Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcrowded

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

im just about to go out for my first time...

is it wrong for me to try or will i be subjected to this elitist crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

The ocean is not belonging to anyone, and for most people they don't mind anyone starting, or just trying it out. As long as you follows the rules you wont annoy anybody. I suggest that everyone try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Only if you go to a certain bay in kerry.....:)

Tho if it's silver strand, I'd imagine that its too big a place for any overcrowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You'll only meet friendly folk if you are starting off on one of the well known spots (Lahinch beach, Strandhill etc).

Have fun, btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

stick to the main beaches and you'll be sweet. :)

Perhaps its worth mentioning that its is the same elitist crap that provides you with all the stoke you get when you make your first barrel (or top turn or even when ya get 'down the line'):D at that great spot that you found with your mates with no-one else out by taking some random turn off the highway rather than following the masses of lemmings to usual spot X. ;)

goto strandhill / lahinch / whereever learn to surf

then go surf and explore!! and when you score good waves keep it shhh and don't advertise it on the web. its your (and the locals) spot [figure of speech you /they dont actually own it :rolleyes: ]. but you found it so now you and your close buddies should reap the rewards - which is a quiet and mellow session where your wave count is good and the vibes are even better cos its just you and your mates. :)
    You Dont Have to pay $$$$ to take a boat trip to whereever for uncrowded spots you can do it here but only as long as the tradition of keeping unnamed spots quiet continues. :cool:
    Otherwise everybody with access to a computer will get in on the action that you found through a bit of knowledge/ reading the charts / ordnance survey maps/ whatever and maybe a bit of savvy and this will eventually spoil it for everybody. :mad:

its not elitist. its the way it is. its part of surfing and if you are not a surfer you wouldnt understand anyway so please no more freedom of speech and irish laws. :rolleyes:
    having surfed ireland, australia, france and california, have to say the vibes in the water were worst in ireland by a long shot. Just an observation.
    Have to Disagree with you there. Having surfed all the places you listed and a couple others i can tell you that the vibe in irish waters by international standards is not bad at all. Its unfortunate that you picked up some of the bad vibes here (ive had it too :( ) but they are way worse elsewhere indo and hawaii spring to mind.
    That said I'd imagine if some other spots where named and described the vibe at those spots may change dramtically.

As for that Gpunk -
    1. Ireland (strandhill included) is not crowded or "jammers" as you put it which I might add is a very dublin sounding expression for someone with a chip against D-Reg crew!! :o
    2. If you are a sligo local what a ya copmplaining for? there are a mint of better waves than strandhill all within a 1/2 hour of sligo town.
    So come one buddy! - take ya skirt off and suck it up and go surf one of those smoking slabs. that is of course when ya get back from NZ ya lucky bugger!
    See you in the water fellas (and ladies!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Gumby wrote:

its not elitist. its the way it is. its part of surfing and if you are not a surfer you wouldnt understand anyway so please no more freedom of speech and irish laws. :rolleyes:

man the irony is not lost on you. Look at the part of your post after you say "it's not elitist". it's wreaking of elitism.

the localism I have experienced (even on well known beachbreaks) in my short (but varied) surfing time in Ireland, is ridiculous.
    I was surfing with an English guy the other day, and he pointed out the fact that every outsider you talked to in the line-up was sound and every local was quite unfriendly, and he wasn't wrong.

Secret spots and the naming of them etc., is just silly. Unless you are a fish of some sorts, the ocean does not belong to you. So deal with it.

Did you actually walk around unaided to find the 'secret breaks'? no you probably used an ordnance survey map. Should the ordnance survey remove certain spots from their maps to stop people finding these breaks? Obviously not.
    If you can show me a 'secret spot' being flooded with a load of problematic beginners after being named on the internet, then it might be a relevant topic for debate.
    But right now it's a bunch of arrogant idiots getting annoyed about their 'code' etc.

Pretty funny really!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 squeeba

ya take up kitesurfing!
    alot more room to ride, and alot less people bitching about newby rides and alot more encouragement to progress rather than being shot down cuz of where you are from or what level of riding your at...

www.lsdkiteboarding.com

Advertisement