Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works near Charlestown

• 18-05-2007 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with the big road works just on the Tuam side of Charlestown, some sort of big bypass?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's the Charlestown (and Carracastle) N5 bypass. It continues the Swinford bypass eastward by a goodly chunk, ending around halfway between Carracastle and Ballaghadereen.

The roadworks outside Charlestown are for an overpass that will take the N17 over the N5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hm so I suppose it'll be useful for my Tuam => Sligo run. Mind you, i've never been held up much in Chaslestown

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Only insofar as it will take traffic out of Charlestown, and facilitate through-traffic on the N17.

Actually, the logical next step is to give right of way to N17 traffic through the town, and deprioritise traffic on the old N5. Don't see it happening, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

There is a second N17 Charlestown bypass which is in final planning. It will begin about 2 miles before the airport on the Galway side, head east crossing the new N5 and then rejoin the old alignment somewhere after the village of Curry. That should help the Sligo - Galway run a lot.

Advertisement