Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voting procedure

Options
  • 18-05-2007 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

i lost my polling card, can i still vote? i have loadsa id, am well known to all the officials, it's a small town, West of Eire, I presume i can vote without the card?

Frank:(

Comments

Yes once you are on the register.
    Bring ID with you prefereably a drivers licence or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Tristrame wrote:
    Yes once you are on the register.
    Bring ID with you prefereably a drivers licence or something similar.

In 2002 I forgot mine and was given a bit of grief for not having it, despite being registered there for 10 years, so be prepared to be challenged, a utility bill can be useful too.

In my case it was a case of "give a man a clipboard....":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Yeah, you should be ok once you have id with you. I've moved house recently and never changed address on the register (I know, I should have :o ) but I am still in the same constituency. I rang up about it a few weeks back and the guy said it would be fine if you just go into the polling station with id. So that's what I'll do...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

Do they keep your polling card after you have shown up to vote? Or can you take it home with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Seamus357 wrote:
    Do they keep your polling card after you have shown up to vote? Or can you take it home with you?
    Sounds like you're hatching a cunning plan Seamus..... Fill us in!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Have people received their polling cards already? We still haven't received ours. Dun Laoghaire constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Seamus357 wrote:

They keep it! :p

Vote early and often hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

In small town Ireland If your known you can head in without polling card or ID. Suppose bring ID you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The advantage of having your polling card with you is that there's a number on it and the polling station will generally have several desks, each catering for a particular range of numbers, so you know instantly which desk to go to to get your ballot paper and be crossed off the list. However, it's not compulsory or illegal to show up without it. Definitely bring ID though, they seem to ask for it a lot more these days, even if you have your polling card with you. I voted for years without ever being asked for ID, but I was asked for some the last two or three times I've voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dandesav

Linford wrote:
    Have people received their polling cards already? We still haven't received ours. Dun Laoghaire constituency

I know peeps in Dún Laoghaire who have got them, but I wouldn't worry. I'm Dublin South, and I haven't got it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭carpediem

I am in D18 and just got my polling card this morning.
    You can vote without a polling card.
    With or without the polling card, you will need ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jerryp

frankscott wrote:
    i lost my polling card, can i still vote? i have loadsa id, am well known to all the officials, it's a small town, West of Eire, I presume i can vote without the card?

Frank:(

" West of Eire " : thought that went out with the " Free State "

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭johnlambe

zaph wrote:
    The advantage of having your polling card with you is that there's a number on it and the polling station will generally have several desks ...
    You can get your voter number (and polling station) at http://www.checktheregister.ie/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Jackz wrote:
    In small town Ireland If your known you can head in without polling card or ID. Suppose bring ID you should be ok.

They'll also refer to you as your fathers' son and expect you to be voting in the same way as he is.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭johnlambe

Seamus357 wrote:
    I was given it back on some occasions and they took it on others.
    They mark you off the register when you vote - the polling card is not used as proof of not having voted.
    I don't think it is intended as proof of identification either (it has no security features, after all) - it just tells you where to go to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 philipjmurphy

On needing your polling card and identification, the Dublin City Council says:
    I did not receive my polling card, can I vote without it? #5993
    The polling card is only an information card, which will tell you the date and time of voting and the polling station to attend. You can vote as long as you are on the register and if you bring photographic ID with you e.g. Passport, Drivers Licence, Bus Pass of Work ID.

http://www.dublincity.ie/sitetools/faq/faq_city_managers/voters_registration_polling_card.asp
    BTW, if using the http://www.checktheregister.ie/ to find out your polling station and number, do a search for your name, and then click on your name to get the details of where to vote.

Oh, and I still haven't received my polling card as yet. [Living in Dublin]

Advertisement