Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XSeries is coming to three - June 25th!

• 18-05-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I got a call from three late last week. During the call I was offered a free upgrade to a Nokia N73. During the call, I spoke to a team leader and gave out about the lack of X Series. I was annoyed with three and threatened to cancel my account. He told me that I could have the upgrade now, as X Series was being released on the 25th June. He told me that if they fail to launch it by the end of June I would be allowed to cancel my account without penalty.

I decided not to get the phone, as I dont want the N73. I am holding out for the Nokia E65 or the new Sony 950i.

So it looks like X Series will be here next month!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Didn't say anything about pricing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

N73 as X-series is now in a 3 store for 399€ on PrePay with a 100€ call credit.

It's 399€ according to them because the phone is 484€ and they deduct 85€ as a 3Pay discout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

did they have much about it or was it just in the corner? which 3 store was it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

N73 as X-series is now in a 3 store for 399€ on PrePay with a 100€ call credit.

It's 399€ according to them because the phone is 484€ and they deduct 85€ as a 3Pay discout.

What do you mean by "X-series" here? Orb, slingplayer, skype etc? I thought it was not supposed to be out for another month.. Can't believe it's out already...

BTW, N73 is €379 on their website..

flodis79 wrote:
    What do you mean by "X-series" here? Orb, slingplayer, skype etc? I thought it was not supposed to be out for another month.. Can't believe it's out already...

BTW, N73 is €379 on their website..

So it's 20€ for the privelege of paying it in shop instead of online and taking it home right now ;) But in the shop there is also a 100€ call credit, I can't see that online.

The box says "X-Series" on one side and "3" on the other.

Messenger, Yahoo, Skype, Sling, Google, Orb, Ebay all pre-installed.
    Planet 3 links to a "X-Series Home Page".

However beside Messenger nothing works and is pointing to a page saying "soon available in Ireland".

So I assume this is the X-Series Phone they are going to use and once 3 series is available you can change your price plan.
    davton wrote:
    did they have much about it or was it just in the corner? which 3 store was it in
    In Swords, there was no display/advertising. The only reason it came up was that I tried to get a new battery for my K800 as the 3rd repaid of it did not work. I told him that I'm going to leave 3 once the contract finishes and that the only thing stopping me would be the x-series but with phones/service not available it would mad to wait. He promptly presented me with the N73 in and x-series box and told me, "phone is here... service comes end of the month. Wanna buy?" He had the 3Pay version for 399€ including 100€ credit and told me I could you my BillPay USIM in there without a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Now available on 3 Italia too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What makes this thing so great then?

Loads of cheap data to use on your handset with built-in apps -the use of some, Skype for example, is effectively unlimited and does not come out of the X-series allowance.

There are three flavours of X-series in the UK -vanilla, Silver and Gold. I just got switched to Silver last week for use with my N95. That's officially not allowed but I managed it via a few fibs. Costs 8€ a month.

A hidden bonus is then using your handset as a BT modem. Again, this is officially frowned upon but I have never been charged. If I then use my X-Series in Ireland, I get HSDPA speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

But the handset needs to be a HSDPA handset to get those speeds surely?

Also, is there any restrictions on normal services? Seen something about not being able to connect to GSM networks?

But the handset needs to be a HSDPA handset to get those speeds surely?

Also, is there any restrictions on normal services? Seen something about not being able to connect to GSM networks?

Yes, of course, but I try to use it in my N95, which does offer HSDPA>

I don't know what 3 Ireland plan for X-Series given that they also offer Mobile Broadband add-ons which the UK don't. There are no apparent restrictions on the UK version, just a lack of apps for the N95 which they do not support and so I use fring.

With regard to GSM nets I think you're confusing X-series with the new 10GB tariff on the datamodem.

• Advertisement

Watching Dr. Who on the road from my sling box while being stuck in some dark airport in the UK?

Not being out bid last minute on eBay because now I can check it on the road?

Access to my home PC from my phone for last minute documents or that tune I just forgot to download at home?

Or the little software add on for 39$ which gives my phone push access to my e-mail so that I don't have to use an ugly Windows Mobile phone or blackberry for my e-mail/outlook/calendar/contacts.

More info on the x-series here.

