Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Independant Audi Servicing

Options
  • 18-05-2007 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

All,

Just priced the wifey's 2000 Audi A3 for a timing-belt and service and nearly fell off the chair

Anyone know of a reputable Independant Audi qualified mechanic in Dublin, Wicklow or Wexford?

Shocking price from stealers for a 7 year old car....how do they sleep!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Why does the mechanic have to be "Audi Approved"?
    Servicing and changing a timing belt a standard enough things to do across all cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

nikimere wrote:
    Why does the mechanic have to be "Audi Approved"?
    Servicing and changing a timing belt a standard enough things to do across all cars.

I dont think hed be looking for audi 'approved' just someone with a vagcom who knows the inside of an audi. I came across this problem with my A3 back home in Glasgow, Audi guys take £70 an hour jst to look at your car....fixing it costs a whopping load extra, and so the best option is to find a mechanic who knows their audis (and not all do!) and who owns a vagcom to plug into the bugger - part of the service should normally be asking the car how its feeling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sinbadfury

Surely different brand engines can be different enough to require specific brand training?

What I mean in effect was someone that services Audi's/Volkswagen predominantly, so has VAG engine knowledge and is definite to use the official VAG parts for the job.

odonnell wrote:
    I dont think hed be looking for audi 'approved' just someone with a vagcom who knows the inside of an audi. I came across this problem with my A3 back home in Glasgow, Audi guys take £70 an hour jst to look at your car....fixing it costs a whopping load extra, and so the best option is to find a mechanic who knows their audis (and not all do!) and who owns a vagcom to plug into the bugger - part of the service should normally be asking the car how its feeling :)

On the button!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Again, you don't need an Audi mechanic. Changing timing belts on a road car is similar from all makes.
    Also to save money you don't have to use ALL Audi parts, Sure the timing belt will most likely have to be from Audi, but things like pads, discs, airfilters, oil filter etc.. can be bought from any motor factors.

• Advertisement

OK let's start again...

Looking for a reputable mechanic with vagcom & good audi servicing knowledge to routine service and replace a timing belt on a 2000 audi A3 1.6 with audi parts

Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford area

Anyone know of any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aodh

I've heard that Jetstar Motors in Kill Avenue, Dun Laoghaire are contracted to do servicing work for the local audi dealer. I haven't used them myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There is a guy called Lar who used to work for Foster Motor Co. as their head mechanic and has got all his VAG certified training as well as VAG diagnostic computers etc. He has set up on his own.

His number is 087-298-3745.

I have not used him before though, I just used Fosters for my last service but it can't hurt to get a quote off him.

Advertisement