Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modified Xbox 360s banned from Live

• 18-05-2007 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=76528

So MS are banning modified 360s. There is a thread I notice on the Console Modding forum already, dealing with how to circumvent this etc. but I put it up here to get a different viewpoint.

I tend to be a bit shady when it comes to computers or electronics in general, but I refrained from modding my 360 for fear of this very thing happening. It'll be interesting to see how modders come up with new undetectable mods and how MS will counter them.

So will many people be affected by this and do you think it's a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Hmm I think its a good idea. TBH I don't see any reason why people would like to **** around with their console anyway. What possible mods will make it perform any better. Guess I just dont see the advantages of modding, it seems rather pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Asmodean wrote:
    Hmm I think its a good idea. TBH I don't see any reason why people would like to **** around with their console anyway. What possible mods will make it perform any better. Guess I just dont see the advantages of modding, it seems rather pointless.

Did you ever see the Xbox 1 modded? Cool media centre, web browser, RSS feeds, emulators for piles of old consoles, homebrew, ability to run games from your HDD.

I think that's the eventual goal for the modders of 360s. Haven't gotten there yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well if modders can't make their modded 360s appear to be genuine to MS's computer systems then I think the numbers of people modding their consoles will drop massively.

Live is a huge part of the 360. Even if you don't like playing online, the ability to check out demos of new games and get DLC for games (e.g. the great Crackdown stuff) is excellent, and something people won't want to miss out on.
    I guess if people are crazy enough they could have 2 consoles, one genuine, one modded, but can't see many doing that.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ya xbox 1 mooded was brilliant, It was(and to some extinct still is) the center of my media hub.

I used to throw up all my videos etc on the 200gb hrad drive and watch on the TV.
    However Live was not big back then and I did not need it so the mod never affected me with Live.

Now though I think Live is a core part of the 360 and I will not mod it as I think I would not use my 360 as much if it didn't have Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gearsofwareire

brav wrote:
    Ya xbox 1 mooded was brilliant, It was(and to some extinct still is) the center of my media hub.

I used to throw up all my videos etc on the 200gb hrad drive and watch on the TV.
    However Live was not big back then and I did not need it so the mod never affected me with Live.

Now though I think Live is a core part of the 360 and I will not mod it as I think I would not use my 360 as much if it didn't have Live

I agree totally, xbox live has totally reinvented console gaming, all the consoles available on the market now are all very capable for playing games offline hence thats whats so appealing about the 360 it has such a big online community the live service is untouchable in comparison to anything offered by any of the other consoles. I cant understand why people would run the risk modding their xboxs voiding their warranty and running the risk of not being able to play online aswell after deciding to buy a 360 just buy a pc if you want a media centre!

Ah well leave them too it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

I had a modded PS1 and PS2 never bothered with modding the xbox . I think microsoft have no right what so ever to ban these consoles , once the people buy them its there property to do with what they like .

They are within there rights to void your warrenty but that should be about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

anto1208 wrote:
    I had a modded PS1 and PS2 never bothered with modding the xbox . I think microsoft have no right what so ever to ban these consoles , once the people buy them its there property to do with what they like .

They are within there rights to void your warrenty but that should be about it .
    they are not stopping you usnig your 360 though, they are stopping modded consoles from using Live, which they are perfectly entitled to do considering it is in the terms of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

well I'm gone off live anyway, going to have to buy a new box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 manyshadzz

Hate to laugh but I did let out a chuckle when pete told me

You cheap bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gearsofwareire

manyshadzz wrote:
    Hate to laugh but I did let out a chuckle when pete told me

You cheap bastard!
    Tank top ya clown haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Just buy a core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Just buy a core.

Yeah but thats the easy part. Its buying the games after previously getting them for nothing thats the tough bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I wouldn't be back dating my games tbh, buy a handful of games second hand that you know you'll play. When you've got your 360 flashed, you'd be amazed at the amount of tripe games you pick up just because they're cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 J`S

I hope to god Microsoft take away all the gamer points clocked up whilst your box was chipped :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Won't happen J's. Just the console is banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 J`S

kensutz wrote:
    Won't happen J's. Just the console is banned

ah I know but I was just hoping, Tank Top worked so hard to get his 30000+

I've almost caught up with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol swap yah mine for yours i cba with live tbh 30 day thing ran out and i havent renewed it.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im banned too but not particularly pushed, didnt play on live that much

Tempting offer KdjaCL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Mine is weird.

I have 2 360s a Euro one and a Japanese one. I use the same HD and wireless adapter. The Euro one will connect but the Japanese one wont.. Im getting error codes but no message. weird that it only happens with one of the consoles..

Just found this too. [URL]"http://majornelson.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!FAB4B8088A70F52!590.entry"[/url]
    If you see this screen and get Status Code: Z: 8015 - 190D…that means your console has been banned.

Just checked both consoles drives. My Japanese one has Haitachi-LG drive and the Eu one has Toshiba-Samsung. so If that has anything to do with it.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Lol swap yah mine for yours i cba with live tbh 30 day thing ran out and i havent renewed it.

kdjac

Serious?

I'll defo take you up on that, and throw in all the games, sure they'd be no use to me

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

Has anyone here been banned from live yet?
    I have modded firmware since last year and still not banned.
    Screw them anyway if they do, i would rather play "backups" then go on live.
    Their loss ill just call visa and do a chargeback for not providing service.

EricM wrote:
    Their loss ill just call visa and do a chargeback for not providing service.

You dont buy games yet its their loss :confused:

Thats some amazing logic.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

KdjaCL wrote:
    You dont buy games yet its their loss :confused:

Thats some amazing logic.

kdjac
    You should read the comments on Major Nelson full of genius's with the same logic.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You should read the comments on Major Nelson full of genius's with the same logic.

EG is the same, i have to wonder if im the only person with an unmodded xbox. Wonder how MSFT did it tho, the update seemingly checks eeproms and adds your console to a list by putting out the update and then mentioned the bans a week later is just brilliant.

The error code should be MSPWNZU tho (read that on EG )

kdjac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was tempted to mod the 360 but the benefits are so limited why bother, especially now folk are being banned.
    It was always on the cards anyway, so folk with modded 360's, tough luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

hhhmmm, i am not sure of this 'limited advantages' with the modded 360's, if ya have a p.c. you can download the games and they play on your 360 thus not paying 70e a pop, thats a fair advantage imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

hhhmmm, i am not sure of this 'limited advantages' with the modded 360's, if ya have a p.c. you can download the games and they play on your 360 thus not paying 70e a pop, thats a fair advantage imo
    Except thats illegal.

I think you meant to say that it allows you to play backups of the games you currently own.

• Advertisement

I'm actually now contemplating keeping my crocked box to play back ups offline, and buying another core for xbox live purposes

Advertisement