Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Diagnostic

Options
  • 18-05-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying from www.ross-tech.com. Has anyone used their stuff? Any good? What other options do I have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've never used VAGCOM but I have heard many good reports about it. AFAIK, it's probably one the better value diagnostics about.

These guys are willing to answer any questions you may have about it > http://vwnavi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Another well populated forum on the subject here too-
    http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=39

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I use VAG-COM on my Octavia and its quite useful.

I thought the power was a bit lacking and the fuel economy was a bit naff so plugged it in and sure enough it came up with "Implausable Signal -Mass Airflow Meter"

120 euro for a new MAF, fitted it myself and woo hoo back to 58 mpg and normal power all through the rev range.

Also tried it out on a VW Passat 1.9T, gives live readings such as injection rate, air intake, speed etc in a nice graph.

Works on Skoda, Audi, Seat and Volkswagen, also works on cars with an ODB-II connection albeit without the extra features but you can modify codes in the ECU for different features that are normally turned off.

Such as the Anti car hijacking thing where the doors lock automatically 15 seconds after you take off, handy for women i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The Ross-tech stuff is spoken very highly of on the Audi A2 owners club.

www.a2oc.net

There are alot of people there using vagcom. If you go on there, ask for advice, they will be happy to point you in the right direction. Alot of people have spent different amounts so they know what you need to spend to do what.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

Anan1 wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying from www.ross-tech.com. Has anyone used their stuff? Any good? What other options do I have?

It's spot on and works - I use it on both a VW Golf and Audi A6.

Podgee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks for that guys, I just ordered it from Logic Automotive in Dublin.:)

Got this yesterday - I have to say it really is a very clever piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anan1 wrote:

I presume you install the software on a laptop and then connect it to the car's ECU via some sort of USB lead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Anan1 wrote:

What exactly do these piece of kits do? I have always wondered. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

+1 for VAG-COM, paid for itself many, many time over since I got it a few years ago.

DrDre, its a VAG-Specific (ie VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat) computer diagnostic tool. Install the software on a laptop, connect via the OBDII connector (present on all cars after 1996) and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I just had a look on ebay and it seems these VAG-COm cables can be bought for a tenner and that version 409.1 of the software is shareware.

Is that legit and does it have most of the relevant functionality that would apply to an 03 Passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I just had a look on ebay and it seems these VAG-COm cables can be bought for a tenner and that version 409.1 of the software is shareware.

Is that legit and does it have most of the relevant functionality that would apply to an 03 Passat?

it is legit but you won't be able to do a lot of things without the fully registered version. Ross-tech also have a BMW version of the software now using the same cable

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

LIGHTNING wrote:
    And it can save you money as you can use it to diagnose any problems without going to a garage.

Thats me out of business so :)

It is THE best value scan tool ever. Ross Tech are also the best tool company I have ever dealt with as regards back up.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Ross-tech also have a BMW version of the software now using the same cable

No BMW version available

The origional Ross Tech cables have a dongle built in for activation. The aftermarket ones are clones, ie pirate. You can buy a licence to use the software with an aftermarket cable but a lot of the aftermarket cables fail when you try to use newer versions due to the firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Would this work on a HDI citreon xsara or peugot 407 hdi?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

nope it does not for all you other lazy people:D

Actually a google search showed me a service that provide the same equipment for french cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

No BMW version available

Yeah you're right, i checked the ross-tech website and no mention of BMW, not sure were i saw that, but it was about 2 years ago, must have been a different website.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can you get that full package online and roughly how much is it?

Have a look at www.ross-tech.com for prices. Thing is, they are liable for tax on import. I bought mine from a crowd in Kildare. It was a bit more expensive, but I couldn't fault their expertise & service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement