Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would make up turn you off a guy?

• 18-05-2007 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just curious...as you all know I do!...and it is something a lot of women question me about!..Has actually enhanced female friendships....similar interests...very welcome in girlie circles...but think it has affected my relationship rating!...How would you feel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

A bit of black eyeliner is hot on some guys (hello Billie Joe Armstrong), but most Irish guys don't have a face like his so no.

What type of makeup do you wear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i kissed a guy one night when i was in college, me and my friend saw him the next day and he was wearing makeup...it was like this orangy colous foundation..i STILL get mocked over it....8 yrs later....
    So yes, big turn off for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Perhaps he was allergic to you, broke out in a rash and needed to cover it up the next day! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Filan wrote:
    Just curious...as you all know I do!...and it is something a lot of women question me about!..Has actually enhanced female friendships....similar interests...very welcome in girlie circles...but think it has affected my relationship rating!...How would you feel?

I'm presuming you're a hetrosexual male. I have long hair and I often talk about hair products with my girlfriends, however, if I was ever hitting on a girl I would never ever talk about such matters - it would make me come across as a bit of a lady-boy. I'd apply this logic to makeup too (to say nothing of course about whether you should be wearing it in the first place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

moridin wrote:
    Perhaps he was allergic to you, broke out in a rash and needed to cover it up the next day! ;)

possibly, but i met him about 5 yrs afterwards at a college reunion and though i didnt notice the make up that night (maybe cos it was dark and i might have been a bit drunk) but the next day when i met him in a pub he definaltly had the orange makeup on..and i'm sure i didnt kiss him when drunk....(or did i....?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Nala wrote:
    A bit of black eyeliner is hot on some guys (hello Billie Joe Armstrong), but most Irish guys don't have a face like his so no.

Completely agree!Russel Brand Is incredibly sexy with his black eyeliner

panda100 wrote:
    Nala wrote:
    ...(hello Billie Joe Armstrong)...

By these standards, we're talking about 0.0000001% of guys here.

This won't stop some guys wearing makeup however.

Only a matter of time before they start selling eyeliner in Topman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

If ever I go out with a girl...or even if romance is even a vague possibility...they ask me why I'm so interested in make-up...so well definitely dosen't help my cause!....Was wondering whether many women would be ok with this!...or could be if they were with the right person? If you loved them in other ways would it still be a major obstacle? Yes I'm heterosexual but often mistaken for being gay...unsurprisingly!

Filan wrote:
    If ever I go out with a girl...or even if romance is even a vague possibility...they ask me why I'm so interested in make-up...so well definitely dosen't help my cause!....

Then stop acting like you're interested in makeup! just wear it if you really have to and don't talk about it.
    Filan wrote:
    Yes I'm heterosexual but often mistaken for being gay...unsurprisingly!

I'm probably being somewhat presumptious here but there are probably a lot of girls out there who have said to themselves: "lovely guy, shame he's a poof though". Is the makeup really worth it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Big no no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would be a turn off for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

No would never go out with a guy that wore makeup!!

How much makeup are you talking about anyway?? There's a huge difference between a bit of eyeliner or a full face of makeup (foundation, mascara, eyeliner, gloss)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

panda100 wrote:
    Lol, you must have zero standards.

David Bowie wore eye shadow and is married? Was it for money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

why in gods name do u wear makeup if your straight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

J.S. Pill wrote:
    By these standards, we're talking about 0.0000001% of guys here.

This won't stop some guys wearing makeup however.

Only a matter of time before they start selling eyeliner in Topman.
    Johnny Depp!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Nala was totally right, a bit of eyeliner looks great on guys (Ewan McGregor, Brandon Flowers, Billy-Jo... even Tobey Maguire looked hot when he wore it in Spiderman 3!) but I think anything more than that can be a bit difficult to pull off. Although once it's applied well and suits you, well, it may not be such a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Tbh, wouldnt go NEAR a guy with makeup. but thats just me, everyone likes different things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Most guys can't even dress with any taste. Most should probably stop wearing crap shirts because they're in stock (so they most be cool, right?), using too much "product" in their hair and covering up B.O. with Lynx. It'd be a good start before moving on to makeup. Less is more.

