Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800gts or 6800gt sli

Options
  • 18-05-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Going to be getting a new 22" lcd widescreen and was thinking i should upgrade my gfx card too. Would i get much of a preformance increase getting
    a 8800gts 320MB and ditching my two 6800GT's 256MB?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

you're better off getting the best single GPU you can afford. You always have the option to upgrade to SLI later on. Some games dont rely on SLI to run at max settings so generally the best card you can afford is a good idea to go with.

You're running 2 256mb cards at the moment in SLI, you still only have 256mb's of memory to use, SLI doesnt add memory of the 2 cards as with SLI both cards need to have the same data in their memory. It would be too slow for the cards to share the memory of the 2 cards

Also with 320mb memory running about 1600X1200 is about tops, running above that res you would want more memory.

I have benchmarks i ran here before with a single and SLI options, as in expensive single against cheap sli'd and the results were not that different, but if you can my advice would be the best single GPU you can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

logic wrote:
    Would i get much of a preformance increase getting
    a 8800gts 320MB and ditching my two 6800GT's 256MB?

huge i would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Go for the 8800GTS 320 no question.

Advertisement