Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIr rifle Vs Rimmy

Options
  • 18-05-2007 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey Everybody,
    New to the forum but it looks great.
    I have a12ft/lb springer air rifle. It's great fun but the bunnies just won't let me get close enough anymore. So i'm thinking of a rimmy. Now i know you guys like the CZ. So what distances are ye using yours from and what sort of scope is involved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I don't think you can use an air rifle to hunt in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ok you could easily shoot a rabbit from a stable setup with decent ammo at 100 yards.

I was at the range on sunday with my .22lr and after zeroing it I could get 3 shots in about and an inch and a half at 100 yards

A decent scope starting out would be about 250 to 300 euro. CZ .22lr brand new is about 400 and 80 quid for mounts. So in total about 700 quid should get you up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

jaycee wrote:
    I don't think you can use an air rifle to hunt in Ireland..

He must live in the North or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

i can't see where it says you can't hunt with an airgun on the licence?but i know you can't hunt game with it.i know the doj website says you can't but that might not be accurate
    maybe you could get a kit to tune your airgun up above 12ft/lbs that limit is just for britain,in Ireland north or south you can have as much power as you like.makes them more accurate further out.mine,a HW80 has a good thump out to 50 yards,really whacks the targets
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Vegeta wrote:
    Ok you could easily shoot a rabbit from a stable setup with decent ammo at 100 yards.

I was at the range on sunday with my .22lr and after zeroing it I could get 3 shots in about and an inch and a half at 100 yards

The only problem with a 100yd zero on the .22lr is trajectory/drop for hunting. With subsonics, you'll be 4" high @ 50yrds, over 3" high @ 75yrds & 6" low @ 125yrds. Not ideal "in the field" for head shots on bunnies.

Obviously, HVs are better but still not great. I tend to zero @ 60yrds & keep shots in/around that range.

Now, the HMR is practically flat from 25yrds to 125yrds so ideal. Ergo, get a CZ452 in .17HMR :D .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Agree completely with the Krame'meister 60-70yard zero is spot on.

I was just givng an example of the range the round is capable of.

A nice trick I have seen used is with a variable power scope and a 30 30 reticle (that's the standard think to thin cross hairs, right) Zero the rifle at 60 yards and then zoom in until the lower post of the scope is spot on at 10o, then tape up the variable power ring, keeping it sorted.

That way for 60 yard shots you can aim dead on and for 100 yard shots you can use the point where the lower scope post gets thicker

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

17HMR is excellent for bunnies..... very flat trajectory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

HV's move more in the wind than subs.

On ammo & rifles the golden rule goes a bit like this, use what your rifle likes best and work within it's effective range and your capabilities, more power means nothing if you cannot put that bullet where you aim.

I've a Sako Quad .22lr (good accurate rifle), got a Simmons Blazer 3-9x50 on top at the moment. It cost me under 50 Euro shipped in from the USA. Bought on that well known auction site. Used Sportsmatch UK one piece mounts, cost 65 Euro.

The Blazer will "do" and is a good scope for it's price but there are better out there.

With a good rest I get sub half inch 7 shot groups at 60 yards, sub inch 7 shot groups at 100 yards. My rifle likes Eley subsonics the best.

I zero for 60 yards. If you get a scope with easily adjustable turrets (meaning you don't have to unscrew the cap first), you can easily shoot out to 100 yards and a little beyond that IF you've practised plenty, are accurate at that range and know you bullet drop in clicks.

Practise a lot on paper (forget this BS about hitting bean cans etc, you need to know your group size and bullet drop on paper at specific ranges, as well as wind drift), then practice some more. Try all the different types of .22lr ammo you can get your hands on. When you find a round your rifle likes, buy as much of that round as you're entitled to and stick with it.

I've brain shot foxes out to 80 yards with Eley subs. Bullet dropped them on the spot and both entered and exited the skull. My foxes go to a research student in NUIG, so this can be confirmed if someone doesn't believe it. Got greycrows out to 94 yards.

.22lr is a great little round if you know how to use it to it's and your own abilities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Kramer wrote:
    Now, the HMR is practically flat from 25yrds to 125yrds so ideal. Ergo, get a CZ452 in .17HMR :D .

