Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spindoctors

Options
  • 18-05-2007 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

FF hired a US team of spin-doctors to advise them on election strategy in 2002. Does anyone know if they using the same team again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Not sure, Fg are they came up with Enda's contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Jackz wrote:
    Not sure, Fg are they came up with Enda's contract.

You don't know...but take the opportunity to have a dig at FG. Par for the course I suppose.

It's a serious question: does anyone know the answer?

I seriously looked for the answer to your question but didn't find it. Plenty of references that indicate they might exist but I can't find confirmation of who they are.

No worries Jackz. Found an article on it here.

Interesting reading to be sure. "FIANNA FÁIL'S EFFORT to control the media was modelled on the "message management" strategies developed in Bill Clinton's War Room and adapted by New Labour's notorious spin machine."

That's a comment on the 2002 election galactus!

• Advertisement

Jackz wrote:
    That's a comment on the 2002 election galactus!

Sure - the quote is based on the 2002 election but we didn't get to hear about any of this during the last election and i don't believe FF will have changed much in the last few years.

Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

galactus wrote:
    "FIANNA FÁIL'S EFFORT to control the media was modelled on the "message management" strategies developed in Bill Clinton's War Room and adapted by New Labour's notorious spin machine."
    very selective quoting there galactus. good spin one might say. ;)

both FF and FG are at it. FG have hired negative campaign experts to fight this election too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

clown bag wrote:
    FG have hired negative campaign experts to fight this election too.
    Really? They aren't really earning their money are they? The only negative campaigning by FG that I can remember is when they were going to bring out that Michael McDowell poster back in January, with all the failures of the PD's written on it - but then chickened out when they were accused of er, negative campaigning, and put up a much weaker board instead.

Laika wrote:
    Really? They aren't really earning their money are they? .
    doesn't change the fact that they are indeed working for them. I only replied to point out the spin in the OP when he singled out FF for using spin doctors. Both FF and FG have hired them. IMO the PD's have had the most negative campaign overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

clown bag wrote:
    doesn't change the fact that they are indeed working for them.

I wasn't doubting you, was just surprised to hear it. I haven't noticed many substantial differences between this Fine Gael campaign and that of previous elections. The main difference that I can see is that Enda is getting out on the streets and meeting people, something that both Noonan and Bruton seemed adverse to.

I think the contract and the short personal broadcasts are the work of the spin-doctors. Apparently Kenny was told he didn't come across too well live so they advised him to make a number of more personal recordings where he performs quite well. Nothing too sinister really, although I have my own suspicions as to other areas which they may have had a hand in, especially considering their record in American elections.

Advertisement