Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Wembley stats

• 18-05-2007 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

The BBC website has a nice comparison of old Wembley stadium and the new Stadium.

It starts here but the most interesting page is this one.

What I find really interesting is that every seat will have more leg room than the old Royal box at Wembley and that every seat is also wider and deeper than before.

There's also going to be almost 2,300 more toilets than in the old stadium :D
    BBC wrote:
    The new stadium has had plenty of critics, but officials have promised a bigger, better Wembley that will be the envy of the world:
    With 90,000 seats the new ground is the largest in the world with every seat under cover
    Every seat will have more leg room than the old royal box and cater for the larger individual with a width of 50cm (old - 41cm) and a depth of 80cm (old - 64cm)
    There are no restricted views and each seat faces the centre circle. With no greyhound track, fans are much closer to the pitch, which is 4m lower than the old one
    The stadium footprint is more than twice the old one (103,000m sq compared to 40,500m sq). It took 250,000 tonnes of concrete and steel to build (compared to 25,000 tonnes).

I heard the stadium manager on BBC 4 yesterday saying that right now they are expecting that when the stadium is first used they will have to have more staff available to give directions to fans as they are not yet sure if the signage is positioned properly or whether there are enough signs. The acid test!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It looks amazing, as the replacement for the most famous stadium in the world should.

An interesting point was raised on 98fm this morning, that Brazil were bringing over a very strong team for the opening international there. What they said, was that to Brazil, playing at Wembley is a very special occasion, more than could possibly be said for the two teams playing there tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

some interesting stats on sky atm,£10 for a program and £8 for a burger:eek: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

county wrote:
    but the program is 'bigger then A4, printed on quality paper and is 150 pages long" not a rip at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tauren wrote:
    but the program is 'bigger then A4, printed on quality paper and is 150 pages long" not a rip at all!

And is the burger a small cow?:p

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    And is the burger a small cow?:p

kdjac
    what a veal burger?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

It looks a quality stadium alright, I was only ever in the old wembley once, and I wasn't hugely impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    It looks a quality stadium alright, I was only ever in the old wembley once, and I wasn't hugely impressed.

The old one had become a bit of a kip to be honest and the new one was sorely needed. I still think it's a shame the twin towers could not be saved somehow, but progess is progress I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42914000/gif/_42914329_comparison_page3.gif

That picture puts it into perspective just how big it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

r3nu4l wrote:

There's also going to be almost 2,300 more toilets than in the old stadium :D

i remember reading somewhere a few months ago that X number of thousand toilet bowls and sinks had to be returned to armitage shanks because they had the branded stamp on them, where as the stadium is logo and brand free (presuming they have partners that only get they're logo in places or whatever!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It looks amazing, as the replacement for the most famous stadium in the world should.

Haha!! I would say the Camp Nou or the San Siro are far more famous across the world as they are in use on a far more regular basis.
    An interesting point was raised on 98fm this morning, that Brazil were bringing over a very strong team for the opening international there. What they said, was that to Brazil, playing at Wembley is a very special occasion, more than could possibly be said for the two teams playing there tomorrow.

When you're trying to make a point and you're qouting 98fm you're in trouble. :D I'm sure pressure from Nike means Brazil have to put out a decent side. I can't imagine their players being that bothered by it.

Btw, there was an excellent article in FourFourTwo a few months ago about the new stadium. It looks excellent and fans will be a lot closer to the action than the old dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

county wrote:

Thats about standard for a major final programme now. I paid £5 in 1990.

The burger is a total rip off though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Well I am looking forward to it tomorrow.

From the BBC
    FA CUP FINAL PRICES
    Burger meal: £8
    Hot dog: £3.90
    Pint of lager: £4.50
    Pie: £4.50
    Bottle of water: £1.80
    Official match programme: £10

I will only be buying a programme and getting beers elsewhere

£4.50 for a pie,the mancs wont like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

From the BBC
    FA CUP FINAL PRICES

I guess they have to recoup the £750,000,000 cost somehow but that's still a lot for a burger meal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

[PHP][/PHP]

From the BBC
    FA CUP FINAL PRICES

Don't forget you can't wear any clothes other than team-related merchandise worn "in good faith". You can not wear 'colours' of a team other then man united or chelsea. You can not bring food in with you. You can not bring drink in with you. You can not bring a camera with you. You can not take photo's with your phone. You consent to any images taken of you, by any journalist associated with the FA Cup and the FA to use your image however they want to, where ever they want to, wheneverthey want to.

county wrote:
    £4.50 for a pie,the mancs wont like that

No they wont, there are talks of a boycott by both sets of fans tomorrow

Tauren wrote:
    Don't forget you can't wear any clothes other than team-related merchandise worn "in good faith". You can not wear 'colours' of a team other then man united or chelsea. You can not bring food in with you. You can not bring drink in with you. You can not bring a camera with you. You can not take photo's with your phone. You consent to any images taken of you, by any journalist associated with the FA Cup and the FA to use your image however they want to, where ever they want to, wheneverthey want to.

Well that means i prob wont get in tomorrow.......:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Tauren wrote:
    [PHP][/PHP]

[joke]...So what you are saying is that the rules for getting into Wembley are lax compared to the rules for getting into the soccer forum![/joke] :D

Seriously, that is pretty harsh to be honest. It kind of takes the fun out of it all. I'd like to see the stats on the number of security guards and police that will be present!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You'd be doing well to get a pint inside the Stadium tomorrow regardless of what ever they say the price should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I've been in Wembley already and if you're hungry and still want to pay for the food you're not going to have a hope in hell of getting served within the 15 mins of half time. Some people sitting next to me took 40 mins to get their food, other people left because they were fed up of waiting around.

Other than that it's a fantastic stadium and the view is second to none. Going back over for my third game for the England v Brazil match and in the top tier again.
    pict0027lt2.jpgpict0010sq8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

county wrote:

Judging by Green Martians post it's a burger meal as opposed to just a burger (burger, chips and drink?)

Zebra3 wrote:
    Haha!! I would say the Camp Nou or the San Siro are far more famous across the world as they are in use on a far more regular basis.

Haha!! doubt it. Everyone knows about Wembley (obviously I dont mean every single person on th eplanet) not just football fans. Sure probably more people know about Wembley as a result of Live Aid alone than would be familiar with the Camp Nou or San Siro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wembley is probably the most famous stadium worldwide, alot of it for non soccer related events.

Of course, each country will know their own stadium fairly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

2300 more toilets???
    dats unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

£8 will get you a burger and a chip. No drink as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

still 12euro's (ish) is still a lot to be paying, but as mentioned have to recoup it somehow, easy enught o come prepared anyway so dont have to eat there.

On worlds most famous stadium i think id go with the Maracana, but wembly's bound to be up there alright.

id love to go to the new wembly alright to check it out, maybe whenever pool get to their next english final.

That picture comparing the old and new wembly's is mind blowing though, really puts it in perspective how gigantic it is! Looks great in "28 weeks later" anyway!

Advertisement