Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Candidates' debate on City Channel

• 18-05-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I'm just watching the candidates' debate on City Channel right now (off sick from work). The candidates in question are David Cullinane, Brendan McCann, Paudie Coffey, Mary Roche and Brendan Kenneally. There's also a guy from the Munster Express (Kieran Walsh?). I recognise the chairman from RTE I think - didn't he present Crimeline?

I don't know whether it's live now, or whether it's being or will be rebroadcast, but it's well worth watching.

Mary Roche and Paudie Coffey are very impressive. Neither one would look out of place being interviewed by Miriam O'Callaghan. Kenneally is doing a fine impression of the Quiet Man. Seems like a nice, genuine guy, but Waterford doesn't need a nice guy or gal - it needs four terriers constantly hassling the government!

McCann sounds like he's making sense for the first few minutes that he speaks, but soon you begin to realise that the guy lives on another planet entirely. He's also not at all behind the university bid either, a major sin, saying for example that MIT is world renowned and doesn't require to be upgraded to a university, and maybe WIT needs to up its reputation. He's ignoring the fact that this is Ireland and the magic word here is "university". Is he really that naive?

David Cullinane is well able to speak, but he trots out the usual "workers' republic" stuff. He could be Joe Higgins, Martin McGuinness or any of them. In fairness though, he's good. One thing though: he is Mossie Hennebry! I don't mean he sounds a bit like Mossie, I mean he is Mossie! The voice, the accent, the tone, the vocabulary. If anything happens to the guy who does Mossie on Today FM, they can just get David Cullinane to do him! Listen to how he says a phrase like "community participation in Waterford". Classic!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I watched in the other night and I thought it was quite good. McCann bored me to tears to be honest, but I tell you, I was really impressed with David Cullinae and Mary Roche.

I think they would be very good rep to have in the Dail for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Yeah,Mc Cann was saying on it how poor the rail service is to and from Waterford,and yet he goes and objects to the redevelopment of the train station,Is this guy for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Shane07 wrote:
    Yeah,Mc Cann was saying on it how poor the rail service is to and from Waterford,and yet he goes and objects to the redevelopment of the train station,Is this guy for real?

Imagine the headline in a national paper

"Green Party Candidate Objects to Improvement in Public Transport"

:mad: :mad:

Advertisement