Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would make up turn you off a guy?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm still undecided, I certainly don't see anything wrong with it, sometimes indeed it looks cool but usually its really badly done and waaay too much just caked on, don't think I'll be doing it any time soon tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

unless its david bowie, i think its a big no no! well imo of course, i'm sure some girls like the emo/bank kids look. no offense op- not getting at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion ..I respect that...wouldn't want to change them. We all have different tastes...in wine..meat..beer..fish..clothes..and I'm sure women..or male facial appearance...natural!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

if you like it stick with it it doesnt matter what anyone else says:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Filan wrote:
    Just curious...as you all know I do!...and it is something a lot of women question me about!..Has actually enhanced female friendships....similar interests...very welcome in girlie circles...but think it has affected my relationship rating!...How would you feel?

Makeup would be a huge turnoff for me tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

On TV/ Films: Yes (Mmm, Johnny Depp).
    In real life: No thanks, unless it was just a discreet bit of eyeliner on eyes that are already dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't get it at all. Not against it as such but the eyeliner look on blokes looks kinda seedy or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Eyeliner is sexy, foundation is not. Most Irish women can't apply foundation properly, so I doubt men would either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Have to agree with the above poster - I love eyeliner on guys, but anything beyond that just would be a complete turnoff.

I wouldnt like to be kissing someone whos face would rub off on me, and sometimes I don't understand how guys don't feel the same.

• Advertisement

It just turned off a nice girl yesterday..wasn't even wearing any..but decided it was best to be honest and tell her that I liked it...that ended that!...I suppose most women don't want another woman...and make up could possibly be seen as digressing Gender boundaries? If they want another women they find a friend? A boyfriend plays a different role..any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I think if it makes you happy then you shouldnt be asking us, peoples opinions vary and if you're happy with it then the person you're with should be too, otherwise they're just not the person for you. If nobody else you should be able to be yourself around the person you're with, right?

I'm growing comfortable with it myself..was more insecure when I first placed this thread..but my confidence has grown. Yes I agree a relationship should make both sides comfortable...if one side has to act..it defeats the purpose. I ain't a good actor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

I posted at the start of this thread - thinking makeup was a big turn off but was watching hollyoaks at the weekend (major hangover which explains why I was watching it) but found myself thinking that guy chris that wears all the make-up was kinda hot!! Very surprising!! Still not sure tho whether I would date someone that wore a ton of make-up! It would be slightly strange having to fight for the mirror and wondering whether your boyfriend had nicked your good lip gloss or favourite eyeshadow! But I am even surprised I found him hot so it just goes to how people can change their opinions!! Wear what you feel comfortable in there is nothing wrong with being an individual!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Filan, you are reminding me of a friend of mine. He, being a die-hard metal fan, had long hair and spent his whole time wearing metal T-shirts and boots. By the age of 19, he still hadn't found a girlfriend and decided his metal look was to blame. So he cut his hair short, ditched his metal outfits for some trendy ones and started acting like a chav as well, where he had previously been a shy, polite young man. He began frequenting chav nightclubs and soon lost his virginity. In fact, he became a man-whore and had a different girl every night. The girls who sleep with him now wouldn't have looked twice at him when he was dressed the way he wanted to dress, the clothes he felt comfortable in.

Well, he can have a different girl every night now, but still no girlfriend, because he has changed himself for the purpose of finding a girl, they're never going to be interested in the real bloke underneath. It's a shame because he was such a lovely, genuine bloke before I'm sure he would have found a nce girl who liked him for himself eventually.

Just make up your mind, what do you want more: to pull girls who are only interested because you pretend to be something you're not, or to be yourself and eventually find someone who accepts you for what you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Personally, I think make up looks good on quite a lot of guys and I usually find it more turn on than turn off (as long as we're not talking about drag queen proportions!). It may have all started when I dated a guy in college with the most amazing green eyes, fair skin and long black hair, who wore just the right amount of eyeliner and eyeshadow for it to look great (although he was equally as gorgeous with the make up too). Tbh, since then I've had a bit of a thing for putting make up on men, even if they'll only let me do it in private :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Turn off for me tbh, just looks too feminine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

As a gay man (not in the scene) I would have an issue with my partner if he decided to wear make up on a pub night out. The way I see it everyone is slowly trying to achieve this model front page look (all I can say is - try working on your personality first, it might help). If you want to go ahead with it, do it, but you should understand where to stop. I’ve had a few nights out where I thought yeah they look alright but when they walk around town in the daytime I can’t help but laugh internally. Personally the majority of them look like clowns on their lunch break. This whole metrosexuality “to me” is just getting out of control, straight men need to straighten up, it seems my gaydar gets wonkier every day.

