Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob in Wexford

Options
  • 18-05-2007 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi guys. I'm interested in getting involved in shooting but not sure where to start? does anyone know of any clubs in the wexford area? preferably around wexford town, though i could travel.

Id be interested in clay shooting, but obviously would need to start off somewhere first, and get some instruction. Any advice and tips would be appreciated as well ascontact info for any clubs in or around wexford. i think there's one in Piercestown, but they aren't in yellow pages or anything

cheers

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Talk to Jack Kelly in the gun shop, in the faythe. He'll point you in the right direction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

There is a clay pigeon club in a disused quarry close to Oilgate.

I dont think they have any club guns as such but I recommend going up to have a chat with them. They will appreciate the fact that everyone has to start somewhere.

Hopefully Original Psycho will drop into this thread, he lives close to this place and he might be able to get you some contact details.

Good Luck.

The user formally known as originally pyscho here!

There was a clay club on the banks of the Slaney accross from where the Oak Tavern used to be, I think (not a clay shooter here!) it is run by Jack Kelly so he would be the man to talk to. His shop in is the Faythe, and someone there will know a lot more then me!

I have also heard of a new club thats opened up out Kilmore way... haven't been out there yet so can't comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Chopperdog wrote:
    There is a clay pigeon club in a disused quarry close to Oilgate.

I dont think they have any club guns as such but I recommend going up to have a chat with them. They will appreciate the fact that everyone has to start somewhere.

Hopefully Original Psycho will drop into this thread, he lives close to this place and he might be able to get you some contact details.

Good Luck.

the club in oilgate wont let you in if your not from oilgate f***ers ......
    are you from wexford original psyco ????

Yep - from quite close to the club I mentioned in the above post.

Though am based in Dub at the moment, only get home on the odd weekend :(

Don't know this Oilgate club, however I think Cdog was reffering to the club near the Slaney, there were a couple of big shoots there a while back.

• Advertisement

yeah there is a club in oilgate the man that owns the pub/diner in oilgate runs it , awkward to get in to ??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

The club in Bunclody is quite big into clay shooting, if thats any closer to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 afterglow82

thanks for your help - tried talking to the fella in the gun shop in the faythe - he said he new of one out piercestown way, but didnt have a phone number for it, cos the chairperson and other people involved keep changing so often.

Croppy boy -bunclody is quite a way from me - im in wexford town - but i could get to it. do u have a phone number for it?

iainnash - the club near the oak tavern you are talking about - when you say accross from the oak tavern, do you mean across the main road, down that road that leads into town along the banks of the river?

Nope - its accross the river from the spot where Oak Tavern used to be.

Guys in the Faythe should have the details..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

The Gun Club in Oylegate (not Oilgate as the signs suggest!) is a common or Garden G.P.A. (they just shoot pheasants and ducks in effect), the reason this club and others of its ilk don't want 'outsiders' is that they don't want city slickers coming in and shooting their pheasants without working on rearing, releasing etc. The usual rule in such clubs in the general Enniscorthy area is, if you're not living in or originally from the parish, sling yer hook. Unofficially the Gardai in many areas like having this closed system as it cuts down on having to find out details on outsiders when they apply for a licence using the local club as a 'reason' for the application.

Clay Target Sports Wexford is the club at Killowen near Ferrycarrig and if Jack Kelly hasn't welcomed you with open arms, you're in bad luck, he's the head honcho in this club. Some G.P.A. clubs are quite active clay shooters, Bunclody, Ferns, Newbay and Rathnure are some examples.
    There are a few pistol clubs (not your bag maybe?), one in Tomhaggard and one in Castlebridge to name two but unfortunately if you're not 'in the scene', you're in trouble. I have been on numerous committees in my time in Wexford and often new members won't be accepted unless they're known to at least 2 committee members!
    My advice is: try to find a shooter who is in one of these clubs and ask them if you can come along as a guest, most clubs usually have a guest scheme where you can pay a small fee for one off insurance. Usually if you show an interest, are safe, turn up often and especially offer to WORK you will be welcomed into the fold in short.
    Alternatively you can write to the NARGC or Countryside Alliance, google them for details, and they should be able give you secretary's names and addresses in the area. You can then write to ask about membership.
    Best advice, go to local clay shoots and talk to people, ask questions at the stands, like "do you hold any club shoots", or "who do I talk to about membership?".
    I am speaking from experience, it doesn't seem fair to have such a closed shop system but them's the breaks kiddo.
    I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I thought that the castle bridge club had moved???

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Wow! Even the target clubs down there are exclusive? To think that we are bending over backwards to get people to take up the sport:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

iainnash wrote:
    I thought that the castle bridge club had moved???
    You're right it did, moved twice since in fact. But now there's a new one there, pistols only. Closed shop too, it's an 'invitational' club.

Wow! Even the target clubs down there are exclusive? To think that we are bending over backwards to get people to take up the sport:confused:
    yeah wouldnt it be better if the clubs let you join then they would know your insured through the club instead of some people shooting across land uninsured ?? people still get firearm licences if their in a club or not ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

Does someone have a contact number for Jack Kelly's gunshop in the Faythe, Wexford?

Seamus

goldenpages.ie

Kellys Pub or Kellys Gun store in teh faythe

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

the hunter wrote: »
    yeah wouldnt it be better if the clubs let you join then they would know your insured through the club instead of some people shooting across land uninsured ??

Especially if they are locals who the club don't like! My local club is chaired by a scotch man, and the secretary lives the other side of the city, both of them having no roots in the area whatsoever, but they still won't let me, born and reared in the area, join! Apparrently they're full up!...... they've been like that for the past ten years!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Seamus357 wrote: »
    Does someone have a contact number for Jack Kelly's gunshop in the Faythe, Wexford?

Seamus

Yes but im not posting it on the open forum. PM me if you cant get it in the phone book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i remember my first attempt at joining a gun club here about 8 years ago, they looked at me like i was an undercover guard at a drug baron conference, not exactly welcoming and altogether unpleasant experience. in short i haven't joined another one since. in fact my local guards were much more helpful!
    i just think if we want people to get involved in our sport we need to be less secretive and a bit more welcoming to people that are interested and dont have a clue what to do. apart from this forum, there is not a lot of resources available to new people. can you imagine if afterglow didnt have internet access? exactly my problem 8 years ago, only i was just lucky to have access to land and long time hunters to show me the ropes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Especially if they are locals who the club don't like! My local club is chaired by a scotch man, and the secretary lives the other side of the city, both of them having no roots in the area whatsoever, but they still won't let me, born and reared in the area, join! Apparrently they're full up!...... they've been like that for the past ten years!
    Has there been any progress in establishing your own club?

• Advertisement
Advertisement