Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was going on in Applewood, Swords ???

Options
  • 18-05-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what was happening in Applewood in Swords tonight ? I came across a closed road by the Gardai between the last shop in Applewood village and Jackie Skellys. Loads of plain clothes (looked like ERU) and uniformed Gardai with up to 5 cars and vans.

Someone on the scene told me some guy had lost the rag in an apartment, trashed the place, and had a sword.

Guy from some newspaper obviously, with a BIG lense taking shots of people on balconies. People on corners of roads, on balconies - a big spectator sport. Calm but general confusion.

Anyone know more ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

nesf wrote:
    Moved from AH.

oops. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

I live around the corner! Going to have a look will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nesf wrote:
    Moved from AH.
    Should have been moved to Here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How strange. I'm in Dublin South and I've seen loads of Garda cars and the chopper whizzing aroung, but I'm miles and miles away from swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Hmmm I take it this happened a few hours ago coz nothing there now, and Doras was closed!:mad:

Prob hear about in the Fingal Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Should have been moved to Here. ;)

*shrugs*

Like I know where in Dublin Swords is... :p

PCros wrote:
    Hmmm I take it this happened a few hours ago coz nothing there now, and Doras was closed!:mad:

Prob hear about in the Fingal Indo

I was passing at around 9:30 when this was in full swing. People down the pub were talking about it, but all pure speculation and they seemed to know less than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Heard about it as well.Were the plain clothes guys not SDU? The ERU only were plain clothes usually if they're on an operation or think something may go down,rather than if they were called out to something,if you know what I mean...unless they had been on a covert mission before that.They would normally wear tactical gear or the bullet proof/baseball cap combo......just wonderin.

Not sure about the SDU v ERU thing, but I read more about this in the Evening Herald on Friday. What I heard on the road on Thurs night was correct - a guy lost the rag and thrashed his apartment on Applewood Lane. He ran out onto the street waving a sword around.

What I didnt know at the time, and what was in the paper, was that the Gaurds were on an operation with a search warrant at the time having received information that there was drugs on the premises. When they approached him with the warrant he lost the plot and threatened a female Garda with the sword. There was a picture of the trashed apartment in the Herald.

So that probably accounted for the number of Gardai on the scene - they probably had quite a few there originally to deal with the search, and then negotiators from Hardcourt station were called in when the situation escalated.

That's all I know based on what I saw and heard on Thursday on the scene, and what I read in the paper the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Jesus that sounds a bit dodgy alright! Do you know if the standoff lasted long or anything?

Really don't know. I was on the way to the pub and had a thirst on me so didn't hang around :) Looked like it was ongoing for a while by the time I passed - around 9:30 - as everything was calm and there were lots of people hanging around and gardai looking quite casual and relaxed all over the place, but the situation was still live as far as I could see.

Pretty mental.

Oh well, seems like I'm the only one around here that knows anything about this. And there was me thinking boards would be humming with comment around these happenings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

m_stan wrote:
    Pretty mental
    He was a former Central Mental Hospital patient.
    m_stan wrote:
    seems like I'm the only one around here that knows anything about this
    Maybe the rest of us just weren't interested enough. ;)

Advertisement