Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cash Price

Options
  • 18-05-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Realistcally how much can you expect to get off the price of a second hand car for cash in a dealership. The car I have in mind is around €18K. Ideally i'd like to get it for €17k, what are my chances?

Cheers
    -JJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Pretty good, I bought a car last week for 14 and the dealer wanted 15, theres always a bit of room to haggle. Remember to offer less then what you want to pay of course.

Tell him youll take it right now for 16.5 but thats as high as you can go and take it from there.

Oh, and search online for similar cars, print out the cheapest you can find and bring it along to point out how expensive your dealer is, imply you are going to view said car next week but would buy locally blah blah

I'm sure others more experienced then me at this have better tips too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There is no straight answer, unfortunately, it really depends on how keen the dealer is to shift the car. My advice would be to start off by asking the seller for their absolute bottom line. Call them back some time later and offer €500 below this figure. From that point on, keep putting the onus on them to come up with a figure, rather than making another offer yourself. You'll soon find out what the bottom line is.

By the way, i'm not sure whether you know this but a cash deal means that you have no trade-in. The actual method of payment (ie finance, draft, euro notes) is completely irrelevant.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It depends on how the car is priced in the first place, see what similar models are going for. what's the details on the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

You should be alright there. The dealers could give you that discount.
    Expensive cars are overpriced anyway for this kind of circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

basically if a dealer is accepting a price its too much :) always try 500 less than he reckons is rock bottom.

normally you should get a 7-10% discount for cash

• Advertisement
Advertisement