Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrailing - Where to go?

• 18-05-2007 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Going interrailing for a month in August, don't have a clue where i'll go though, but open to any suggestions, east or west, i'm not pushed, preferably a start and end point which are cheap to fly home from, and somewhere where we could spend 5 days or so as we only have a 22 day ticket but want to be gone for a month

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

well, everywhere has its charm I'm sure, but 5 of us went in July of last year, and took the following route in Western Europe:

Firstly, flew into Brussels with Ryanair

Brussels > Amsterdam > Paris > Annecy > Paris..again > Munich > Vienna > Zwiesel (small town off the radar in Germany, sort of like a German Leitrim) > Hamburg > Copenhagen > Cologne > Brussels, where we flew home..

All in 22 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

was that enough time in each place? oh and how much did u spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

We had 22 days, and some places we would only spend a day in (Zwiesel?!!), whereas others took 3/4 days. If you're with mates, the train journeys can be half the craic.

I would definitely recommend Annecy; its a French town, located on a lake beside the Alps. The weather is Mediterranean, the lake is fitted with diving boards etc (crystal blue waters), the campsites in the area are beautiful and the nightlife was good.

For 22 days camping, I spent just under €1000

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,665 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Must recommend Vienna (which was my favourite city along the way), and Budapest (a pleasant surprise, plus we got cheap flights in). Also thouroughly enjoyed Munich and Berlin. Prague was so-so, and you know in advance whether you'll like Amsterdam or not.

I went Cherbourg -> Paris -> Biot/Antibes (small towns near Nice) -> Rome -> Venice -> Zagreb (for a total of 1 hour!) -> Split -> Hvar -> Budapest -> Prague -> Berlin in around a month.

We took some time off (around 5 days in Biot/Antibes and Hvar) on the way, but most other places were 2 or 3 days there. I think we were also gone for just under a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

We did Switzerland / Austria / Germany / Denmark

Salzburg / Munich / Berlin / Hamburg were hightlights :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The thing that I found about traveling around western Europe (France, Spain, Germany) was that they where very familer. We see allot of their culture in the media and while that's nothing compared to actually being there they just didn't have the same impact as Prague had when I first saw it.

I think Eastern Europe is the best place to travel, it's got everything the western countrys have from nightlife to beaches at a fraction of the cost. The countrys also feel that little bit more alien to what you'd be used to but your still inside the realitive security of the EU. The rail network isn't anywhere near as good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Went last year and went...

Paris > Brussels > Amsterdam > Berlin > Prague > Munich > Vienna > Rome > Nice > Barcelona

Had a blast but one regret. The places like Paris, Germany, Barcelona and Rome, as great and fantastic as they were, were predictable if that makes sense? If going again i'd venture further east where I have no idea about Hungary, Croatia and such, real unknown territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Ok so we've decided to go Amsterdam - Essen - Ljubljana - Dubrovnik - Budapest - Bratislava - Prague - Krakow, with perhaps a few stops for a day or two in between as these are long enough journeys, we have 26 days, do people think this is too many places to go to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭afatbollix

im heading off on monday week... first we are going to Amsterdam -> brussels (for a music fest) -> switzerland -> monaco -> france -> spain (bassicly for a 18-30 holiday ) then up north for the bull run and then to midread for plane home...

but work havent paid me back my tax back so no money basterds!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

8 places in 26 days? Not too much at all. Distances I'm not 100% on, but it's definitly possible.

We're doing 8 places in 18 days so ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

I'm doing a kind of a crazy interrailing trip half alone, half with people which at the moment is

Barcelona>Ljubljana (where I'm meeting friends, requires and overnight in Milan or Zurich)>Venice>Vienna>Prague (fingers crossed I may be meeting people)>Brataslava>Budapest>Munich>Berlin>Paris (staying with my cousin)>London (chunnell last day of my ticket/meeting my mum)

12 places in 26 days

Maybe I should rethink this. Well I'm only really going to Paris for one night, same with Munich and Vienna and Milan/Zurich. So it's 10 places to stay place in 22 days, well 24 when i fly home. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

dcarroll wrote:
    Ok so we've decided to go Amsterdam - Essen - Ljubljana - Dubrovnik - Budapest - Bratislava - Prague - Krakow, with perhaps a few stops for a day or two in between as these are long enough journeys, we have 26 days, do people think this is too many places to go to?
    I'm heading in 2 weeks. The guys I'm going with are doing Romania (from Hungary), Bulgaria, Greece and Italy in the space of a 10 days... I think thats pushing it considering the distances are pretty big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah gubbie, that's a really tight schedule in 10 days. Romanian and Bulgarian transport is very slow, Greek's not a whole lot better...

Advertisement