Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about progression to Second Year

Options
  • 18-05-2007 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Okay, I'm in First Year Arts, and in February my little brother was born and quickly got sick. Long story short, he has a rare, incurable condition and nearly died, and was in Temple Street Children's Hospital for months. I had to leave college because of this as obviously it was a really tense time, and I was needed at home, which is 2 hours from Dublin, so I could care for younger siblings.

I managed to get assignments in for a lot of modules, and filled out an extenuating circumstances form, but I basically had no idea about the form we had to fill in with our courses for second year, which was due in 13th April.

Now, am I doomed, or will the fact that I've handed in the extenuating circumstances form, and have real reasons for my second year form being late matter? Can I still hand in the form to the program office next week? Is it even still open at this stage?

I know I was a complete idiot for letting college slip so much, but as I said, I was really needed at home. I don't want to have to repeat an entire year, or eff up the first half of my degree in second year because of this. I'll have to repeat a few modules next year as it is because of all this.

Any info and / or help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

go talk to a student advisor in arts block beside chaplaincy they will be able to help more than anyone on this site. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well i got some good news for you. That form which was due to be handed into the programme office has nothing to do with your 2nd year choices. I asked the office when i did this and they said its just so they get an idea what people will be doing next year. You pick in August or whenever what subjects to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yeah, thats what I heard as well. Purely numbers. It might get difficult if you want to do a single subject major, such as Archaeology, because a separate form is required for that (although it could again just be numbers).

Still, burnedfaceman is right. Best thing you can do is get advice from the college, not us. You should be alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Yup, agreement here, BFM is right here. Phone Aisling O'Grady, the Arts Student Advisor, 716 8349, on Monday and ask her advice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Serenity

Phew, thanks for the advice and info everyone. :) Really helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Yup, agreement here, BFM is right here. Phone Aisling O'Grady, the Arts Student Advisor, 716 8349, on Monday and ask her advice. :)

I agree with this advice. Aisling is a lovely person and will give all the support you need.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm just finisheing second year and when we were in first year, I never filled out a form, nor did I hear about any such form and I'm on my way into third year now, I wouldn't worry about stuff like that, just talk to the programmes office, they're actually very helpful, contrary to belief. Sorry to hear about your brother, hope he is alright now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I handed mine in the week before end of term. Nps so i doubt there would be any problems if you hand it in now.

Advertisement