Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black screen when Vista boots up

• 18-05-2007 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I have a Western Digital My Book 250GB HDD. When I boot up the system there's a black screen for about 2 minutes right after the green progress bar. I read somewhere on a different forum that it's due to the WD HDD. Sure enough if I disconnect the HDD before boot up I don't get the black screen for 2 minutes. I went into the BIOS and Disabled "Boot from removable drives" but that didn't work. My C:\ is set to boot up first then the My Book drive.

Anyone any suggestions as what I could do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Try running scandisk on the WD external drive & reboot after it's done to see if it still happens.

Also are you using readyboost on anything attached to the computer ?

Finally what make chipset is the motherboard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

8T8 wrote:
    Try running scandisk on the WD external drive & reboot after it's done to see if it still happens.

Also are you using readyboost on anything attached to the computer ?

Finally what make chipset is the motherboard ?

I ran scandisk, rebooted and the problem remains. The motherboard is Intel D945Psn

Well from Google I think there is some talk that it might be related to ReadyBoost are you using it at all on any device as if you were I'd try disabling that to see if anything changes.

Try contacting Western Digital tech support directly via email and let them know the problem as they may have a fix, HD companies rarely release public firmware updates to their hardware. But it is possible they know of the problem you certainly have plenty of Google evidence to back you up and let them know it's not an isolated incident.

Readyboost is only enabled on flash based tech (USB flash, SDcard, CF etc) it wont be enabled for external HD's so no tab is normal.

Advertisement