Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fading Digital Clocks

Options
  • 18-05-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Quck one for yas! The digital clock (Trip counter, MPG, Total Millage etc) is giving me problems. When the cars off the clock appears normal with the correct time etc. But once i turn the key into the first position (lights up the dash etc) the display fades to the point some digits are barley readable. Looks kinda like a digital watch when the battery is going dead. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it LCD or LED? LCD displays are fragile things and can go bad almost at anytime in truth or indeed not ever.

There's a BMW display which, if it goes wrong costs about a grand to replace!

How long have you noticed this and is it getting worse over time?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It might sound simple but is there a dial on your dash to turn th ebrightness up and down? If I turn it down on my Safrane it is very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Its a LCD display, nah seems to be like this since i got the car last week too. Ironicly this is the third car i've driving in the last two months with this problem. Its deffo a fault somewhere not switches for brightness or anything lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Its a LCD display, nah seems to be like this since i got the car last week too. Ironicly this is the third car i've driving in the last two months with this problem. Its deffo a fault somewhere not switches for brightness or anything lol

Not being smart, but are your dipped beams on?
    Usually your dashboard display dims when your dipped beams are on, this is to reduce glare at nighttime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like the display is supposed to dim when the lights are turned on - this is a feature on a lot of cars. But from what you say it dims far too much. I'm making somewhat of a guess here, but it may be that the resistance that is used to dim the bulbs has gone faulty or there is a poor connection somewhere.

What make/model of car is it?

• Advertisement

I think the only way i can discribe this to ya's is pictures lol

IGNITION OFF: Car isnt on and the clock looks normal and the digits are shown clearly.

IGNITION ON: Digits Fade and weaken. EXAMPLES: Half of the number '0' in the centre of the image. The digit on the far left of the image is also supposed to be a zero. Top part of number 6 and part of number 3 missing.

It must be a electrical fault somewhere, such as enough power is reaching the display but one the ignition is turned on it fails.

This is head recking lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus that display is on the way out. Time to replace.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I agree with Mike. It's fcuked. Either live with it or replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I concur, I'm afraid.

Backlighting is fine, you're looking at a new module, or as crosstown says, live with it.

Personally I'd do the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

not meaning to be cruel, but is it French???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

ninty9er wrote:
    not meaning to be cruel, but is it French???

The dash is clearly made by Veglia Borletti... which is a Fiat group company. That doesn't mean anything though. They make instruments for many different brands.

Sooooooooooooooooo............

Since i bought the car the front passenger sidelight wasnt working, i adventured to halfords today and replaced the blue....

Got into the car and looked the dash.... FIXED!!!

Spookey?!?!?! How can me changing a headlight bulb sort out my dash lol
    I'm thinkin if the blub was shorting it would have been using the same earth as the display and giving some amps back to the dash.

Advertisement