Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRISVEGAS darling

Options
  • 18-05-2007 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have heard brisbane is the best city in Oz and has great weather, cheap houses, good jobs, schools, kids facilities etc.

You heard correctly. Brisbane is currently the fastest growing city in Australia and with good reason. You don't have a winter. Well, April, May and June come and go but, unlike Melbourne which is bitterly cold, windy, rainy and pile-the-blankets-on-the-bed kind o' weather, Brisbane is blissfully sunny. A little sticky some days perhaps in December but, other than that, a fine place to work on your tan (which should be fake if you don't have a death wish).

Jobs are a plenty and the Irish are loved. The Irish Club in Brisbane was recently awarded Best Entertainment Venue in the city and the atmosphere there is down to earth and friendly. Unlike other clubs where they cling to the old sentiments, the Brisbane club is a place where you can network, drink cheap pints (E2.00!) and listen to some live music.

But that's not all. Brisbane has an extensive bikeway, public transport system and pristine beaches, not to mention affordable residential property which has not yet met the meteoric rises Sydney and Melbourne has experienced (but will do if you leave it).

Probably not the place for a hormonal 20 year old but certainly ideal for those with families and those who are over the clubbing scene :) Live music circuit is generally better than Melbourne's though.

Any further questions, just ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Tea Leaf wrote:
    ....unlike Melbourne which is bitterly cold, windy, rainy and pile-the-blankets-on-the-bed kind o' weather..

.....Live music circuit is generally better than Melbourne's though.

You don't work for the Brisbane tourist board by any chance? :D

Two points I would definitely take issue with.

Melbourne is NOT cold. Compared to other places in Australia it's definitely colder but for anyone who's lived in Ireland (which the majority on boards have I reckon) it's warmer.

I'm coming up to my second winter here now. Don't own a hat, scarf, gloves and will generally survive with just a t-shirt and jacket when it gets "cold". Can't say the same for the 25 odd winters I spent in Dublin.

Fair enough, the Melbourne weather is very changeable and the whole "4 seasons in one day" cliché isn't that far off the mark but it's definitely not cold.

As for the live music, admittedly I've only been in Brisbane briefly but Melbourne's live music scene is fantastic. From big international acts to local pub bands there's music on everywhere all the time. I can go to about 20 bars any night of the week and see bands for free. And compared to Dublin (where I gigged in most places) the standard is generally quite high.

Most things I read about Melbourne before I came over here also said it was generally the most "cultural" and "artistic" city here too. Now I haven't been everywhere else but I can see why it has that reputation.

Maybe I'm wrong and the Brisbane musical scene is phenomenal but it would have to be to top Melbourne.

Just my 2 cents!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Just because I think Brisbane is fantastic doesn't mean I think Melbourne isn't. I lived there for five years. A cracker of a place.

Now I'm not talking die-in-yer-arse-tits-fall-off cold. (Yes, I've lived in Ireland). Melbourne city you get put on your boots and ball warmers on cold - honey, I'm a warm blooded creature and as soon as the temperature drops below 5 degrees then that's cold. But you know, a lot of people love cold weather and cringe in sunny places. And some people love hook turns and do not like curvy freeways.

And for them, Melbourne is perfect.

I'm just saying Brisbane is better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I guess that told me then :)

I'm not going to forgive you for The Veronicas any time soon though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I can't make a decision until I get a count on pokies per head of population tbh.

Advertisement