Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with magnet broadband in Sutton

Options
  • 18-05-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Having major problems with magnet broadband in Sutton!

We got Magnet installed in Nov 06 after a long 2-3 week wait for eircom to switch us over. We got the phone and internet package. We were told it's a 1/1 contention rate and everything has been working great. Then around Jan/Feb the signal started to drop now and then. It's now completely fallen off the radar. We get a signal in early morning up to 9-10am then it goes for the day and can sometimes come back late evening 9-10pm.

We've been on to Magnet and they have sent 2 different technicians out. 1 saying it was fixed the second saying they'd refer to eircom after saying the modem was having trouble syncing.

WARNING: An alarming thing that the magnet technician told me which i would warn people about was the distance from exchange. he said 4km is the limit for good reception from the exchange. we are on or at the 4km range. of course, the chirpy slippery salesman told us originally you'll have "no problems" and we were perfectly in range. Ask the salesman for your exact point-to-point distance to the exchange, over 4kms is unreliable.

However, Eircom have isolated something between the Sutton exchange and our street in Bayside... and we our now in limbo while we wait to hear what eircom are going to do about it. (which seems to be nothing... as it's now MAY! 5 weeks after issue was raised) magnet technician suspected a "bad earth"... don't no what this means

It's particular frustrating that the phone is nearly permanently gone - mobile bills have been through the roof!

So what i want to know is has anyone else been having problems wit Magnet and the sutton exchange for broadband and phone?

does anyone know what is going on? has anyone been in contact with magnet ? is anyone getting anywhere?

meanwhile my mobile bills are still spiraling away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

Ouch! That sound sterrible. 4km from the exchange doesn't sound like a big distance at all.

The 'bad earth' means that somewhere the circuitry isn't being earthed (or grounded) properly, which is required for all circuity. How the technician could tell that... It must be a common thing or he's seen it before.

I'm having the Magnet technician install it in my place today. I'm expecting good performance - it's a new apartment complex that's serviced fully by Magnet.

On the Eircom issue... well, it took them 3 months to SELL me a modem! I mean, what do you have to do in this country to give people your money!? Generally I find the Eircom service quite good. But when things rarely go wrong, it's a painful process.

Advertisement