Was with Vegeta last Sunday, Very Choppy wind everyone was not shooting well
    including the seasoned regulars. After about 80-90 Rounds I finally managed
    to get a good group with the HMR see pic. (I thought there were only 4 holes
    but upon closer examination all 5 rounds went in) There is about a 14mm distance
    between the centre or the number 4 and 5 hole.

Wind I reckon was about 10mph and knocking the rounds about 2.5 maybe 3 inches
    although it could have been my shooting.
    100m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

johngalway wrote:
    I've a Sako Quad .22lr (good accurate rifle), got a Simmons Blazer 3-9x50 on t

I was going to get a Sako Quad before I settled on the CZ.
    Sako Quad could be a good (but maybe expensive) option for Rabbit Stew.
    Whats the story with the Sako Quad. If you want to buy the one or more
    of the other barrells are they treated as an entire firearm where you need
    to pay seperate licence fees etc ??

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Going from my expierence with the quad.

I handled a CZ, Anschutz, Marlin and Sako Quad the day we went shopping. Quad was the best by far in terms of handling, bolt, trigger (lovely altogether), safety position. It's SO well balanced. Mine came factory threaded with iron sights too (since removed). It's more expensive yeah, but I really rate it. You do need seperate licences for each barrel yes. There's a serial number on each barrel and also a rifle serial number on the side of the reciever. An untrained monkey could change the barrels. It's a pure joy to shoot! No need to buy any modifying accessories. Easy to change the trigger pull. Mate of mine has Quad in HMR, again the same top marks. Both rifles are very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Thaks for all the input.
    Just wondering does anyone know the proceedure for licensing a rimmy if you all ready have an air rifle license. Do you apply as a seperate license?

Just wondering does anyone know the proceedure for licensing a rimmy if you all ready have an air rifle license. Do you apply as a seperate license?

Yep, separate application/certificate for each firearm held. We are, however, strongly pushing for the "OMOL" system :D .

You'll already be on the Pulse system though so, theoretically, your application should go through a little quicker.

Forgot to say,

Great shootin' Bullets!!!!!

:)

Thanks kramer,
    What sort of scope would you use on your.22
    I've got a 4x on the air rifle and i'd be guessing you'd need a 9x if shooting 60 yrds or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Me too

Good shooting Bullets

Best of luck

3-9x40 is most common & perfect for the .22lr. For hunting, go for a fixed parallax model.

TBH, a decent scope around the €100 mark would be more than adequate. It's easy to upgrade later if you want something better.

Don't rule out the HMR though. Same price as the .22lr & yes, more expensive to shoot but a great little round. Have a look at CZ452s.........you won't go far wrong in either calibre.

just to give an airgun reply,500 pellets for 7-8 euro ain't bad,you've got an almost silent bit of kit,that you could almost practice with in the back garden.no risk of ricochets or having to worry about safe back drop.
    and the limited range has to help with field craft.
    below are outdoor groups hand held off a bench
    5 shot groups at @25m in light (10-15mph) wind

then 10 shots @ 50m no wind(one pig flyer,one is an obvious 3 shot string)

Howya BryanL,
    Cheers for the reply, Thats some pretty good shooting.
    What sort of rifle are you using and what sort of pellets?

hey rabbit stew,
    those are with an air arms 410 in .177,12ft/lb it's a very accurate gun i also have a HW80 running about 20ft/lb in .22 and that one is deadly.
    what have you got yourself?22 or .177
    best results are with H+N FTT pellets or air arms field and maybe accupells.cheaper stuff just give terrible groups.
    Bryan

• Advertisement

I'm using a Gamo Shadow 1000 .22. It's a springer. 12ft/lbs Where do you buy your air rifles from? Are you located in the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

now that we are on the subjest does anyone know where the best places in the north and south to go and buy an air rifle???

it's very easy to import one from england because you don't need a licence there.and you can get a one off import licence from the DOJ easily.if you go back and forth at all.i know that Cork is a dead loss for getting one.
    they all seem to be set at 12 ft/lb in Ireland for no reason.the best rifles for Ireland would be a HW 80,97 if getting a springer or else a theoben rapid II,these have the best capacity for upgrading the power
    Bryan

Advertisement