Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Budgie cages

Options
  • 18-05-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could please help me out. I bought 2 Budgies about 9 months ago. When I first purchased the birds, I bought a cage that i didn't really feel was adequate so I purchases a much larger cage ( 63cm long x 70cm high x 40cm wide). originally the birds were not very active and i did all the usual things like keep them company ( the were way more interested in each other then they ever were with me) and bought them good quality mirrors and toys.
    I think the extra space with the new cage let them develope their flight muscles and confidence, as over the last number of months they have become much more active and have started to play with the toys all the time. this has made them alot more fun to watch.
    The reason I am asking about cages is that I now feel it is time to get them a bigger cage that will let them develope more. could anyone please tell me a place where i could get a suitable cage for a good price and before anyone asks, it is not possible for me to let them out of the cage where I am living at the moment. On another point i'm not sure if i want to buy on line either as i'd like to see the cage before I purchase.

A Dublin or Limerick dealer would be best.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Very hard to get large budgie cages, larger cages generally have bigger gaps in the bars. What you could do is build an indoor aviary. It's not too complicated and if there are no other animals about it doesn't have to be made from the heaviest matierials. What you would need is a corner in a room about 2 by 3 (at least) and you can build it as high as you like up to the ceiling if you want to. Using timber and aviary wire. Basically you would be building a telephone shaped frame if it's about 3 foot wide the height will then increase the space they can fly up and down it. An off cut of lino (free from carpet shops) to line the floor of it and line it with newspaper and there you go.

There are cages on here http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/birds/bird_cages_and_accessories/parakeet_cages/35602 but you could build a good sized indoor avairy for 1/2the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi

Thanks for the advice but I really do not want to build an avery (but in my circumstances a metal cage has many advantages over a wire based cage). On another note I said in my mail that i would like to see/handle the cage before I buy, which is not something I can do online.

????

If you order from Zooplus the items always come with a return form so if you aren't happy with it you can return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

OP I am in the process of opening a pet shop - if I find any of the indoor avairy cages I will pm you. Will be a few weeks yet tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Just close the curtains (so they don`t kamikaze into the glass) and let them fly around the room.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the advice ,especially you Doctor Evil as you obviously didn't bother to read the full mail. Bond if you could please PM me when you get a chance it would be great.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Charming. Post like that and people may not bother helping at all. (FYI when I had them we let them flew around the house where it wouldn`t be possible to catch them, cage was kept open and they returned when retired or for food).

Hi Doctor Evil

It was meant in a very light-hearted way, but the really crazy thing is that you have managed to reply again without reading my original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Back Stabbath

Mine are in a HUGE chinchilla cage. You can't really get large enough bird cages so thats why I had to get that one. You could make one yourself. Buy the largest one you can afford. The cages they sell for any bird are waaay too small.

You could try to find a metalworks company to make one to your specifications. I heard thats a really good way to do it, but I've never heard of any metalworks companies!

I just ordered a bird cage online from canada on ebay. Its a few inches smaller than the one I have now, but its excellent quality and it was hundreds cheaper than what it would have been here. Even with the postage and packaging it worked out cheaper. They put pictures and dimentions and all on so don't worry about not being able to see the cage.

Good luck with finding one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

It amazes me that you can still get those awful cylinder shaped ones. Bird has one perch, no room to fly and the bars are almost always vertical which makes climbing harder too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Very hard to get large budgie cages, larger cages generally have bigger gaps in the bars. What you could do is build an indoor aviary. It's not too complicated and if there are no other animals about it doesn't have to be made from the heaviest matierials. What you would need is a corner in a room about 2 by 3 (at least) and you can build it as high as you like up to the ceiling if you want to. Using timber and aviary wire. Basically you would be building a telephone shaped frame if it's about 3 foot wide the height will then increase the space they can fly up and down it. An off cut of lino (free from carpet shops) to line the floor of it and line it with newspaper and there you go.

There are cages on here http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/birds/bird_cages_and_accessories/parakeet_cages/35602 but you could build a good sized indoor avairy for 1/2the price.

How much would it cost to build an indoor aviary? Think the budgie and cockatiel are due an upgrade and now I'm unemployed I have all the time in the world to build them one.

Back Sabbath - with the chinchilla cage how large are the gaps between the bars? I had one of my cockatiels in a chinchilla cage for a while until avairy was finished and it was great, large plus cheaper than a bird cage but the budgies would of squeezed right out. If yours has smaller gaps where did you get it from handy thing to have.

Nala - Totally agrees, those round cages are horrible torture chambers for birds.

Not sure how much it would cost to build one, depends on the size really. The timber isn't expensive the only thing that really costs a good bit is the avairy wire it's cheaper to buy it in rolls rather than sheets. What you could do is buy a roll a week or every two weeks bit by bit until you have everything you need for it. The netting staples etc are cheap as well you can get a large box or bag of them for a few quid.

Advertisement