Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcrowded

Options
  • 18-05-2007 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Is surfing turning into the latest fad in Ireland? Do you think it'll continue to grow and grow? Last time I was down there I met a group of posh D4 Trinity "heads", apparently they were the Trinity Surf Club or something. Anyway one of the girls had never even surfed before, it was freezing cold mid january in sligo and she had all the gear - the board shorts, the Reef flip flops, billabong t-shirt etc... And in fact I met her the following night and she told me she never even went surfing because it was too cold!
    Seems to be a lot of attraction to it for the D4 crew. Strandhill is pretty much JAMMERS every time there are good conditions at the weekends now, so I wont be going there in future. I'm in NZ now and will be here for a while, but the beach I surf at here is in a suburb of the city (the only break in the city), and it's nowhere near as packed as Strandhill on a Saturday with perfect conditions, I can have a whole section of the beach to myself. This is in warmer conditions too! Now I know Strandhill isn't the only beach but Lahinch is the same, as I'm sure are others.
    Is it because it's pretty much the only thing to do outdoors in Ireland? It's great here because there's no etiquette about it, normal people finish at the office and go for a surf. In Sligo you can usually spot the Dublin weekenders a mile away, dressed in all the gear, talking like tw@s...
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm in NZ now and will be here for a while
    so I wont be going there in future

I gues that's one less person on the beach (if I was to think like that)

It's a free country g-punk, bad manners is unexcusable, but country folk are perfectly welcome in Dublin, always have been. I would expect Dublin people are welcome in the country as long as they behave themselves.

As for the girl walking the walk and talking the talk, she is doing no harm. She is young and probably into the "scene" You say she didn't go out surfing in the end then she isn't causing overcrowding, give her a break.
    Is it because it's pretty much the only thing to do outdoors in Ireland?

No. I partake in other outdoor activities.
    Strandhill is pretty much JAMMERS every time there are good conditions

I was there in mid Feb and we were the only ones out (three really cold Dubs)
    In Sligo you can usually spot the Dublin weekenders a mile away

I will continue to go to Sligo at the weekend, I will continue to spend money in the bars, hotels, surf shops and campsites all owned by helpful friendly Sligo people. If I am not welcome, I havent seen any sign of it.

You g-punk are always welcome in Dublin to use our amenities, even if you cause a bit of overcrowding, that's fine. I'm not a D4 Trinity "head" as you put it, but give them a chance, they might be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I did notice that in Strandhill too but there's lots of locals too who drive round all week with the board on the roof but don't surf for months.
    No harm done I think, they won't interfere with the real surfers waves anyway, especially from the car park or seaweed spa:) :)

seaweed spa:) :)

I have a seaweed bath evertime I go to Sligo!

Good for you Lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bagofpeas

Gotta say I agree with Lightening. Ireland is NOT crowded. Going to Hossegor in 3 weeks. THAT will be but its just the way it goes. Surfing is a limited resource but if you cant handle crowds, theres hundreds of quality breaks along the West coast that are hardly surfed at all. Also RE: the surf girl- beginners gotta start somewhere and if she doesnt actually surf she doesnt add to the crowd. Girls in boardies standing around and looking pretty are great!

P.S. If you are surfing NZ try to get to Taupiri bay and Te Ari Point. Beautiful, beautiful spots and great surf. Raglan is also RIDICULOUS! Gonna start getting colder now tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

I don't think Ireland is too crowded either. Sure Lahinch and Strandhill can get busy on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Get down there real early and you can get the place pretty quiet for a while. They do also have the benefit of drawing the crowds leaving the more secluded breaks down the road pretty empty.
    As for D4 heads and that - who cares what anyone does as long as they don't drop in on you

DAVE_K wrote:
    As for D4 heads and that - who cares what anyone does as long as they don't drop in on you

Good attitude... (don't mean to sound patronising there Dave) As long as they leave the place as they found it. No harm in having a snigger at their accents though!

Roight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Dublin surfers are grand :D as for the triners they were down at the intervarsitys and did queit well wining the bodyboard section and cleared up in the expression session.

