Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to a new bike

Options
  • 18-05-2007 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

I've had a trek 810 for about 6 or 7 years now and want to upgrade to something a little better. I do most of my cycling on roads and rarely go off road. When I bought the bike wanted something sturdy to get from place to place. I've recently had to give up running due to an injury so want to start cycling more to keep my cardio up. I think I'd rather have something with bigger wheels but with straight bars like my current bike as well as lighter. I guess I want a cross between a hybrid and my mountain bike. I like having the front suspension but is this really much use to me? I was thinking something along the lines of this Trek 07 7100 or this lapierre fron the cycle superstore. Any views? If I'm looking around town have you any advice where to go or where to avoid, are any places a rip off. I won't go to cycleways as the last two bikes I've bought there resulted in 6 stitches and the second time a dislocated shoulder due to their negligence. And as for my old bike, am i better off just trading it in? I went into a shop on wexford street and they said they could give me €100 for it or that I would get about €150 myself if I sold it. I'm thinking it might be handier to trade it in, I've gotten a lot of use for the cost of the bike anyway. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Sorry to move away from you post, but could you please elaborate on the bikes that resulted in your injuries? If this is too off the point please do delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

I'd forget about suspension, it isn't needed for on-road usage, it will slow you down and quality suspension is *very* expensive, you won't find good suspension systems on entry level bikes.

I wouldn't fancy either of the bikes you are considering, both are poor imo. I don't know the Trek 810, but it has to be pretty poor for these new yokes to be an improvement. I'd spend a little bit more and look at Claud Butler or Giant hybrids. These brands offer decent quality in the lower price segment.

Imo there are no real rip-off places, there are shops that are relatively expensive like Hollingsworth, but you may get a bit more from those shops in other ways. That said, Irish shops are a tad expensive when compared to their UK counterparts, but that's due in no small part to economy of scale, 21% vat etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sorry to move away from you post, but could you please elaborate on the bikes that resulted in your injuries? If this is too off the point please do delete
    First bike I bought they put mud guards on badly, few days later one of the metal bars popped off while I was cycling and stuck into my leg. Second bike I bought was assembled incorrectly, I had it about ten minutes when I had to jam on the brakes and the brakes hadn't been tightened properly and the cables came loose. No brakes, back of vehicle, dislocated shoulder.

Membrane wrote:
    I wouldn't fancy either of the bikes you are considering, both are poor imo. I don't know the Trek 810, but it has to be pretty poor for these new yokes to be an improvement.
    My old bike is a just above entry level bike I guess. I've had no problems with Trek which is why I was going to stay with them. I've had a giant before which was a nice bike until it got whipped. So maybe something from Giant like this or this? My main use of the bike would be commuting around the city but I want something for longer spins too. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'd say you'd be pretty safe with either of those two Giants (notwithstanding assembly errors!). Another option would be the FCR range, the FCR3 being the entry level one (http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=11339). These are usually described as "flat-bar road bikes". I believe the geometry of the frame, the gearing and the wheels are closer to those of road bikes, whereas the other Giants may be closer to mountain bikes in those respects. I use an FCR3 for commuting and it's nifty - very quick, although a slightlier bumpier ride (as you'd expect from something with thinner wheels than a mountain bike).
    FX Meister wrote:
    My old bike is a just above entry level bike I guess. I've had no problems with Trek which is why I was going to stay with them. I've had a giant before which was a nice bike until it got whipped. So maybe something from Giant like this or this? My main use of the bike would be commuting around the city but I want something for longer spins too. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Thanks GR, that bike looks pretty good but I need to keep the budget below €500. What are bike shops position on haggling? Will I get much knocked off? Can I expect them to throw in mud guards? I'll want a decent lock with it so will I get this from the shop? I've been using a semi decent U Lock but think I should go for a hardened steel chain and padlock on the new bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

One of the Giants you linked to has front suspension, a no-no in this price category imo, the other is a bit heavy. Like Ghost Rider I'd look at the flat bar road bike FCR3 entry level model, not the "Gents city bikes" category.

Alternatives to the Giants are the Claud Butler Chinook or Levante (both are also "flat bar road bikes"), the Levante is a bit more expensive than what you are currently looking at, but lighter than the Chinook due to a carbon fork instead of a steel fork.

Well you're dead right to think about the locks at this stage. I bought an Abus u-lock for about 90 quid with mine and I use it along with a fairly thick Kryptonite cable lock, which cost me about 35.

As for haggling, I don't know. I didn't get very far where I bought mine but they did give me 10% off anything else I bought e.g. the locks, mudguards, a pannier rack and a couple of other bits and pieces I needed. Another consideration is that that particular FCR3, although described as the 2007 model, is actually about to be superseded by another model (described, somewhat humorously, as part of the FCR "Spring collection": http://www.giantbicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/125/28831/). So you might make that point to the sales person...

If the budget is fixed, then I'd factor in two decent locks of two different kinds (e.g. cable and u-lock). I've always thought it better to have two and that does seem to be the consensus around here.
    FX Meister wrote:
    Thanks GR, that bike looks pretty good but I need to keep the budget below €500. What are bike shops position on haggling? Will I get much knocked off? Can I expect them to throw in mud guards? I'll want a decent lock with it so will I get this from the shop? I've been using a semi decent U Lock but think I should go for a hardened steel chain and padlock on the new bike.

I used two for a while but then got lazy so stopped using two. So if I go for the road bike will it still be comfortable to ride on regular slow cruises with friends? Will it have a low riding position?

I find the riding position very comfortable. Because of the flat bars, it's not significantly different from that of a mountain bike.
    FX Meister wrote:
    I used two for a while but then got lazy so stopped using two. So if I go for the road bike will it still be comfortable to ride on regular slow cruises with friends? Will it have a low riding position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi, If you haven't picked a bike yet have a look at Edinburgh cycles- this one is £280 and delivery costs to Ireland are good (£35). It's a very nice bike and it's their own brand (so you get good quality- Shamino Alivio, but without paying the big price for branded bikes.

It has 7 gears instead of the normal 21/24 so easier to use. To me it looks good for commuting or leisure cycles. You can put on off road typrs for the infrequent off road cycles.
    I have an older version but am thinking of changing to a newer one.

They also do their own brand of hybrid and urban bikes.
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=7844&f%5FSupersetQRY=Krevolution%20hybrid%20bikes%7E2&f%5FSortOrderID=2&f%5Fbct=m005724

Anyone else think this ne above is a good buy? I'm semi wary of getting a bike online in case there are any problems with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

FX Meister wrote:
    First bike I bought they put mud guards on badly, few days later one of the metal bars popped off while I was cycling and stuck into my leg. Second bike I bought was assembled incorrectly, I had it about ten minutes when I had to jam on the brakes and the brakes hadn't been tightened properly and the cables came loose. No brakes, back of vehicle, dislocated shoulder.

In both of these instances did they admit liability, or did you bring it to their attention?

First time they did, they fixed the bike but it came apart a short time later so got my money back and got an MBK road bike instead of the Peaugot US Express.
    The second time they didn't. It went to court and the two main guys lied through their teeth about the whole thing. They even made up a story that I was arguing with my parents in the shop when buying the bike that I didn't have enough experience to cycle it home. I just told it like it was, didn't play my injuries up or anything. That's why I have no repect for their store. I can understand that mistakes happen but it would have been fairer to admit to it. They ended up losing in court anyway.

Advertisement