Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out

Options
  • 18-05-2007 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Will dropping out have any effect on reapplying to another course in future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I don't think so, but you might want to ask a career guidance-ey person in college. I would have dropped out of my course, but by the time I realised that I didn't like it, I had already invested three years. Sigh.

Not trying to scare you, but if you drop out, you will have a gap in your CV which you'll have to explain to future employers...

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Not really.

There is one small thing I can think of, but I guess it's fairly unusual. If the course you are reapplying for is also in UCD, and you would be eligible to receive an entrance scholarship, you will not receive it as you have changed course.

Like I said, a very specific set of circumstances, but it's still something.

edit: and since I re-read your post and it says "applying for" another course, I guess my point is kind of moot. Alas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

It wont affect you reapplying, what dont you like of the course.If you have exams in the summer just sit them and then think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

but if you sit the exams then don't you have to pay fees for that semester next year? if the op left before the exams they'd only have to pay fees for one semester.......i think????? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Check with the college that you want to apply to...
    I know when I transferred to UCD from Trinity they had some funny rule about failing exams in your old college if you weren't transferring within UCD. I had to write a grovelling letter to the admin ppl cos I had failed exams in Trinity, but they did let me in! Mind you, I applied for an internal transfer in Trinity as a plan B and that went ok, no grovelling letters required. So yeah it's best to check just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

you wont qualify or free fees and will have to pay around 4500 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Depend on what course you choose how much you pay, arts based ones are around 4,500e a year.

Science/ health sci ones go up to 8 or 9 grand a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

You pay fees for the same number of years you've already sat afaik.

ie If I do first year and transfer, I pay for one years tuitition but after that Im back to free fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

You get free fees for each year once. Ie if u do one year then switch to another course you have to pay fees for that new courses first year.

What im curious about is, say you finish a three year course then do another 4 year course. Do you get the 4th year of the 4 year course paid for? Kinda off topic i realise.

• Advertisement

A guy in my class was doing a four year course dropped out after three, he's getting his final year with us paid for.

I think it's if you do a year of a course that you've already done that year in another course you pay those fees.

Actually BK the way you're talking about i.e. finishing a course then deciding you want to do another you'd be liable for all four years fees because you've already finished one third level course.

The only exception I can think of is say you do a certificate in something, say engineering, then you decide you want to stay on for the Diploma, and then you decide you want to get the degree, because it's a step up process you're not liable for fees doing it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Cheers for the info. I'll be reapplying to UCD. And taking this year off for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

cheers steph and gl next year then 18ad :)

18AD wrote:
    Cheers for the info. I'll be reapplying to UCD. And taking this year off for working.

Might be an idea then to talk to the careers office, you may be able to reapply internally then take a year out within that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

B-K-DzR wrote:
    What im curious about is, say you finish a three year course then do another 4 year course. Do you get the 4th year of the 4 year course paid for? Kinda off topic i realise.
    Nope. You only get free fees until you get your first undergrad degree.

Good luck, OP, hope the decision is the right one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Nope. You only get free fees until you get your first undergrad degree.
    If you do music through arts, you get your BA after 3 years and then can apply to join the 4th year of the BMus degree, and receive 2 degrees in 4 years, and it's all free fees, so it might depend on the course that you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

SumGuy wrote:
    If you do music through arts, you get your BA after 3 years and then can apply to join the 4th year of the BMus degree, and receive 2 degrees in 4 years, and it's all free fees, so it might depend on the course that you're doing.
    You dont think that in any way analogous to what Steph said:

"The only exception I can think of is say you do a certificate in something, say engineering, then you decide you want to stay on for the Diploma, and then you decide you want to get the degree, because it's a step up process you're not liable for fees doing it that way."

No its not the exact same, but seems like a fairly sound principle that if it's a step up process you're not liable for fees doing it that way

Yeah the step up principle also applies to converting degrees. Like it's the same for going from a BA Comp Sci to a BSc Comp Sci and a BSC General to a BSc Hons for any of the Science degrees. If you're doing a fourth year to get a different degree type thing then it also qualifies for free fees.

Feel free to add any more degrees that I can't think of that have this process.

Advertisement