Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of moving to three

• 18-05-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

sorry in advance for another three thread.

basically i'm thinking of moving to three. i've 2 questions:

1) are any of the other established networks going to come out with a mobile broadband add-on that remotely rivals three's offering any time soon- I see meteor are offering 10gb for €30? but I don't think I need 10gb for that price tbh- i'd prefer something less for cheaper- and i'm not mad about meteor's voice tarriffs either. so are vf or o2 about to do anything soon.

2) exactly how crap are three. on the face of it their price plans seem to be no-brainers compared to the other networks but from the stories here i'm just a bit wary of them.

tbh if it's just a customer service problem I'm thinking maybe I can get by without relying on
    them too much- I don't use vf cs too much atm tbh. is this realistic though.

any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Hey great questions, i feel the same way. One other concern is coverage, i was talking to a carphonewarehouse rep and he told me that 3 don't have any coverage in my area and that it would piggy back of the vodafone network .The problem is that i would have to manually select the vodafone network from the phone setting and that it wouldn't happen automatically. That sounds like a real pain . Need to check with 3 to see if thats true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i dunno ive been with all providers now and three are the only ones ive renewed a contract with, mobile bb is great, no reception probs and cheapest tariffs, also love the prem goals etc

im in dublin mostly tho.

delighted with the service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Cyrus wrote:
    i dunno ive been with all providers now and three are the only ones ive renewed a contract with, mobile bb is great, no reception probs and cheapest tariffs, also love the prem goals etc

im in dublin mostly tho.

delighted with the service :)

From reading your reviews i might consider moving to 3 when my contract expires with o2. :)

well to me (if you are in dublin anyway) its a bit of a no brainer, but im not looking for anything crazy either, i use the phone for calls, texts, gps (but thats nothing to do with 3) and internet, i find the mobile bb add on great just for checking cinema times etc.

but ive never had any cause to ring customer care etc and that seems to be where people have trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mkl

Once you manaully select vodafone, you wouldn't need to keep changing it so it wouldn't be that much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mkl wrote:
    Once you manaully select vodafone, you wouldn't need to keep changing it so it wouldn't be that much hassle.
    and you don't actually have to do that which is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

1) are any of the other established networks going to come out with a mobile broadband add-on that remotely rivals three's offering any time soon- I see meteor are offering 10gb for €30? but I don't think I need 10gb for that price tbh- i'd prefer something less for cheaper- and i'm not mad about meteor's voice tarriffs either. so are vf or o2 about to do anything soon.

So far I've found the 100mb package to be more than sufficent for me as the vast majority of the sites that I visit are wap optimised and therefore less intensive on your available allowance. I must admit that I'm not aware of any other networks offerings.
    2) exactly how crap are three. on the face of it their price plans seem to be no-brainers compared to the other networks but from the stories here i'm just a bit wary of them.

Stories you read on here (for any network) will always be negative - people won't go to the bother of writing a thread about a good experience with a network because lets face it, we expect things to work and it's only when things go haywire that we decide to tell the world about how bad something is!

Personally I'm a happy Three company and would recommend them to anyone.

Stories you read on here (for any network) will always be negative - people won't go to the bother of writing a thread about a good experience with a network because lets face it, we expect things to work and it's only when things go haywire that we decide to tell the world about how bad something is!

while that may be true, i don't really hear to many others complain about the service or customer care for the other networks . 3 users definitely are complaining the most on this board. There might be other reasons though, maybe 3 offering attracts the geekier members of society with there competitive data offering .... just the type of people who would voice there complainants on a mobile forum.

what are the main complaints tho? ive never really had reason to ring customer care on any network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I'm with them since August 05 with no problems.

By the way did anyone check out the link below where you can chat to three customer service through web chat, just click on questions - talk to an advisor now

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I would recommend them. I've been with them about 18 months. Their customer service is annoying but the network is good and the tarrifs are great. I would go with them and hope the CS improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Thanks Cyrus i will look at their tariffs and see what suits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I have 3 since they came to Ireland and in the beginning it was bad (roaming did not work etc.) but since about 1 year the network is brilliant for voice quality and data quality. Roaming is cheap due to the fact that I go to countries where they have 3 at home a lot. Their prices are great too.

BUT if you ever need help (bill issue, handset issue) they are 3rd world bad. It was okay while bill pay customers when to the UK for calls, now it's all India and it is extemly bad. Don't expect help of any sort or any unscripted interaction.

Good while it works, extemly bad if something goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

thanks for the input.
    i'll definitely be considering moving alright.

but just a query about the 3g to gprs issue:
    does that mean if you're connected to the net in a 3g area and you then enter a gprs area you will lose the connection and have to manually reconfigure it to reconnect in the gprs area.

that sounds like a pain in the ar$e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

mkennedy wrote:
    thanks for the input.
    i'll definitely be considering moving alright.

but just a query about the 3g to gprs issue:
    does that mean if you're connected to the net in a 3g area and you then enter a gprs area you will lose the connection and have to manually reconfigure it to reconnect in the gprs area.

that sounds like a pain in the ar$e.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There is no mobile Broadband in non-3G areas.

On the face of it, they actually have a fairly decent network. i.e. if you have mobile BB on a billpay account for example works whereas on 3Pay it's basic. It would be unbeatable value otherwise.

The pricing of video messages equivalent to text messages is excellent.

For normal standard use in Dublin then I'd say go ahead but if you have any issues and have to deal with customer care then you will likely not get any satisfaction. Three are a technology focused company and not a customer based one. e.g. for 3pay mobile broadband you can only get age verification by physically going to one of their only two stores in Dublin. What use is that in Kerry or Donegal ( not that they have much 3G coverage anyway)?

I would also question their non-dublin coverage aswell as I've been in a couple of places where not-only could I not get three coverage but it would not roam onto vodafone for either.

Anyway the answer to the question is simple - sign up and you have 14 days to reconsider - more than enough time to evaluate the service. For me that was enough to escape a year long contract.

Anyway the answer to the question is simple - sign up and you have 14 days to reconsider - more than enough time to evaluate the service. For me that was enough to escape a year long contract.
    it wasn't until i upgrade my phone that i had a problem with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I was with 3 for a year and only for the fact that I was leaving the country I would have remained with them. Any time I called CS they were very friendly and helpful although this was prior to the call center being moved to India. I'm not saying that the Indian staff are poor, just that I have had no dealings with them!

Last year my 6680 died completely, I rang CS in the afternoon, explained the problem and had a new 6680 delivered to my door the next morning. I was well impressed tbh.

Last year my 6680 died completely, I rang CS in the afternoon, explained the problem and had a new 6680 delivered to my door the next morning. I was well impressed tbh.
    my 6680 broke and a new one was sent out to me in college. i even arranged for him to be there at 1 so i'd be on my lunch. that was when 3 were good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

From a tarrif and network point of view they're fine.

Customer service is shockingly poor if something goes wrong. Perhaps I've just been very unlucky, but I really think they need to get their C.S. back on track fast. It's a major down side to them at the moment and there's no real reason why it should be so shoddy either. I suspect it's a poorly managed switch over from Scotland to India.

Personally, I think they can do most c/s from outside of Ireland or the UK, but when it comes to some issues they need to be handled locally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

There is no mobile Broadband in non-3G areas.

lads is this true. does mobile broadband work in gprs areas at all.

and if it does, will mobile bb in a gprs area cost you the same as in a 3g area.

mkennedy wrote:

and if it does, will mobile bb in a gprs area cost you the same as in a 3g area.

There certainly was when I got the datacard at the outset.
    Latterly I have noticed that my dataSIM (inserted in an N95) is no longer roaming onto Vodafone the way it used to.
    As the conditions of the new datamodem (and 10GB SIM) is that there will be no voice, no SMS and no *non-UTMS roaming* (national or international) perhaps this has been changed across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mkennedy wrote:

If you sign up for a new a/c whether billpay or 3pay, the only things options available are ones you can pay for i.e. buy music and pitures. No surfing whatsoever.

If you sign up for a new a/c whether billpay or 3pay, the only things options available are ones you can pay for i.e. buy music and pitures. No surfing whatsoever.

Ahh man that would totally suck for me .... i live in a non 3G area. I was on the fence and thinking of going to 3 because of there BB rates. No point leaving vodafone now :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Anyone know how much of a difference there is between the billpay and 3pay broadband?
    I mean is one quicker or can one access more than the other?

storka wrote:
    Anyone know how much of a difference there is between the billpay and 3pay broadband?
    I mean is one quicker or can one access more than the other?

3pay broadband is crippled. That is to say that a) the handset canot be used as a modem with a laptop or desktop and b) some surfing on the phone is restricted and services such as VoiP etc are not guaranteed to work. That's the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I know that there were plenty of areas where I had GSM coverage only, with no data service AT ALL.

I'm in urban areas mostly, so it's fine, it's usually fully 3G all the time.

I also found that my handset will drop calls when it jumps from Vodafone back to 3 or visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

culabula wrote:
    3pay broadband is crippled. That is to say that a) the handset canot be used as a modem with a laptop or desktop and b) some surfing on the phone is restricted and services such as VoiP etc are not guaranteed to work. That's the difference.

Ok thanks. a) wouldnt concern me because I wouldnt want to use it as a modem and b) wouldnt so long as I can access gmail and some other sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Just checked 3's website. K800i and N73 are discontinued??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Why was the n73 discontinued? nice phone.

Advertisement