Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accuracy of the VRT calculator

Options
  • 18-05-2007 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Thinking of buying my next car from the North.
    I was wondering how accurate is the VRT calculator on the government website,

i.e. has anybody experienced using the calculator and then when you’ve gone to get the car VRT'd there was a big increase or decrease on what you though it was going to be?

Also do extra's (leather seats etc..) have much of an impact on the actual VRT you pay over the figure
    you calculated on the website or do they generally ignore the extras when inspecting the car(if they inspect the car)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Seeing as they base it on the Irish 'market value' and not the actual car value i'd have to say it's totally inaccurate. Still won't stop them charging you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Beware !

It will depend on the actual car, its options etc and if it happens to be something like an E36 M3 or a Benz Coupe they will fleece you. They now have "Cars of special interest" and the calculation makes no sense !

I know several people with similar cars to the above that have been asked for thousands morer that the original calc !

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

It can be luck of the draw sometimes. As layke says, the value itself is way off, but I'm sure you mean will that price be the actualy price you pay? Basically, yes. If your exact car is listed there, they'll just put your car through the same calculator and charge you that much, so therefore it would be accurate. Extras do make a difference, and depending on your luck on the day they may or may not inspect your car, and will adjust the price up accordingly. I've imported a car before and paid exactly the amount on the website - nobody actually looked at the car though so I could've had anything in it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

It can be luck of the draw sometimes. As layke says, the value itself is way off, but I'm sure you mean will that price be the actualy price you pay? Basically, yes. If your exact car is listed there, they'll just put your car through the same calculator and charge you that much, so therefore it would be accurate. Extras do make a difference, and depending on your luck on the day they may or may not inspect your car, and will adjust the price up accordingly. I've imported a car before and paid exactly the amount on the website - nobody actually looked at the car though so I could've had anything in it...

yeah not bothered by the value of the car, was just woundering what the chances of getting stung for an extra grand or something that i hadnt planned for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

As mentioned, if your car is exactly as what you have input in the calculator you will pay this amount.When I imported my car a person came and had a look inside it to see if had leather or any additional extras.They also checked the chassis number.I presume they would charge you extra for leather?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

yeah not bothered by the value of the car, was just woundering what the chances of getting stung for an extra grand or something that i hadnt planned for!

Seeing as the VRT is calculated on their value of the car, it should concern you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement