Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live streaming video from a website(Maybe better suited for the techies)

• 18-05-2007 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Does current GPRS infrastructure allow a user to log on to a website, and view streaming live video on their phone??

This, of course would be if it were accessed from Opera Mini..or one of those cool new mobile browsers.

Basicly in essence ive got an ambitious project where I want to stream live video from my website to a mobile phone with only GPRS coverage..... How possible or impossible is this? Obviously the video res would be reduced as much as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I'm open to correction - but afaik Opera mini doesn't have any video/audio capability - not too sure about any other mobile browsers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

wasn't too sure about Opera tbh. Just throwing it out there. :-)

Anyone else have any opinions on it... would it be possible?

How about using it thru mobile realplayer?? could this be a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

entirely possible using realplayer, thats what the Nokia N70 I have uses when you access any streamed video on Voda live.

Unless you can get a competitive data rate and decent 3g connectivity its going to be tough to get consistent quality data to a device though.

Can anybody give me stats for achievable speeds for GRPS connectivity with a medium/strong signal?

The reason im plugging the GPRS is that it's everywhere... 3G is very nit-picky with coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/gprs.htm

in practice you get about the same speeds as a modem, certainly not lightspeed by any measure or means.

It also has a lot to do with available 'slots' as the priority of data gets bumped down when voice gets busy.

• Advertisement

detritus wrote:
    http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/gprs.htm

in practice you get about the same speeds as a modem, certainly not lightspeed by any measure or means.

It also has a lot to do with available 'slots' as the priority of data gets bumped down when voice gets busy.

Thanks very much for the info detritus.

I suppose, if frame rate was reduced along with the bitrate of the stream..it may be achivable.

Anyone else with more info would be much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I test orb streaming at 40kb/s and while not great quality it would do for watching the news.

I wonder how well EDGE cell handover matches 3G... Anyway I should find out in a weeks time when my meteor data package becomes available.

Advertisement