I found the triners a great craic, they all were surfing, they all partyd hard and were all there willing to lend a hand, i couldnt say anything bad about them and of course there are always going to be posers.

Theres many posers living by the seaside too. As lightening pointed out the D4 surfers keep most local surf shops, small town pubs and cafe's in business, if you dont want them up west we in waterford would be happy to have them.

Iv nothing against posers, they give a good image to the whole surf scene and if there up for giving it a go why not, i run a surf club with 300+ members, only half of them have ever surferd. Go figue but we get a college grant based on teh 300+ and not the 150 so I aint complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I wonder why it is such a southside thing though? As far as I know trinity surf club is one of their biggest clubs but there is only a handful of surfers in DCU. I live on the northside and other than close friends I don't know a single surfer in my area.

Shane_C wrote:
    I wonder why it is such a southside thing though?

I guess Northsiders are more in to traditional sports, soccer, GAA and the like. I'm a Northsider, but have been in to watersports for years. A bit more cash on the Southside might mean access to cars at an earlier age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bagofpeas

go to donnabate and you'll find North side surfers most evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Griff77

There's surf in Donabate? Yea i think there's loads of northside surfers it's just that, our southside cousins stand out that little bit more... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

Bagofpeas wrote:
    Raglan is also RIDICULOUS! Gonna start getting colder now tho

Raglan is awesome, unfortunately it's a 6 hour drive from here. Just back from Lyall bay, beautiful weather/waves today. It never gets as cold here as in Ireland so it's all good.

For the record, I never said I had a problem with Dublin surfers, it's these D4 heads who just jump on the bandwagon and wear all the gear and talk like morons, driving BMW SUVs, wearing stupid Abercrombie hoodies. They just get on my nerves. Not an ounce of craic in them down the boozers, all keep in their little groups. This is what I saw every weekend anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

Shane_C wrote:
    I wonder why it is such a southside thing though?

Because they've seen people surfing in the OC, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Ireland is NOT crowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

It can be crowded at some spots (at some spots 15 people is a crowd) but its not OVERcrowded amd I don't think it ever will be really.

Is surfing turning into the latest fad in Ireland? Do you think it'll continue to grow and grow? Last time I was down there I met a group of posh D4 Trinity "heads", apparently they were the Trinity Surf Club or something. Anyway one of the girls had never even surfed before, it was freezing cold mid january in sligo and she had all the gear - the board shorts, the Reef flip flops, billabong t-shirt etc... And in fact I met her the following night and she told me she never even went surfing because it was too cold!
    Seems to be a lot of attraction to it for the D4 crew. Strandhill is pretty much JAMMERS every time there are good conditions at the weekends now, so I wont be going there in future. I'm in NZ now and will be here for a while, but the beach I surf at here is in a suburb of the city (the only break in the city), and it's nowhere near as packed as Strandhill on a Saturday with perfect conditions, I can have a whole section of the beach to myself. This is in warmer conditions too! Now I know Strandhill isn't the only beach but Lahinch is the same, as I'm sure are others.
    Is it because it's pretty much the only thing to do outdoors in Ireland? It's great here because there's no etiquette about it, normal people finish at the office and go for a surf. In Sligo you can usually spot the Dublin weekenders a mile away, dressed in all the gear, talking like tw@s...
    Thoughts?
    Awh new people taking up surfing and getting in your way? how dare they? I msut say to the next "posh D4 trinners head" that theyre not allowed surf cos some people dont like it and that we want them to stay in Dublin and play rugby or hockey cos thats where they belong.

Who are u to say what people can and cant do??

Elitist crap. Ive been doin martial arts for a long time and am a big fan of the UFC and that has become, so to speak the latest "fad" among a lot of people and i personally think thats great? What exactly is your problem? overcrowding? Ok granted the beach can fill up, but there are plenty of reef spots u dont just have to stay to the beach.....whats ur problem, a girl whos keen but decides its too cold for her? Oh no, how dare she. She should just stay at home and do nothing.

Granted the college surf clubs are as much of a social trip as they are a surf trip but really whats the problem with people enjoying themselves??

