Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To speed, or not to speed???

Options
  • 18-05-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

I've been trying of 3 weeks to get hold of the local Sergent cos i need him to stamp my licence so i can pick up my new o/u. The trouble is that our local station only opens for 2 to 10pm every thursday.:rolleyes: which due to work only gives me a window between about 7.30 and 10pm I tried ringing and camping outside the gate for over an hour at a time to no avail.:(

I reckon if i go speeding around the locality he's bound to turn up but i don't want the points. don't get me wrong, my Sergent is sound and helpful when ya get hold of him. but its just driving me mad cos i've paid for the gun and all i need is an adjustment on the cert.

Comments

Ring your local 'big' (read manned 24hr!) garda station.

They should be able to get in touch with him, failing that, try leaving a message in your local post office, as he'll probably drop by there regulary enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

its funny you need the sergeant. im not sure if the onus is on him. are there any more guards in your local station? i recently bought a new over and under myself on a trade in. i bought it in the main county town, but all i had to do was go back to the town im from (station is open from 7.30 until 10 also) and i just brought in my license with the receipt from the dealer stating the serial of the gun i was buying and the ban garda stamped my license there and then and it was just a matter of goin back over to the dealer and picking up the gun. i think you have some standing here mate, any guard from your local has the power to stamp the license for you. hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

we've only got a Sergent. its a one man operation i'm afraid. I've tried getting this kinda thing sorted out in the area station in the past and was politely sent on my way. its just pissing me off that i''ll have to wait another week before i get a chance. i think Haleys comet is a more reguler sight in my neck of the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Get yourself an envelope anda bit of paper. On the envelope F.A.O. Sgt. Joe Bloggs. On the piece of paper...

Dear Joe (or Joe if ya don't know him well!),
    When you get this could you give me a ring on my mobile (087 1111111), after 7.30 if possible please as I'll be home then and can call up to you.
    Thanks a lot,
    Hezz700

It hasn't failed me yet :cool:

DO NOT SAY WHAT IT IS YOU WANT EXACTLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

johngalway wrote:
    It hasn't failed me yet :cool:.

A 20ft billboard message c/w TV advertising campaign wouldn't result in a call back from most FAOs down here :D .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Kramer wrote:
    A 20ft billboard message c/w TV advertising campaign wouldn't result in a call back from most FAOs down here :D .

ROTFLAMO :D:D:D
    You forgot the marching Bands outside the station as well!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Kramer wrote:

Well my local sounds just like yours, and when I renew my licences I drop the forms with the cheque in their letterbox, and lo and behold the licences are in my letterbox that evening.

Service with a smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi Hezz, Just pop a letter into the station saying you picked up your new gun from the shop/old owner and now you have it at home. just say seen as you have it licenced and are just waiting for him to stamp it you were aloud take it home. Now just wait and see how long it takes him to arrive to your door with his pen and rubber stamp:D

I bought an O/U from and uncle awhile back and the local sargent was dragging his heels. my uncle took the gun into the station and handed it to him saying he didnt want it in his house and walked out of the station. The sarget was up to my door within the hour with my shootgun and licence. The sargent was in an awful tizzy ranting about how he couldnt take responsability for the gun etc. Got the result I wanted in the end;)

johngalway wrote:
    Get yourself an envelope anda bit of paper. On the envelope F.A.O. Sgt. Joe Bloggs. On the piece of paper...

Dear Joe (or Joe if ya don't know him well!),
    When you get this could you give me a ring on my mobile (087 1111111), after 7.30 if possible please as I'll be home then and can call up to you.
    Thanks a lot,
    Hezz700

It hasn't failed me yet :cool:

DO NOT SAY WHAT IT IS YOU WANT EXACTLY.

Tried it. No response yet.

Really :confused:

If it's just a substation he may not have been back yet?

Stage two of the plan (never before been needed) is to tie the aforementioned envelope around a brick and turn it into a ballistic object... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

We have the exact same setup here - I always ring the main station in the district and they usually get him on the radio to find out when he'll be in - pot luck if he'll actually be there though - nature of the job that he'll be called out for somthing.

Best time is at the start of his shift - can't you send someone else down?

Result:D :D:D:D:D

He will meet me thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Did he say which Thursday though??

Which method got him in the end?

Packas
    Well, he did imply it would be this week. but i suppose ya never know:eek:

John,
    He eventually found my note and mobile no in the pile of post behind the door.

100% record back then :D

See if ya don't say what it's about it could be a criminal matter or something like that so they kinda have to find out. It's a bit of a trick but if they got back to ya sooner ya wouldn't need it.

Advertisement