Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a Dublin Wexford cycle

Options
  • 17-05-2007 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

I'm going away to Africa this summer and as a fundraiser, I'm thinking of organising to do a Dublin-Wexford cycle. I'm 20, and have always cycled, never "long" distance though, only ever to/from college and around the place etc.

So as a noob to the world of intercounty cycling, how realistic is me being able to do this? I'm thinking of scheduling it for early/mid June.

How would I go about organising it? What do I need to keep in mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would say you would easily do it. I'd be in a similar position cycling wise to you and I cycled 160km there a few weeks ago. Wasn't even tired after it, arse was sore and it was boring enough but it's handy enough if you go at your own pace. Just make sure to keep fed and hydrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PrideWinner

hey,cycling 160 k in a day is no problem.Thats getting there.Are you planning to cycle back?.The route down is alot easier on way down than on way back for some reason.N11 can be quite dangerous and tight at certain sections especially near ashford.Factors to consider,a small thing called fitness and a decent road bike.I recently purchased a trek 1200.a good entry level road bike.I wouldnt recommend taking on a journey like that unless you got something equivalent at least or better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Myself and a couple of mates attempted this a couple of months back. I was well able, but one of the lads' legs just couldn't do it and we had to pack it in shortly after greystones. We also brought a tent and far too much stuff in our bags, so we were weighed down a bit too much. Also didn't really plan it well. Ended up taking THE LONGEST ROUTE EVER from dun laoghaire to greystones-up,down and around hills. finally got onto the N11 and that was pretty scary at times. The hard shoulder was fine, but there were parts with road works and no hard shoulder, so this made it VERY dangerous at times.

So my advice would be:

Don't bring too much gear.

If any mates're goin with ya, make sure they're able for it

My mates had stupid €99 bikes with dual suspension-bloody useless! as said above, use a decent bike. I used my rigid hard rock with slick tyres-that was fine.

Do use the N11, but be careful, i wasn't used to it and it scared the life outta me at times. Other times it was fine.

And if you don't make it, do what we did-ditched the bikes at greystones and got the train down to wexford for a couple of days, came back for the bikes and my mate had fresh legs. Good craic.

Advertisement