Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 1.8

Options
  • 17-05-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

What's the attitude amongst those in the trade to the latest Civic? I've bemoaned the lack of engine options for the Irish tax-bands on previous occasions. I've seen a few about and been surprised in particular by the saloon because it hasn't had much press due to it's unavailability in the UK (I saw a black one the other day - gorgeous).

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=673231

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=676928

The specs are pretty impressive (leather!) and as far as I know Honda claim the 1.8 at 140bhp & over 40mpg. That's a nice combo! CO2 figure is pretty good also which could be an advantage in the market in a year or two.

Does anyone know what resale is like? Not many about but I can't help thinking these could/should have a cult following...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pburns wrote:
    What's the attitude amongst those in the trade to the latest Civic? I've bemoaned the lack of engine options for the Irish tax-bands on previous occasions. I've seen a few about and been surprised in particular by the saloon because it hasn't had much press due to it's unavailability in the UK (I saw a black one the other day - gorgeous).

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=673231

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=676928

The specs are pretty impressive (leather!) and as far as I know Honda claim the 1.8 at 140bhp & over 40mpg. That's a nice combo! CO2 figure is pretty good also which could be an advantage in the market in a year or two.

Does anyone know what resale is like? Not many about but I can't help thinking these could/should have a cult following...

The saloon seems to be pretty thin on the ground here especially costing the bones of €26k new. The hatchback seems to be more popular though being less conservative.

They are very well equipped but I'm sure not alot of people in the market for a car this size are thinking of going to 1.8 litre so they could be slow to shift second hand. The 1.4 hatchback is a bit underpowered so I think a 1.6 litre would have been a better option for countries like Ireland. But judging by the limited engine line up and no diesel, Honda have very little interest in the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well it's not Hondas fault we have a stupid nonsensical tax system. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tuxy wrote:
    Well it's not Hondas fault we have a stupid nonsensical tax system. :(

No it's not but other car manufacturer's sell certain models in one country but not in another to suit the market conditions.

For example BMW sell a 316i in Ireland and one or two other countries but not in the likes of the UK or Germany. Others like the Avensis, Vectra and Passat are all offered with 1.6 litre engines in Ireland but not across the rest of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bazz26 wrote:
    But judging by the limited engine line up and no diesel, Honda have very little interest in the Irish market.

Ironically the saloon is an Irish market-only car. It's not available in the UK except as in Hybrid guise (like the previous model saloon was also hybrid-only in the UK). So count your blessings that it's here at all.

I don't think Honda have any real interest in Europe either, their biggest markets being the US, and then Japan.

I'm more disappointed that the current model isn't available in Coupe form, as it is in the US. Especially with that nice 200bhp odd 2-litre engine.

2006_Civic_Si_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I agree with Bazz about resale on a 1.8l car, that's a very big engine for the civic. If resale is an issue, get a 1.4, as that'll sell on much easier (IMHO) than anything bigger.

If resale's not an issue, and you want/need a little extra oomph, then go for a 1.8. Civic is a good looking car, in this poster's opinion, and has always been popular and reliable. Dont' think you could go too wrong, personally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    Honda have very little interest in the Irish market.

Agreed. It still bewilders me though. The Irish are suckers for Japanese (=reliable) cars and Honda just doesn't want to know? :confused:

Fair enough, the Irish economy is not huge, but it still packs a punch these days in new car sales compared to the poverty of the early 90s and before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Honda should import their japanese market civic. I think there may be I.5 litre versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote:
    Fair enough, the Irish economy is not huge, but it still packs a punch these days in new car sales compared to the poverty of the early 90s and before
    There are Honda dealers in the UK that sell more cars in their areas than Universal Honda sell in the whole of Ireland, so for Honda Inc, Ireland is a tiny market, and not worth the hassle.
    G Luxel wrote:
    Honda should import their japanese market civic. I think there may be I.5 litre versions.
    No, only the 2.0 Type-R, the 1.8 and the Hybrid
    http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVIC/grade-data/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Honda were a popular car in Ireland some years ago but thanks to scobes stealing them they became the most stolen car in Ireland. With that everyopne wanted a fast car so they bought a honda, more crashing caused insurance to go up and the abnormally high bhp gets them classed as sports cars as well.
    Parts are generally more expensive too.

All in all as an end user joe schmo who just wants an a-b car Honda is not a good choice.

Advertisement