1+cosA)]
    =[1 + cos-A+isin-A]/[1+cos-A]
    =1 - isinA/[1+cosA]
    =1 -i{[(2TanA/2)/(1}+tan^2A/2]/[1+(1-tan^A/2)/(1+tan^2A/2)]}
    =1-i{[(2tanA/2)(1+tan^2A/2)/(1+tan^2A/2)]/[(1+tan^2A/2 + 1-tan^2A/2)/(1+tan^2A/2)]}
    =1-itanA/2
    k=1/2

if you can read that mess without cringing then i salute you...
    ok, new question...
    proove that 1/log_a^b + 1/log_b^a equal to or greater than 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I hate De Moivres, i just can't do the god damn thing!!

Q3 is lovely but with De Moivres likely to appear i've had to rule it out! Hope to god it doesn't come up this year :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What do you find hard about de moivre's? Seriously, once you get your head around it it's grand. It comes up most years.

Anyway:
    proove that 1/log_a^b + 1/log_b^a equal to or greater than 2

log_a^b = log_b^b/log_b^a = 1/log_b^a

log_b^a = x

If x + 1/x >/= 2
    x + 1/x - 2 >/= 0
    x^2 - 2x + 1 >/= 0
    (x - 1)^2 >/= 0
    Which is true.

Therefore log_b^a +1/log_b^a >/= 2
    and 1/log_a^b + 1/log_b^a >/= 2

Someone else post a Q, I can't think of one right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Prove that n(2^n-1)= n + 1(n all over one) + 2(n all over 2)+ r(n all over r)+...n

where I am using (n all over 1) etc as binomial/combinations notation.

Also find a fraction which can be expressed in partial fraction form as (x+(a+b) divided by x=a) + (a+b all divided by x+b)

I am so glad I saw this thread!lol:D

Advertisement