Thank you Cat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I personally love men in make up. I especially love the 80's glam metal look on a bloke, in other words, the full works, foundation, blusher, lipstick, eyeshadow, etc. Goes really well with the long hair and tight leather. You should move to sweden, alot of straight blokes wear make up there and it is considered normal, no one bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I personally love men in make up. I especially love the 80's glam metal look on a bloke, in other words, the full works, foundation, blusher, lipstick, eyeshadow, etc. Goes really well with the long hair and tight leather. You should move to sweden, alot of straight blokes wear make up there and it is considered normal, no one bats an eyelid.
    Give it enough time and it'll be considered normal in other parts of the world as well. In Oz the male skin care/make up industry is starting to boon. Personally I have no issue with anyone wearing make up as long as it is correctly applied. The point of make up is to enhance your appearance so as long as it makes you look better and not worse then who could complain?! That said I think it'll take awhile for that opinion to become mainstream here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

david_bowie_gallery_labyrinth_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I think what a man does in his bathroom (re: face masks, moisturiser etc) is his own business. But I doubt that blusher and foundation out on the street will do anything to up his masculinity quotient. If Johnny Depp and David Bowie have had lady success in their time it is depsite make-up, and not because of it.

I had an interview a few weeks back and my girlfriend put spot concealer on a troublesome spot I had. I'm a convert, it really covered that bastard up.

Hmmm, not sure about David Bowie there. Was thinking more along the lines of Joey Tempest or Vince Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

personally i wouldnt go out with a fella who wore makeup
    eyeliner is the worst

Yes Sweden appears one of the world's most liberal spots. Ireland isn't the most advanced in that sphere. Even most of continental Europe is considerably more liberal. My German lecturer said that she considers Ireland conservative. Ireland will change..but takes 20 years or more for the wind to reach us! Ireland was a world leader only in stopping people smoking....remains neanderthal in many parts

If you want to wear make up, then wear make up. If a girl doesn't want to date you because of it, then she obviously isn't the right girl for you anyway. Just be yourself and you will find a girl who really appreciates you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Let lads express their individuality. Clothes, shoes, hats, hair, makeup, cars, whatever. But p-l-e-a-s-e ... no Victorian era cod pieces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I would only go out with a guy who wore makeup if he was David Bowie, and seeing as only 1 in 6.9 Billion people is David Bowie I don't think I'll have much luck there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Let lads express their individuality. Clothes, shoes, hats, hair, makeup, cars, whatever. But p-l-e-a-s-e ... no Victorian era cod pieces!

What about makeup AND cod pieces?

Codpiece.jpg

Filan wrote:
    Yes Sweden appears one of the world's most liberal spots. Ireland isn't the most advanced in that sphere. Even most of continental Europe is considerably more liberal. My German lecturer said that she considers Ireland conservative. Ireland will change..but takes 20 years or more for the wind to reach us! Ireland was a world leader only in stopping people smoking....remains neanderthal in many parts
    Lol, we're backwards because we find it odd that some guys want to wear as much make up as their female counter-parts?No no buddy, I think you'll find that a lot of the world possess quite the same view on that. If you want to do yourself up like a transvestite without the clothes, by all means go ahead, but don't think you can label those who look at you and think "how odd" as neanderthals.

Also, if you're plastering yourself with make up, it must say a whole lot about your own self-confidence, which may in itself be a problem to these women that aren't warming up to you.

A bit of eyeliner on Billy Joe and other punk/emo people is fine, usually looks well tbh, but a guy (who isn't in a movie/a model going to a shoot) putting on blusher, foundation, concealer, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick etc. every day...LOL is all I'll say.

I've lived in Sweden, Holland, Norway and the UK and in all of these (and other places that I've been on holiday) I've seen lots of blokes wearing make up and no one thinking anything of it. Maybe Irish blokes are not confident about their own sexuality, and therefore need to act macho and take the piss out of those that don't. Just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

What do your male friends have to say about you wearing makeup? If any bloke I knew started putting on a bit of foundation before a night out he'd get some amount of abuse(justifiably!).

