Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If an M.E.P. get elected to the Dáil...

Options
  • 18-05-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

If Simon Coveney,Mary Lou Mc Donald or Mairead McGuinness get elected to the Dáil will they have to resign their seats in Brussels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Their seats will filled by nominees of their respective parties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Jon wrote:
    Their seats will filled by nominees of their respective parties

Ok thanks. I dont agree with that at all. If you get elected as MEP you should see out your term and not delegate it on to someone that the people did not wish to be an mep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flurby

Yeah that's bull. Especially when you consider the electorate voted for that person to represent them... not their party. If I had voted for Mary Lou I might be very peeved if some Shinner I didn't like took her place.

flurby wrote:
    Yeah that's bull. Especially when you consider the electorate voted for that person to represent them... not their party. If I had voted for Mary Lou I might be very peeved if some Shinner I didn't like took her place.

Well its not just her. Mc Guinness and Coveney (FG) should all see out their term if they actually are to fulfil the commitments im sure they made during mep elections

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually I would much prefer that in future you voted for a party and its policies and they filled the positions from a list of candidates for their parties thus removing the bull**** personality side (and parish pump) of irish politics.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Actually I would much prefer that in future you voted for a party and its policies and they filled the positions from a list of candidates for their parties thus removing the bull**** personality side (and parish pump) of irish politics.

All that same crap goes on within a party though. The amount of bootlicking most of our tds did just to get nominated is unreal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

gandalf wrote:

People make the parties and policies. You also need to know if the person you're voting for has the confidence, intelligence and the energy to fulfill the position. Something policies can't show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

flurby wrote:

I think they nominate their alternatives at the time of the election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Voipjunkie wrote:
    I think they nominate their alternatives at the time of the election

I know this happened at the FG conventions and the names of the substitutes were published at the time. People voted for the subs as well as the candidates.

• Advertisement

I know SF's replacement is very capable indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Jon wrote:
    I know SF's replacement is very capable indeed.

Who...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

You can be a TD and MEP at the same time. Same thing in the north I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Yes and No.

You can be elected to the European Parliament when you're a TD yes. But on being elected to the Dail or Seanad you must resign any other elected public role ie Council seat or European Parliament seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ateam wrote:
    People make the parties and policies. You also need to know if the person you're voting for has the confidence, intelligence and the energy to fulfill the position. Something policies can't show.

Actually you're wrong, it will be up to the party to ensure they put the people in place that can do the job and impliement policies or provide proper opposition rather than have people in place who may be known locally but are lacking in their abilities, Martin Cullen being a prime example (but I am sure there are plenty of people in the other political parties who are lacking but are only on the ticket because they or their family name are "known").

Jon wrote:

So am I correct that the replacements are selected before the election as we do not have by-elections for European seats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

gandalf wrote:
    Actually you're wrong, it will be up to the party to ensure they put the people in place that can do the job and impliement policies or provide proper opposition rather than have people in place who may be known locally but are lacking in their abilities, Martin Cullen being a prime example (but I am sure there are plenty of people in the other political parties who are lacking but are only on the ticket because they or their family name are "known").

Are you suggesting that a person gets elected by thousands of people and is put into a high profile cabinet position because the family name is "known". I think there's a little more to it than that.

Voipjunkie wrote:
    So am I correct that the replacements are selected before the election as we do not have by-elections for European seats

Thats correct, afaik each party must have 2 replacements or nominee replacements

ateam wrote:
    Are you suggesting that a person gets elected by thousands of people and is put into a high profile cabinet position because the family name is "known". I think there's a little more to it than that.

6 words

Sile Devalera
    Sean Haughey
    Conor Lenihan

I would not include Brian Lenihan as he is fairly competent and partially there on merit although the Lenihan name did not hurt when he stood for election the first time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement