Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless broadband crawling on laptop

• 18-05-2007 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

:) hi,

Not really very techy so bear with me, My wireless broadband connection on my laptop has been crawling for the last week or so. Its not the service provider because I have another computer in the house and thats wireless too and thats fine. I tried turning that off to see if it was hogging all the broadband but that didnt work, I updated the drivers on my laptop and did a virus and adwear check but that came up with nothing.. I'm running out of ideas and patience..:confused:

Anyone got any ideas..

Just in case it was working fine up until about a week ago, and I havent installed anything on it in the last week.

Also when I run the windows diagnostic tool it says either my ftp or https connection has failed, I dont know what this means.

thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

strong1 wrote:
    :) hi,

Not really very techy so bear with me, My wireless broadband connection on my laptop has been crawling for the last week or so. Its not the service provider because I have another computer in the house and thats wireless too and thats fine. I tried turning that off to see if it was hogging all the broadband but that didnt work, I updated the drivers on my laptop and did a virus and adwear check but that came up with nothing.. I'm running out of ideas and patience..:confused:

Anyone got any ideas..

Just in case it was working fine up until about a week ago, and I havent installed anything on it in the last week.

Also when I run the windows diagnostic tool it says either my ftp or https connection has failed, I dont know what this means.

thanks for reading

Have you tried changing the channel? Have you tried turning off your security (briefly:)? And the inevitable question have you tried virus checks etc.

Have you tried an ethernet connection with the laptop to see how it is performing that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

It could be one of your neighbors now has broadband and is using the same channel so chaning channel might work. It could also be the position of the modem - have you moved it or moved the wifi antenna - this can have a dramatic affect!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 strong1

dub45

What does changing the channel mean?

Turned off my firewall, didnt work, tried it with an ethernet cable works fine, but only have a short ethernet cable so thats only a short term soln, and did all the virus checks.. nothing :(

Rather_b_diving

The modem is where its being for the last 6 mths, so dont think thats the issue

Again whats this channelling?

Thanks for yer replies :)

Wireless routers send out their signals on particular channels. If you look in the wireless set up in your router you should be able to see the channel which it is using. Often when a neighbour gets a wireless router there can be clashes with consequential interference because routers by default often use the same wireless channel. Your wireless utility on your laptop should be showing you if there are any other networks in the immediate area. A programme like netstumbler will show up other networks and the channel they are using - this would give you the opportunity to change away from that channel if indeed that is the problem.

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

dub45 wrote:
    Wireless routers send out their signals on particular channels. If you look in the wireless set up in your router you should be able to see the channel which it is using. Often when a neighbour gets a wireless router there can be clashes with consequential interference because routers by default often use the same wireless channel. Your wireless utility on your laptop should be showing you if there are any other networks in the immediate area. A programme like netstumbler will show up other networks and the channel they are using - this would give you the opportunity to change away from that channel if indeed that is the problem.

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

By the way do you have your security turned on in your router just in case someone is using your wireless connection?

Any chance of trying your laptop in a hotspot just to see how it performs there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 strong1

ok changed the channel to a few different ones and that didnt work..

yip my router is secured by WEB, so that should be ok

and have my laptop in the same room as the router, and still no better.

My computer which is also wireless works fine,

rang dell, trying to get someone to come out and pick it up cos I'm loosing patience here..

thanks again for all yer help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

sounds like a possible virus infection or a windows corruption somewhere.

seeing as your other wireless computer connects with no speed probs, that's what i would be leaning towards. other people seem to have missed this point. Lets say your wireless channel is 6 and the other computer works fine on it...changing channel prob won't fix your laptop (but worth a try anyway)

Advertisement