I've lived in Sweden, Holland, Norway and the UK and in all of these (and other places that I've been on holiday) I've seen lots of blokes wearing make up and no one thinking anything of it. Maybe Irish blokes are not confident about their own sexuality, and therefore need to act macho and take the piss out of those that don't. Just a thought!

Or maybe Irish guys are confident in the way they look as is and don't feel the need to use make up?

• Advertisement

maybe, although from what i've seen, alot of them could do with a helping hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

maybe, although from what i've seen, alot of them could do with a helping hand.

Yeah. Every other country has far more better looking guys. That's horsesh1t. It's exactly the same percentages worldwide. There's nothing wrong with the fact that Irish men aren't totally emasculated yet.
    Did you know that Germany has by far the largest population of people whose genes contains neanderthal DNA.
    In the eighties, plenty of Irish guys went the poodle rock way (and were slagged) and the way of the New Romantic (also slagged). So we've been there and done that. It just looks crap. You'll find the French and Italians aren't into big hair and eyeliner, and I reckon (correctly) that these countries are somewhat better regarded as homes of style/cool/fashion. Sweden,Holland,Norway and most of the U.K. are not. The Japanese like that crap eighties look though. If that's any consolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

il gatto wrote:
    Most guys can't even dress with any taste. Most should probably stop wearing crap shirts because they're in stock (so they most be cool, right?), using too much "product" in their hair and covering up B.O. with Lynx. It'd be a good start before moving on to makeup. Less is more.
    lol, this applies 100% equally to women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'd lay off the MU til your in a relationship

You'd just be sendin out the wrong signals

what makeup do u wear? And, are you emo? [serious Q]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i think eye liner and nail polish is hot:)but like ive seen some really really dodgey looking guys with eye shadow half way down their face not a good look at all,i suppose its how you wear it really,I'm guessing you do in a rock sort of a way:D i remember you from the tattoo and piercing section lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

JC 2K3 wrote:
    lol, this applies 100% equally to women.

taking the piss? french girls:D

but eh.. back on topic...

make up on lads.. tis a bit too much in fairness..

I'm quite alternative..how alternative I don't really know!...exploring myself. Led a very refined, straight life..that I never really felt at ease with..too many rules and regulations..trying to break from that.

I have promised myself that if I do wear make up that it won't be badly applied....yes a lot of men do apply it badly...and if it's a choice of being badly applied or not at all I'll choose not at all..I have standards!....And yes any woman will have a choice...but I won't change who I am to attract a woman. It would be lovely if they were attracted to me and not someone I'm not. Better to be alone and be myself than in company and acting..acting is very hard work..and from past exsperience..sooner or later acting causes cracks and maybe eventually breakage!

i think it looks a whole lot better with piercings:)but thats just my opinion,its probably just because i love them,il have over twenty next week,i plan to g get a few new ones:)

Hi, Saranne yes I can see how make up and piercings are likely to look well together....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

You're yet to say what kind of make up you wear? I dont think any girl can give a proper answer to this without knowing if its the whole hog of foundation, eyeshadow, blush etc or just a spot of concealer. Personally I wouldnt be able to answer honestly until i knew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 poptart007

think it looks hot on some guys - Russell being one of them but some guys look silly wearing it, doesn't suit them at all
    Wouldn't stop me from going out with someone though - unless they looked silly then i'd gently tell them...
    Depend as well what type and how much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭starlight07

GOD NO!!! Make up is NOT for guys, a little bit of metro is ok, but make up is taking it too far.

Ok..I'll reveal all!..I had the whole lot done in Brown Thomas twice the past month...that means green-blue eye shadow, mascara , foundation...blusher..lip pencil..pretty much the lot...actually felt really good wearing it..not for any particular reason..just enjoyed looking like that!..but I wouldn't attempt to apply that myself!...I'm experimenting really...! I accept that most prospective girlfriends would not be allured by such..but hey I can only be what I am!..don't have to be this way every day..but on a regular basis..I simply like it!...piercings and tatoos also

Filan wrote:
    Hi, Saranne yes I can see how make up and piercings are likely to look well together....

i did it for my friend and it looked deadly:)i jabbed him in the eye with the eyeliner a few times in the process but well worth it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Eye-liner on guys is always fabulous. Always.

• Advertisement
Advertisement