Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Screens / Displays

Options
  • 18-05-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Hi this may have been posted in the wrong place, so move it if it is.

I'm looking for some info the above, and it's something I know nothing about.
    I'll expand. Basically we're doing a project and we're looking at changing public outdoor spaces using a series of screens that would be able to change colours and display images and videos digitally. The idea is that the space would change depending on what colour, transparency or image was on the screen.

Anyway this is all well and good in theory, but I'm wondering if it's possible at all. Would anyone have any information on any of this or be able to point us in the right direction?

Can you get screens that would survive an outdoor environment? Oh and the idea was they would be free standing elements, as opposed to being set into a wall. And they'd be pretty big, as in 2/3m high and maybe 6/8m long (not too much to ask is it!)

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

i think something like a cinema screen and projector(put safely inside some building) would be your best bet,

i think sony did similar only using 100 free standing colour changing columns a few months back in japan.

do you want to change the whole mood of the street area or just ahve a screen?

there was another thing in NY wher some guys put foam boxes covered with paper over digital bilboards around the subways and turned them into pixel art. cant remember the link, could have been on makeblog or instructables.

anyway these guys will be of interest to you

http://www.graffitiresearchlab.com/
    423215561_4604938480.jpg

ill see if i can find the other links and post them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Cheers for that.

Yeah kinda wanna change the whole mood of the street, but not in an inposing way, it'd be up to the people who live on / use the space to decide the mood or whats on it, if anything.

Was thinking of something more solid and permanent than a cinema screen.

Those installation sound really interesting, if your could find anything on them that'd be great, had a look there but can't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Cheers spider, some pretty interesting stuff there.

Advertisement