Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we 'No longer Free' to choose our lifestyle ?..

Options
  • 18-05-2007 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that our elected representative's, are abusing the power's vested in them !, they are and have introduced legislation that has taken away our 'sense of freedom as individuals'.

1: We can no longer smoke where we wish, yet the tax/duty on tobacco is exhorbitant.

2:r VRT on motor vehicles is prohibitive to our right to travel.

3: Petrol tax only adds to this injustice.

4: You can not build a house, so that you can raise a family in a location of your choosing.

5: You can not get a job for which you are qualified, in your own County.

Are we living in a Police State, and what effect is this having on our younger generation ?.

Should we all work for the State, instead of trying to work for ourselve's and becoming exploited by our financial institutions for life ?.

This is just a few of my concern's for the new generation. What do you think, am I becoming paranoid.:(

What happened to the right to live 'the simple Life' ?.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

1: We can no longer smoke where we wish, yet the tax/duty on tobacco is exhorbitant.
    They are protecting the vast majority of non-smokers. The tax helps discourage taking up the habit.
    There's a lot of Money going to the road network - M1, M50, Ashbourne bypass, Monaghan, carrickmacross, castleblaney bypasses all of which for example improve access to the north-west.
    To a northerner, its a gift.
    4: You can not build a house, so that you can raise a family in a location of your choosing.
    Agree on that.

Elected reps can only do so much and can't work miracles.

Are we living in a Police State, and what effect is this having on our younger generation ?.
    None I think.

Should we all work for the State, instead of trying to work for ourselve's and becoming exploited by our financial institutions for life ?.
    Life is what you make of it.

This is just a few of my concern's for the new generation. What do you think, am I becoming paranoid.:(
    I'd keep on looking over my shoulder.

What happened to the right to live 'the simple Life' ?.
    Paris Hilton had to go to jail... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Paris Hilton had to go to jail... :D[/QUOTE]

That bit I do not get ?.. I have alway's my nights at Hilton Hotel's :D .

P. :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Paris Hilton had to go to jail... :D

:D Pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Complaining about Petrol and Vrt, one will have to rise for the other to fall.. If they abolise VRT then we can expect to pay as much as they do in the UK on petrol..

Can't get a job in your own county this is a world wide problem(or not) if you are highly skilled you will probably have to go to the work you can't expect a pharmaceutical or IT company to open up in every county.

Police State - maybe we will be put at the moment there aren't enough bobbies on the beat.

Building well I think in the NW maybe they should relax so of the planning regulations but in Dublin you can see many examples of bad developments which are causing problems in education and transport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Paddy, I don't agree with anything you've said. I wouldn't want to live in the country you're describing.

I don't think that anyone automatically has the right to smoke, when someone's behaviour is objectionable to others, as smoking is, then it just shouldn't be allowed, full stop.

Your ideas about transport and housing are part of the old fashioned belief that people should be allowed live and go where they please and let the environment bedamned. Nowadays, in the 21st century, being allowed travel where you please is another way of saying that you can drive wherever you please - causing traffic congestion, endangering the lives of pedestrians, and polluting the environment. Hence the use of petrol tax and VRT as a way of reminding people that their use of their cars and petrol has damaging social and environmental consequences.

Being allowed live where you please in a country like Ireland, which has a dispersed population, is unsustainable in the 21st century. This just leads to water supply damage due to all the septic tanks and pedestrians being killed by all the extra car traffic. Also the cost of services, electricity, phone etc. are huge because of the enormous cost of getting these out to the remote locations. Some counties are better than others at restricting this, but in my opinion nowhere near enough is done to require people to live in or very near the nearest town or village. Isolated settlements in the middle of nowhere just shouldn't be allowed, full stop.

You can't expect jobs to be available in all counties for all types of work, Irish people are not mobile enough - if work won't come to you (which it won't) then you have to go to the work. Trust me, you need to be realistic - when big businesses look at building in Ireland, they immediately write off most of the country as underdeveloped and dodgy. This isn't gonna change.

>This is just a few of my concern's for the new generation. What do you think, am I becoming paranoid.:(

I would be concerned about the younger generation if the things you were saying, were NOT the case.

• Advertisement

spacetweek,

Your comments are interesting and welcome, but IMO invalid.

P.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Paddy20 wrote:

There are extremely good reasons for all 5 of these. The tax on smoking is designed to cover the burden it places on the health service, which it just about does. VRT is on vehicles because they're considered a luxury rather than a necessity. There probably should be an exception for rural car owners, but there isn't because it would be impossible to enforce. Most city dwellers have no real need for a car. Petrol is taxed to conserve its use (it does damage the environment after all) and help fund public transport.
    If everyone were allowed houses everywhere, we'd be in Bulgaria. There's a reason for planning permission, my qualms lie in the way in which it's granted, not the concept.

And Paddy, no one owes you a living. You choose to do your qualifications, and you find your own work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Paddy20 wrote:
    spacetweek,

Your comments are interesting and welcome, but IMO invalid.

Far from invalid I think he has made some very good points.

looksee wrote:
    Far from invalid I think he has made some very good points.

My opinion at time's is controversial, but is based on personal experience and my age , work it out for yourselve's ;)

Advertisement