Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox live automatic renewal

• 18-05-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I've read that MS will automatically renew your live subscription if you've purchased it by credit card.

I'm about to purchase a sub but I don't want this auto renewal to happen, so I'll avoid the dashboard purchase and besides I can get it €10 cheaper online. I've already purchased MS points via the dashboard (seen none anywhere cheaper) so my credit card details are already stored online.

If I purchase a an xbox live code, will they automatically renew my sub when it runs out using my credit card details stored in the dash board?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 J`S

yeah they did that with me as well but I dont really mind to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah balls, thought they might only do that if you purchased the live a/c via credit card :(
    Doesn't sound right though as I would never have authorised them to take payment via credit card for the xbox live service, only for the MS points service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I thought that with the latest update, you could remove your CC numbers from your account? Could have just been a rumour, I haven't checked.

koneko wrote:
    I thought that with the latest update, you could remove your CC numbers from your account? Could have just been a rumour, I haven't checked.

Not sure either, but it's handy having it there for when you want to purchase some points... maybe too handy!!
    I just don't want in 12 months time to forget to renew my sub and then MS automatically take €60 from the credit card and renew it, as I might not want to renew it or I might have been able to get it for a lot cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I thought they only automatically re-new it if you bought the original sub through them?
    Otherwise they could be sued for charging for something you didn't ask for or agree too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

mcgovern wrote:
    I thought they only automatically re-new it if you bought the original sub through them?
    Otherwise they could be sued for charging for something you didn't ask for or agree too.
    Nah - If you look at the Terms and Conditions when buying with Credit Card you'll see that there's a provision in there that they will continue to charge you (i.e. renew your sub) unless you cancel it - not only that, but if your credit card expires and they've charged you, when you enter a new credit card you'll owe them arrears for the dud transaction.

If you go in to most shops (Game, HMV, GameStop, etc.) they'll have prepaid cards (1 month, 3 moths, 12 months) for the same price as you'd pay with Credit Card ... but once they expire it automatically bounces back to a Silver Sub.

I went with the prepaid card once I saw the whole renew thing in the Terms and Conditions (I mean, I could just forget to cancel and they'd happily keep charging away). Em, no thanks.

Nah - If you look at the Terms and Conditions when buying with Credit Card you'll see that there's a provision in there that they will continue to charge you (i.e. renew your sub) unless you cancel it - not only that, but if your credit card expires and they've charged you, when you enter a new credit card you'll owe them arrears for the dud transaction.

If you go in to most shops (Game, HMV, GameStop, etc.) they'll have prepaid cards (1 month, 3 moths, 12 months) for the same price as you'd pay with Credit Card ... but once they expire it automatically bounces back to a Silver Sub.

I went with the prepaid card once I saw the whole renew thing in the Terms and Conditions (I mean, I could just forget to cancel and they'd happily keep charging away). Em, no thanks.

Just to follow up on that, if you buy your live account with a prepaid card it would normally expire to silver after 12 months. What I'm not clear on is what happens if you have your credit card registered with them for purchasing MS points. I've read their T&C's and it's not clear on this. Will the prepaid a/c still change to silver or will MS use your credit card details to renew the subscription?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I've a horrible feeling that I'm currently being charged for two xbox live accounts, only one of which I use.
    When I got my xbox I joined with credit card, but I got bored of it after awhile and just left it. They sent me an email saying that my credit card details had expired, so I thought "grand, don't want to renew anyway" ... but I just recieved an email last week to notify me that they were going to renew... and it used my mothers name (it was her credit card) ... so it looks like I'm being charged for two accounts as I used a time code when I got my 360.
    Load of **** really. I won't be impressed if I've been charged for 4 years of xbox live without my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭EricM

I lost my card last year and got a new number for the bank, so MS couldnt charge me, took them 4 months to cut me off, then I just renewed and got 1 year from the renewal time. 4 months free :)

Advertisement