U dont like it? Tough balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Not that I completely agree with the OPs point but overcrowding does have a hugely negative affect on surfing. It is a limited resource, there are only so many breaks and they are only working on certain days.

Drawing an analogy to UFC or martial arts isn't really the same thing, ye can really practice that almost anywhere and certainly at any time.

Granted the college surf clubs are as much of a social trip as they are a surf trip but really whats the problem with people enjoying themselves??

Now that's one thing that really pisses me off, if you're out in the ocean it's not a social trip, pay attention! So many times I've seen guys hanging onto their boards chatting away and not paying attention to the sets. As soon as a set comes, their boards go flying. It's not safe and it's not on.

As for girls wearing all the gear and not actually doing it? How bad! :D

Enygma wrote:
    As for girls wearing all the gear and not actually doing it? How bad! :D

I'm all for those skimpy bikinis... surfer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 darrragh

so you are in NZ living and surfing in a city
    Oh god help you ,the last of the great adventures.
    I think travelling is great to see different places surf different waves,and then tell everyone how crap things are at home.
    Crowds in Ireland hell no.a lot of people in the water at the weekends yes 95% just hoping to stand up for a second or two in the wash.they dont get in the way of expeirenced surfers out the back waiting for the sets.

its like going to euro disney and telling your friends "ye man paris has lost its culture"

explore and enjoy

lahinch last weekend I never saw so many people buzzing about surfing ,was a cool vibe . i dont want that madness every weekend but was fun for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I was in Rosnowlagh at the weekend and it was packed. The *real* surfers where out back though doing their thing and making those of us in the wash green with envy. It was jammers but there was still plenty of room. Apparenlty its the fastest growing sport in the country.

Yeah I'm only learning but so was the OP once upon a time. Dunno why you've got such a bee in your bonnet gpunk.

It's booming alright, must have met 100 cars with boards on the way back from Cork-Galway at the weekend.
    I agree the advanced surfer dudes are not affected by the salt water drinkers at the front. Lahinch last night had about 60 surfers in all, about 40 of which were beginners, the big-guys out further weren't being interfered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I was in Lahinch last week giving it a go for the 1st time, and I was hooked! It was quite busy and at times avoiding action was needed once I was up on the board beach bound. I went down with a group of 11 others. In the end I felt that 3/4 of them would be happy to do it again, while the rest found it tiring and frustrating at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

having surfed ireland, australia, france and california, have to say the vibes in the water were worst in ireland by a long shot. Just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Gonna get quite crowded this weekend I bet......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Was in Lahinch last weekend and was shocked at the difference 10 years makes. When I tried out surfing in Lahinch 10 years ago the surfers were few and far between and only one shop. For a while that shop didnt even rent gear (insurance reasons). Now look at all the shops and schools!

I have recently taken up diving and hope it doesnt explode like surfing has - purely selfish I know but...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

yankinlk wrote:
    Was in Lahinch last weekend and was shocked at the difference 10 years makes. When I tried out surfing in Lahinch 10 years ago the surfers were few and far between and only one shop. For a while that shop didnt even rent gear (insurance reasons). Now look at all the shops and schools!

Oddily enough, LaHinch wasn't all that busy on Saturday, considering the swell was to hit its peak. Sunday, the place was rammed. I had to leave the water on account of a couple of collisions, near misses, and several incidents where I had to roll off the board before catching a wave to stop myself plowing into people in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

OP get over yourself,... for a nicer life lose the prejudiced attitude to those who may appear to have the trappings of a privileged life, the TCD surf club are a real decent bunch, who happen to like surfing, who knew??...we've met them out once or twice in the pub and they are great craic, next time instead of muttering into your pint why not pop over and have the craic with them,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 longboardirelan

crowds are just going to get worse which is why out of the way spots not named already in surf publications should be kept quiet for the enjoyment of all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 local surfer

I think beginners are interesting to watch, in 15 minutes you can get a good idea of who will stick with it and those who dont. Different stoke for different folk I guess.

Advertisement