BTW, if I’ve treaded into some kinda under 20 Gothish thread then forgive me. I understand that the majority of yous have pain to unleash into this world and eyeliner helps to achieve this (in someway).

believe me I am trying very hard to decide who and what I am... I am more than just a guy wearing make up for fashion..I feel the need to be that way..to a certain extent..but was always afraid to express it..because society and especially male society, disapproved and excluded me . Anyway that's best suited to...and am discussing it elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

it would put me right off - men wearing foundation just freaks me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gemgem182

Hi filan just to let you know that i think that if women highlight there best features wearing make-up then there is no problem with men doing it

My biggest weakness in a guy is sallow skin brown eyes and very dark hair and if he should choose to wear eyliner and mascara to excentuate that fact then so be it but personally the thought of a fat ginge with freckels wearing make up full foundation and pink eyeshadow makes me cringe you just have to kno what will suit you if you can pull it off then go for it but i draw the line at eyebrow plucking seriously avoide that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

As long as it's nice I don't see what's wrong with it. I'd prefer if someone made an effort rather than going around stinking the place up. But with both girls and boys too much slap is always gross. If you're not sure, less is more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Filan, you are reminding me of a friend of mine. He, being a die-hard metal fan, had long hair and spent his whole time wearing metal T-shirts and boots. By the age of 19, he still hadn't found a girlfriend and decided his metal look was to blame. So he cut his hair short, ditched his metal outfits for some trendy ones and started acting like a chav as well, where he had previously been a shy, polite young man. He began frequenting chav nightclubs and soon lost his virginity. In fact, he became a man-whore and had a different girl every night. The girls who sleep with him now wouldn't have looked twice at him when he was dressed the way he wanted to dress, the clothes he felt comfortable in.

My boyfriend is like the way that guy was, a bit scruffy, with long hair and band shirts, but that's just what I like. Some people would prefer a more feminine looking guy but you'll never be able to please everyone. Not even John Tucker can do that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

~nop~ wrote:
    I wouldnt like to be kissing someone whos face would rub off on me, and sometimes I don't understand how guys don't feel the same.

We do feel the same! There's nothing more vile than a girl caked in make-up. I don't know the first thing about make-up/fake tan/women's clothes etc., but it's shocking how many women get things wrong that I could even fix.

I think women should learn what do to with make-up before guys start wearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Eyeliner looks cool on Johnny Depp, but otherwise, no. Then again, I don't wear much make-up myself so it'd be quite freaky to be with someone who wears more than I do! As other posters mentioned, for me its about confidence - I just don't feel the need to wear a full face of make up every day and I'd prefer to be with someone who was also that comfortable in their own skin. (No offence OP, each to their own ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Make up as in fake tan and all that are a HUGE no-no. However eyeliner and nail varnish are a HUGE turn on for me :cool:

Some of you may have seen my input on the G.L.B forum....that I really struggle to fit the conventional binary role...very uncertain as to who or what I am....don't know if I'll ever reach conclusions..so trying to accept that confusion. I can move from very masculine to very feminine in both behaviour and appearance..an feel that both are me..find it hard...no impossible to conform..so it's not just about make up...make-up is a manifestation of conflict within me...I want to look a way that leaves me open to exclusion...that's it...hands up!

Would love to find a girl who would accept this variation....and a lot do...as friends...but most are scared of a relationship or even dating...a friend even suggested that I should frequent gay venues as "a girl with bi-tendencies might be more understanding"...maybe....I stand out most of the time as "gay"..even though I'm heterosexual....and well relationships haven't worked for me...I cross the gender boundaries...and I've yet to find a woman that accepts that...I know a few cases of such relationships working...even met a girl whose partner is actually a full-time '-t-woman'..but a biological male..and they are very much in love..she firmly believes that it is his right to be what he feels...and is actually a Trans equality activist now..and while I don't expect to wish to wear a skirt or high-heels feel the principle is similar.... Wish I could meet such women single!

Regards!
    Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Make up on a guy would be a massive turn off. Don't think I could date a guy wearing make up it would freak me out. I was reading a magazine today and there were lots of tinted moisturisers and powder foundation for men, so some men must wear it! I just about let my partner were normal moisturiser. Feminine men is a no no for me. I like hair and for men masculine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

When I think guys with makeup, I think Alice Cooper tbh..
    But eyeliner YES lol
    But only if it will suit you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i think it depends on what kind of lifestyle you lead if you accept it or not,its mostly rock type guys that wear it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I have a massive thing for guys with eyeliner...but they have to have the right look....on the Killers lead singer I just melt :D Nothing wrong with a bit of concealer to cover a spot or two either but anything more would put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't think I could go out with a guy that did not wear make up.

Advertisement