Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Joining" the army for training only.

• 18-05-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I'm sure there will be a lot of current members of the army who'll probably be cynical of what I'm asking, and I would probably be the same...

Anyway, I've going through a number of times when I've thought about joining the army (prob the British Army) but have always gone back on that and decided I'd be better at other things, and then decided that joining the army wouldn't be a good thing.

The reason I'd like to join the army is to test myself - and to try and and excel at it. I'd also like to be doing something for the "greater good" while kicking some ass where necessary (prob a diluted view of what army life is really like, but anyway).

I was talking to one of the recruitment people on British Army site, and they said that when you do training, you have the option of leaving after 30/60 days (something like that).

So I'm thinking of joining to do the training only, not that I'm scared of touring or whatever, but I just don't think I could commit to army life at this stage in mine. I would like to learn the things you do in training though, toughen up etc, as I think it would benefit me in later life.

Is this wrong, or is it acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

its wrong your taking the place of someone who wnats to be there, go do a boot camp in the US or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

jonnybax wrote:
    Hi,

I'm sure there will be a lot of current members of the army who'll probably be cynical of what I'm asking, and I would probably be the same...

Anyway, I've going through a number of times when I've thought about joining the army (prob the British Army) but have always gone back on that and decided I'd be better at other things, and then decided that joining the army wouldn't be a good thing.

The reason I'd like to join the army is to test myself - and to try and and excel at it. I'd also like to be doing something for the "greater good" while kicking some ass where necessary (prob a diluted view of what army life is really like, but anyway).

I was talking to one of the recruitment people on British Army site, and they said that when you do training, you have the option of leaving after 30/60 days (something like that).

So I'm thinking of joining to do the training only, not that I'm scared of touring or whatever, but I just don't think I could commit to army life at this stage in mine. I would like to learn the things you do in training though, toughen up etc, as I think it would benefit me in later life.

Is this wrong, or is it acceptable?

You can do it, it is wrong, and unacceptable, and you will have to buy yourself out of your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Well you can leave after a certain point in training, or get yourself kicked out. I know the first 13 weeks is it now that's considered "trial period" by the army. But you'd still be missing out on the best of the training - the advanced training, and the courses you can do later on.

Your idea of being a soldier like that is flawed, as you must remember that 1. you are costing the taxpayer money and 2. you are taking the place of someone who genuinely wants to be there - in the Irish army that's actually quite a big thing, given the small size; and the Brits certainly wouldn't like you for it either, given their recruitment problems.

If you want to "test yourself" then join the army for four or five years. It's a lot more challenging and rewarding that way. Or just go join the boyscouts or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Join a rugby team .... carefull the only ass being kicked in the British/Irish army could be yours...

You will be brought through the training what then ? Join the army to serve your time as a squadie not see if you can become one.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I agree with above posters who say are taking the place of someone who wants to make a career out of the DF.

I've met one or two people who had the same outlook on the Army.

One of those guys is still serving another guy left after training and everytime I bump into him in Dublin he regrets leaving after doing the training.

My biggest question would be...why go through all the blood, sweat and tears just to quit?

things only start to get interesting when you get posted to your unit.

I'd advise you to join the RDF and sign up for the cross training with Permament units. It may take a while to get to it but the training will be top class.

If you REALLY want to test yourself in this manner then why not join the French Foreign Legion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

either join the army or join a fitness club... dont waste the irish taxpayers money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Or join the civil service and "be the best" at wasting the taxpayers money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Zambia232 wrote:
    Or join the civil service and "be the best" at wasting the taxpayers money

Funniest thing I have ever seen in here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

Hard Larry wrote:

If you REALLY want to test yourself in this manner then why not join the French Foreign Legion?

Foreign Legion selection is really tough. If they find anything wrong with you at all, you will be turned away.

check out the forum on cervens.net

Advertisement