I am now on a priceplan with a data add-on and I use a lot of push e-mail and internet (airlines/hotels etc) and it works fine, with X it's just all in one bundle for costing and also Skype will be great (if they allow international calls on it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Hmm, so X-Series launches here in June, only 5 months behind the UK, dispite 3 saying that it would be launching in Ireland in February when the HSDPA network update was completed.

Its now launching july 1st, on 3monthly only though I'm told at a price of 19.99 add-on.
    Will be available on the N73 and E65 but is still under testing for other models.

i would rather wait for the N95, just hope i wont be death by then..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

davton wrote:
    Its now launching july 1st, on 3monthly only though I'm told at a price of 19.99 add-on.
    Will be available on the N73 and E65 but is still under testing for other models.

i would rather wait for the N95, just hope i wont be death by then..........

Where did you get this info from? If it's available 1st July I might just take a punt on it, can't wait much longer than that though.

Strange to see only one price plan - UK has 3 different plans. I'm mainly interested in it for ORB& SLingbox to access my PC on the go - any word if that's included in that package?

Am I right in assuming that x-series users will still be plagued by the problems experienced by other 3 Ireland users (e.g. problems with international texts, no webtexts, poor coverage in certain areas)?

Where did you get this info from? If it's available 1st July I might just take a punt on it, can't wait much longer than that though.

Strange to see only one price plan - UK has 3 different plans. I'm mainly interested in it for ORB& SLingbox to access my PC on the go - any word if that's included in that package?

Am I right in assuming that x-series users will still be plagued by the problems experienced by other 3 Ireland users (e.g. problems with international texts, no webtexts, poor coverage in certain areas)?

I was talking to one of the advisors today about my upgrade, and he was telling me. I forgot to ask why only one plan and why only 3monthly, but im sure more will come in time.

Orb is included but I dont knw if the slingbox would be, hardly.

If you dont wait, what you thinking about?

found out 2day there will be two packages:

Silver €14.99
    Gold €19.99,, silver doesn't have the full range of services

davton wrote:
    found out 2day there will be two packages:

Silver €14.99
    Gold €19.99,, silver doesn't have the full range of services

Does not sound unreasonable to me. I'd em, 'go for gold'.

culabula wrote:
    Does not sound unreasonable to me. I'd em, 'go for gold'.

no i think its worth the extra fiver, its the same as the unlimted broadband but including the orb skype extra

only down side i see, no n95. i use N80 and three want me to upgrade to the n73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

What a fiasco. All third party apps that do not use port 80 blocked.

Can not register with Orb as the process requires a UK phone number.

The Skype client is seriously crippled as it does not support text chat and also only seems to work in 3G areas while Fring (now blocked) allows text and voice on Skype even in GPRS areas.

The MSN client is a very basic one. Also only seems to work in 3G areas and is nothing compared to the official Microsoft Symbian client in terms of functionality which Three in their wisdom have also blocked.

Streaming from any rstp source seems to break after about 2 to 3 minutes.

Those on the 100mb pre-pay addon seem to face none of these restrictions while those of us on higher tariffs do. Essentially we are paying for a higher bandwidth when Three now with these restrictions we could never hope to even vaguely approach the limit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055148669

Well, it is made clear that Skype has no chat function.
    I use fring with both my 3UK X Series and 3IRL datasim. No probs.

• Advertisement

Where are you based C and what addon are you using? You seem to be the exception to the rule judging by the feedback on the state of x-series and 3 party apps on 3 threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I think the difference for culabula is that he has a data sim which is basically what goes into the usb modems, these sims don't support voice packages, i.e. 30c p/m

Bluefrog wrote:
    Where are you based C and what addon are you using? You seem to be the exception to the rule judging by the feedback on the state of x-series and 3 party apps on 3 threads.

For the past two weeks I have been based in Dublin: I had no problems using my X-Series SIM (UK) and these apps, but occasionally transferred my 10GB 3 Ireland SIM into the N95 and used that instead. Fring continued to work (and knows automatically that both SIMs are registered and legitimate to use with the same bunch of contacts).

