Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited text messages from local candidates

Options
  • 18-05-2007 4:23pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting these? I've had two so far from the same candidate in Shannon. His number shows up as his name (T.Mulcahy).

I think he may have gotten my number from when I won some money in a poker challenge in Shannon that was being run by him as part of his fund raising.

I didn't sign anything allowing this spam, is this allowed?

Wasn't sure if this belonged in mobile or here, but I thought as it was specific to the election...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well if you gave him/her your number I dont see what theyve done wrong.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The number was given as part of a sign up for a poker game. I didn't request any promotional / marketing / political broadcasts. It's the unsolicited part that I have a problem with. I read everything I sign and I never tick the box to allow contact...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You have learned two valuable life lessons.
    1) Never give out your mobile number to anyone you might not want to hear from in the future.
    2) Politicians are sneaky snakes.

Indeed. I also learned that if you receive an unsolicited text you can forward it (for free) to your network by sending it to these numbers.

O2: 50455
    Vodafone: 50005
    Meteor: 50002

3 Don't have one according to the page I found.

Clicky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Just reply to him.

"Got your text Tony. You were going to get my number 1 vote, but now I see you're a fan of spam so I'm switching to Fianna Fail instead"

Obviously you'll vote for whoever you want to, but him being FG if he thinks you're voting for FF that'll tick him off most.

• Advertisement

Lol, may do that. :)

I also found in the mobile section more advice. Should have searched better the first time. :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977632

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

spam him back. use your imagination. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

The data protection rules are quite clear about this:

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2c.htm&CatID=18&m=r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

MarkR wrote:
    Is anyone else getting these? I've had two so far from the same candidate in Shannon. His number shows up as his name (T.Mulcahy).
    so you also put the number in your own phone adding him as a contact?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No, it's possible to have a name instead of a number as the originator of an SMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

oscarBravo wrote:
    No, it's possible to have a name instead of a number as the originator of an SMS.

Yup can be done. FF HQ contact members on masse using a name and not a number. I'd hate to see the bill:eek: :eek: :eek:

edit* Now that I think of it Willie O'Dea did a recorded automated phonecall with canvass details for all members in the Limerick area

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Yeah, the ****er called me up with his demon dialler at 3 am a few months ago. the bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

MarkR wrote:
    QUOTE]

I know for a fact that fellow has my mobile number, some of his canvasers called to the door one night and we were just after buying this house so I just said to get rid of them I gave them the 'I would love to vote for you - not registered lads, just moved excuse'....

Anyway that did not get rid of them and I eventually had to give them my Mobile because they were going to organize it for me (which I had on the priority list anyway, so democrat that I am - I just said sure OK).

Anyway T.M. personally called me that night three times to see was I on any other lists, so he could just transfer it..... some other fellow then showed up at the door a few days later with the forms (not sure was it the same guy because I was giving them all the 'Cant vote' line by now)

Anyway my point is that if there was blanket texting going on, I would probably be part of it and I am not.

Advertisement