Maybe I should emmigrate to the UK for decent X-Series...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

Hi, I only just found this thread.
    I've been thinking of buying the e65 from 3 on contract this December, but I've had an awful lot of hassle with my 3 modem, so I'm very weary of this cowboy outfit.
    Still, the e65 is a good phone, I believe, and I have been fancying the X series services. Have there been any improvements since you guys last posted here?
    I went to the Ennis Carphone Warehouse today to ask about it, and yer man said that the X series wasn't out yet in Ireland...
    So I really need some feedback from people who've been using the service.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Is there anywhere to download the IE x-series software to an xseries capable (but not obviously not yet installed) handset such as the N73? I would switch to x-series gold seeing as I got a slingbox recently but as yet there is no option it seems to get the software and upgrade your handset. So for now it seems xseries is only available on the E65.. thought I remember being promised back in January that when x-series came out I would get a text message with an "option to download the software" link. Needless to say that has not happened. :-)

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Bluefrog wrote: »
    What a fiasco. All third party apps that do not use port 80 blocked.

Can not register with Orb as the process requires a UK phone number.

The Skype client is seriously crippled as it does not support text chat and also only seems to work in 3G areas while Fring (now blocked) allows text and voice on Skype even in GPRS areas.

The MSN client is a very basic one. Also only seems to work in 3G areas and is nothing compared to the official Microsoft Symbian client in terms of functionality which Three in their wisdom have also blocked.

Streaming from any rstp source seems to break after about 2 to 3 minutes.

Those on the 100mb pre-pay addon seem to face none of these restrictions while those of us on higher tariffs do. Essentially we are paying for a higher bandwidth when Three now with these restrictions we could never hope to even vaguely approach the limit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055148669

of course its all a big gimmick. for years they have been blocking anything besides port 80 on mobile phone networks. at least on meteor i can get access to all ports, still can't accept connections but they don't block anything. it is very expensive to use but i don't have to put up with any ****e to quickly check mails on my own server

3 is very good at milking its customers for all they're worth & providing fck all service. i'm sure the select group of companies involved aren't getting it for free either. if one looks back a few pages and see all the threads complaining about '3' then one will soon realise its nothing to get excited about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

quintron wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to download the IE x-series software to an xseries capable (but not obviously not yet installed) handset such as the N73?

From the my three page click on the internet link and there them should be a link where you can download the slingbox application from, unless they have that page customised for each phone as well. The pre installed apps on the e65 only seen to be links to that internet page anyway as i still had to download and install every thing again.
    Three's own branded version of the sling player does not seen to run in full screen though for some reason and the new official un branded version is 30 dollars from sling themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

robinph wrote: »
    From the my three page click on the internet link and there them should be a link where you can download the slingbox application from, unless they have that page customised for each phone as well. The pre installed apps on the e65 only seen to be links to that internet page anyway as i still had to download and install every thing again.
    Three's own branded version of the sling player does not seen to run in full screen though for some reason and the new official un branded version is 30 dollars from sling themselves.

Cheers robinph. Ain't working my end. Set my phone to E65 and no difference.
    I do have Slings trial player on the phone at the moment and its only so-so. Certainly not worth 30 bucks in its present incarnation. 3 branded or not it won't run full screen. I have been on to sling and they have no plans to upgrade it at the moment either.
    There IS hope though if you have to download the .sis files to get them working on your E65...
    Maybe someone could d/load them to phone and host the .sis files?
    hint hint.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

quintron wrote: »
    Cheers robinph. Ain't working my end. Set my phone to E65 and no difference.
    I do have Slings trial player on the phone at the moment and its only so-so. Certainly not worth 30 bucks in its present incarnation. 3 branded or not it won't run full screen. I have been on to sling and they have no plans to upgrade it at the moment either.
    There IS hope though if you have to download the .sis files to get them working on your E65...
    Maybe someone could d/load them to phone and host the .sis files?
    hint hint.. ;)
    Slings own player does definitely run in full screen on the E65, the 3 versions won't though. I was trying to figure out how to get the addresses of the pages from my phone so I could post the direct links to the Three download page for you but couldn't figure that out as the text goes off the side of the screen and won't let me scroll across to read the end of the line. If you know how I'd go about getting the .sisx files off the phone I'd be more than happy to do so, but again I haven't a clue how to get them from the phone.

Advertisement